Running in a new car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2003, 04:34   #1 (permalink)

Running in a new car

If there is not another delay, I will be picking up my brand spanking new XR6 Turbo during this week. I have not owned a brand new car before and have not had to go through the process of running one in. I have been asking around the people at work who have also bought new cars on the leasing plan I am getting the Turbo on and asked at the local Ford dealer about the best way to run it in.

The variation in responses have been amazing! From advice like "drive it like its on egg shells for the first 1,500 kms" to "hammer it to bed the engine in". I can understand both points of view. The dude that told me to hammer the car has an AUIII XR8 Ute which he drove hard from new, with about 20,000 kms on the clock now, it is a very tight and very fast car. However on the other hand I also understand that the dealer can download all the work the engine has done and see that I have been driving it hard right from the start, which may have an impact on warranty.

The main thing I am after here is a car that is not going to s**t itself but one that is as fast as any other XR6 Turbo out there. There are obviously heaps of late model ford owners visit this forum, would appreciate it if they could drop a quick replay and tell me how they ran their car in and what issues, if any, arose by driving the car hard early in it's life.

Thanks,

BA Turbs
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2003, 06:15   #2 (permalink)

Driven like I stole it from day one Nov '02, Dynoed two weeks ago at 210kw's (Yes shootout mode that's not the question let's leave this path)
Apart from a noisy belt-alternator on cold start's, havent had a problem.

I tend to believe that either way you go you cant make a mistake, they both have there good point's and there bad point's, as long as your not putting a great deal of load on the motor all the time. ie being in third when you should be in second.
Dagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:17   #3 (permalink)

Re: Running in a new car

true made sure you dont remain at a constant rpm for a long time like on a freeway.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
IDAREU - Back on the Road

I still haven't used my cruise control yet, I'm now on 2450kms.
sdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 21:23   #5 (permalink)
RACE

As long as the oil is at operating temp. then it should'nt matter how you drive. And yes, avoid constant rpm/speeds on freeways etc.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:28   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys, picked up the beast last Wednesday, now have 1100kms on board, and loving it, other than the $1,000 damage I did to the passanger side rear qtr last night when I backed into a house
(Why couldn't I have done that in any of the other SH*T cars I have owned in the past? First new car, first car I have ever damaged... Stoopid).

I haven't really been too light on it, nor have I thrashed it, still to hit the rev limiter!
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 00:51   #7 (permalink)
I am The Brain

The advice my brother-in-law got when he got his XR6 was to vary the revs, but not take the thing over 4500 revs. Therefore have fun.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo