Sat Nav - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 18:27   #1 (permalink)
F6

Sat Nav

Hi all,

I am tossing up ordering Sat Nav with a new F6. However I was interested in anyones comments on the ford option. At $4400 it is expensive and thought there might be alternatives out there from aftermarket companies.

My first concerns are how seemless the integration is and cost. So what are my options? I am also interested in anyones opinons on the Ford option if they have it?

Regards,
FINER9
FINER9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 19:22   #2 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Re: Sat Nav

You could also have a look at the VDO ones. They adapt to the BAs and can integrate with the TFT screen, and have a few additional features. Im not sure of cost, but apparently they are good. Comes with a remote control too which also integrates.

And you can use the VDO satnav while in motion - Ford one I THINK you have to stop the car to use it. Even with a passenger using it. VDO, a passenger can use it while youre driving.

I think VDO is slightly cheaper than the Ford one, from memory.

Might be worth looking into.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 19:29   #3 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

The Ford unit is a sensational one, have a good whack of experience with it and it is so amazingly complete, brilliantly integrated into the colour screen, can still change station, HVAC controls whilst using it and can change the voices on the player, mark your favourite destinations, good colour and clarity, choice of modes/maps.... agreed it is a little expensive compared to some of the cheaper aftermarket jobs, but it's totally factory integrated, covered by your Factory Warranty and best of all, a thief would have no idea at all if it was fitted or not unless you left the remote in... not like thay can steal it anyway, which is a strong point. That's my view of the factory unit anyway, anyone else with aftermarket reviews?

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 23:26   #4 (permalink)
F6

Thanks for the info... from what i can understand the factory Ford Sat nav is a VDO Siemens unit rebadged, can anyone confirm?

Is it true that the Ford factory unit cannot be used while in motion like XRchic said?

I cannot find any good websites that detail an aftermarket model that integrates with the Ford display. Anyone have any?
Old 10-13-2004, 23:34   #5 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

I understand destination cannot be entered or changed whilst in motion, the rest can be played with at your leisure as you drive. By entered I mean physically searched, typed and basically anything requiring concentration. Makes safety sense.

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:36   #6 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Having owned one for 18 months:-
Reasons to get the internal DENSO unit.
1) it is built into the car i.e uses the ICC and sound system
2) it does not need GPS satellites to work ir also has internal gyros (the cheapos get VERY lost in tunnels, car parks, places with tall buildings close together)
3) it can tell you have turned a corner imedeiately without waiting to GPS ploting to work it out
4) has a renote control i.e. you don't need to lean over to program it
5) it has a big screen

Reasons to buy a Navman 630 or Garmin 2610 etc.
1) shitloads cheaper
2) much, much, much better map coverage in the bush
3) transportable between cars
4) data updates are cheaper.

The map data is a major pain, it all comes from whereis, which is owned by sensis, which is owned by TELSTRA so you can understand why it is a fcukup.
The data on the portables is much better in the bush which really cracks me up as they only hold 128Mb and the DVD database on my Ford one is several gigabytes. The DVD will probably catch up though.

All in all I have used one in Mel, Syd, Most of QLD and NT and it is GREAT
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:52   #7 (permalink)

I say go with the Ford fitted one.... It fits nicely into the premium sound and is covered by Ford's warranty... And from what I hear, it is very, very good.
Wasn't sat nav a $3,600 option on BA MK1???
micmansour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 14:56   #8 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmansour
Wasn't sat nav a $3,600 option on BA MK1???
yes plus 25% LCT, bastards
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 18:15   #9 (permalink)
Mid-life crisis

Talking to a dealer yesterday, he said Ford are using a bosch system and its been upgraded, though they didn't have specific details and not ONE vehicle with it fitted for me to look at. He also knows of an aftermarket bosch system, fully compatible with the ICC and up to $1k cheaper. Only trouble is ..... the dash has to be removed to fit it which isn't ideal.

The technology is available for these DVD based systems to not only have GPS but to play DVD's, CD's MP3's etc, though I don't think theres any in Aus yet that would have the mapping software. Anyway for those interested heres a link to a Pioneer version:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sbTW5q3...sp?i=130AVICN1
fpv f6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 20:19   #10 (permalink)
F6

What is the likely hood of haveing MP3's play throught your standard FPV/Ford unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo