Standard Unleaded OR Premium - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2004, 05:30   #1 (permalink)

Standard Unleaded OR Premium

And if so, which Premium is better.
I have just purchased my new XR6 Turbo and hope to have it within 6-8 weeks.

Since I'm not really a petrol, and given the wife my 2000 model Magna Sports,
I have suddenly (overnight) been totally converted at the rip old age of 38, to becoming a petrol head and cant read enough about ford XR6's.

I now need advice on what petrol to use and also why cant I use standard unleaded?

cheers
dutchie

XR6 Turbo, with Sunroof, Premium Sound, Tinted windows etc etc
dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2004, 16:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: Standard Unleaded OR Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchie
There is big debate going on about premium fuels in the thread "Is Optimax crap or brilliant?". Have a look there.
[QUOTE=dutchie]
/[QUOTE]Congratulations!
Quote:
Since I'm not really a petrol
(Who is? :-P )
Quote:
, and given the wife my 2000 model Magna Sports,
I have suddenly (overnight) been totally converted at the rip old age of 38, to becoming a petrol head and cant read enough about ford XR6's.
Watch the "old" stuff kid!
Quote:
I now need advice on what petrol to use and also why cant I use standard unleaded?
You can use normal unleaded, but with a performance penalty. Premium unleaded is recommended, not mandatory. Having said that, I would suggest always using premium for best efficiency.
Quote:
cheers
dutchie

March 2004 BA XR6 TURBO Mercury Silver, SSS Auto, 18" Wheels, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, added lamps to those little courtesy light holders in the footwells that Ford thought we wouldn't notice, and a big grin.
DavidL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 19:53   #3 (permalink)

Quote:

Since I'm not really a petrol, and given the wife my 2000 model Magna Sports,

cheers
dutchie

I would use the 98 RON stuff, at least as a minimum for the breaking-in period which for me is up to 5000km.

If you dont mind paying the extra 8-10c / litre, then you should stick to the 98 RON (BP Ultimate or Optimax) fuel. If you are looking at budgeting, my dealer recommended that one way of getting around this is to only fill up using 98RON every intermitent fill (ie..every 2 or 3rd tank). This way you keep the RON average in your tak to 94-96.

I am still using the full 98 RON stuff - (BP Ultimate is better !), and will continue because I want to look after my engine for the long term. For $4 extra / tank (ie..40 litres x 10c), I think it will be worth it in the long run.
Old 04-09-2004, 22:28   #4 (permalink)

I would use 98 at all times prefably optimax or Mobil synergy, apparently if the car uses a lower grade fuel and the knock sensor makes adjustments to work with this lower grade fuel the adjustments will stay even when good 98 fuel is used hence lower power. Apparently one guys car was making low power due to the fuel he was using, even though he had switched to 98.When it was taken back to Ford they cleared the correction in the ECU and it was fine again.
Cheers
TURBO4LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 22:38   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO4LT
I would use 98 at all times prefably optimax or Mobil synergy, apparently if the car uses a lower grade fuel and the knock sensor makes adjustments to work with this lower grade fuel the adjustments will stay even when good 98 fuel is used hence lower power. Apparently one guys car was making low power due to the fuel he was using, even though he had switched to 98.When it was taken back to Ford they cleared the correction in the ECU and it was fine again.
Cheers
Yep, this applied to my car too (AU XR6 VCT). Not only did the power stay away when I switched to 98 but it ran so rich that it caused other issues witht he cat. I ended up resetting the ECU and it no longer runs rich, or at least not as rich, but I now need to replace my cat!!!

My thoughts on 91 octane fuel? Leave it to the family hack, any person who values performance in their car should only run 98 or 95 if thats all thats avaliable!

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo