Test drive of an F6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 16:23   #1 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Test drive of an F6

I had a test drive of an F6 and thought I would share my thoughts with you compared to by previous BAXR8 and other drives I have had of XR6T’s. I’ll try not to compare it to the RZ TT Supra as it wouldn't be a very fair.

The F6 was definitely a nicer thing to drive than the BA XR8. Better balanced for starters and had much better performance feel to it from the weight of the clutch to how the engine responds. One of my concerns with the hypo 6 was driving around a $60k Muscle car which sounded as asthmatic as an XT. The F6 was nothing like that at all. It was very quite in fact with just a hint of a deep burble and waste-gate noise. Better than the XR8 however? ..not a chance.

Acceleration between the two was surprising similar with the F6 having much more mid range but less top end than the XR8. The XR8 always felt like it was doing it easy, but the F6 in comparision feels like it hadn’t even begun to play. The restrictions on this car are much more obvious than the XR and GT models, which can be both exciting initially and frustrating at the same time.

Compared to XR6T, I only have a series one comparison to go on. Balance of the XR6T is marginally better due to less weight I would imagine, but the performance ‘feel’ of the XR6T was more doughy and basic in comparison i.e. clutch/gear change/pedal/steering. Acceleration wise for normal driving you won’t pick the two, but the difference becomes quite obvious when you get into the mid range. From a cockpit point of view with my XR8, I always had the bonnet bulge and the sound to remind me that I wasn’t just in any main stream Falcon. With the XR6T you don’t have these benefits to the same degree so in comparison to the F6, the step down in user experience from the cockpit point of view would be much more obvious I would imagine. The F6 cockpit was quite impressive in fact with just a touch of 'boy-racer' style without becoming distasteful.

So ideally what would I want? A GT or GT-P with F6 ‘edited’ performance and a Herrod V8 sound. Don’t ask for much do I.

Colville

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 20:30   #2 (permalink)
Mid-life crisis

Re: Test drive of an F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
So ideally what would I want? A GT or GT-P with F6 ‘edited’ performance and a Herrod V8 sound. Don’t ask for much do I.

Colville

Hehe ... Colville you just want yer cake and to eat it too. I dunno, but I really like the F6 sound especially blipping the throttle at low revs round town, sounds ok to me!

Great to hear your views. I didn't know dealers were releasing F6's for test drives at the moment... My dealer said they'd taken a several orders despite the lack of a test drive and any confirmed delivery times.
fpv f6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 22:02   #3 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv f6t
Hehe ... Colville you just want yer cake and to eat it too. I dunno, but I really like the F6 sound especially blipping the throttle at low revs round town, sounds ok to me!

Great to hear your views. I didn't know dealers were releasing F6's for test drives at the moment... My dealer said they'd taken a several orders despite the lack of a test drive and any confirmed delivery times.
It appears that I do like cake! Don't get me wrong about the F6 sound, I was actually impressed with it, just not quite as much has a BOSS V8 sound. I too was surprised to get the call from my dealer but wasn't going to knock it back. They claimed this F6 was 'sorted' clutch wise so all must be ok now (or starting to be). They claimed if I ordered one now it would take no longer than usual to be delivered. What's the 'usual'? I should have asked..lol

fpv f6t, I can now see why you love your car so much anyway
F6 or GT next for me, I'm just not sure yet.

Old 03-17-2005, 00:57   #4 (permalink)
MYF6

There is nothing like the sound of the Ford V8. But then again run 14lbs of boost through an F6 and you get just as many hairs standing on the back of your neck.

With an RZ TT I'm sure you know what I mean
Old 03-17-2005, 02:05   #5 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYF6
There is nothing like the sound of the Ford V8. But then again run 14lbs of boost through an F6 and you get just as many hairs standing on the back of your neck.

With an RZ TT I'm sure you know what I mean
I certainly do know what you mean MYF6! The RZ somewhat spoilt my experience with the F6. It's a bit like hopping out of an Porche 911 and into a Falcon. I knew the F6 would have it's worked cut out to impress me from a driving point of view. This is why I chose to compare it to my former BA XR8. When you think about it, both cars have similar power out puts and when optioned up with the premium brakes etc (XR8) they are not that far apart on price ($55k vs $58k).

Old 04-07-2005, 05:58   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
It appears that I do like cake! Don't get me wrong about the F6 sound, I was actually impressed with it, just not quite as much has a BOSS V8 sound. I too was surprised to get the call from my dealer but wasn't going to knock it back. They claimed this F6 was 'sorted' clutch wise so all must be ok now (or starting to be). They claimed if I ordered one now it would take no longer than usual to be delivered. What's the 'usual'? I should have asked..lol

fpv f6t, I can now see why you love your car so much anyway
F6 or GT next for me, I'm just not sure yet.
Go for the best of both worlds... twin turbo XR8 mmmmmmmm
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 21:47   #7 (permalink)

I was offered a test drive of an F6 today, it still had the original clutch so I didnt give much of a hiding. I found the clutch felt like it would catch a bit when you let it out after giving it a bit(hence the very slow drive back to the dealership) and it also had a rattle in the clutch around 1500 and 3000 revs. I assume all this will be rectified with the new clutch anyway.

Other than that though the car had heaps of torque was nice and quiet, transmission felt ok (wouldnt say perfect) but is very easy to get used to. The 6 speed suits the car down to the ground and has well spaced gear ratios.

Overall though its a well balanced car with heaps of G O and would look mighty fine in my garage. All i need to do is have a talk to the minister of finances and hope for the best.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo