Tossing up between T or N/A - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2004, 20:44   #1 (permalink)

Tossing up between T or N/A

Tossing up between T or N/A new or second hand, most likely second hand. If I buy one 2nd hand, what should I look out for that shows it has been flogged, thrashed, poorly looked after etc. As Is a performance car, obviously some people give them a hiding so do not want to be caught out with a car that could be a lemon. Especially curious what to look out for when buyin a secondhand T.

Thanks for assistance.

Cheers
NB
navy blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 00:58   #2 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Re: Tossing up between T or N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy blue
Tossing up between T or N/A new or second hand, most likely second hand. If I buy one 2nd hand, what should I look out for that shows it has been flogged, thrashed, poorly looked after etc. As Is a performance car, obviously some people give them a hiding so do not want to be caught out with a car that could be a lemon. Especially curious what to look out for when buyin a secondhand T.

Thanks for assistance.

Cheers
NB
Hi NB.

Basically, look at the tyres compared to the age of the car/km it has done. Expect a year old car like mine (say 20 000km), to have tyres half worn or a tad more and not too scuffed. Especially the rears. If it is a year or so old and has NEW tyres, ask why....(obviously if it has done 40 000km in that year then that would explain it - but would you want one that has done that many in a year?)....

If the tyres are badly scuffed, or there are dents in the wheels, then think twice about it.

Take it for a drive and load the clutch - if it slips or is smelly after, then check out the clutch history - the NA in particular has probs with clutch (lighter than in the T). If the clutch is had it, it can also be a sign of thrashing too. Likewise for the gearbox.

Check the oil usage and quality of the oil in it and see if you can find out how much oil has been used over its life.... more thrashing, generally more oil use....

When driving, take note whether or not there is any driveline shunt and misbehaving diff.... although under warranty, Ford should still cover that - there has been diff probs, resulting in driveline shunt....

Obviously if your'e going for an auto, this all does not necessarily apply since most of these are manual issues (T5) but you should be able to tell if the auto is dodgy too.

Overall, tyres and oil usage give the clearest indication from just an inspection point of view.... Maybe also check brake pads. Mine are 10% worn after a year with 15 000km on it to give you some idea and I drive reasonably hard in the hills.

You can pretty much guarantee a T has had a bit of a thrashing though. When looking at T or NA, remember (if you are looking at the manual), the T has the same gearbox as the NA but it has a heavier clutch. Autos are the same.

I would go for the T, but that is just my opinion...it is a matter of what you are wanting it for and whether the extra kW and Nm is worthwhile. Ts are not much more than NA to insure either.

I've driven both NA and T in auto and manual and my pick would be the manual T....

Good luck though!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:11   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Go the T mate you can't go wrong only 6 grand more, easy to do mods, they haul the turbos and down the track you'll probably end up getting back the price difference yo payed in resale vale as the T's will hold value more than the stock XR6 no doubt.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:14   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

never driven either but i have 1 word for you: T U R B O.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:23   #5 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

I'd go the TURBO...

I did !!

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:23   #6 (permalink)
OFR No.33

Hey NB, get the turbo if you can afford it. If you can't afford it still get it. If you get the N/A you will be kicking yourself latter on for not getting the turbo. I'd recommend the auto (i have the auto). Some of the manuals have a problem with driveline shunt which doesn't seem to be an issue with the auto's. If your going to mod the auto will need less spent on it to take the power. Anything over 300rwkw's will need a different manual box (probably T56). If you buy new and can afford one option get the premium sound, if you can afford another get the leather. 18's you can do latter, brake upgrade is about $1000 and will do an asgood or better job than the premiums. With the premium sound (i don't have it, wish i did) you can hook up a DVD player to the indash screen. It also gives you footwell light sockets.
The biggest problem you will have if you get the turbo is trying to wipe the smile off your face.

Geea.

RIP BOOF 28/02/03-20/08/04 12.24@115.38mph
.....HPF.....
geea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:28   #7 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Get the Turbo has to be the best value for money = performance car on the market they have the look too....

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:53   #8 (permalink)

Looks like everyone agrees it is the T? Only wont a stock on with premium sound a must, nothing else. Must admit cannot come close to buying one new so it has to be near new. What should I look for when inspecting a 2ndhand one, ie signs of floggings, motor problems etc.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:39   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geea
Hey NB, get the turbo if you can afford it. If you can't afford it still get it. If you get the N/A you will be kicking yourself latter on for not getting the turbo. I'd recommend the auto (i have the auto). Some of the manuals have a problem with driveline shunt which doesn't seem to be an issue with the auto's. If your going to mod the auto will need less spent on it to take the power. Anything over 300rwkw's will need a different manual box (probably T56). If you buy new and can afford one option get the premium sound, if you can afford another get the leather. 18's you can do latter, brake upgrade is about $1000 and will do an asgood or better job than the premiums. With the premium sound (i don't have it, wish i did) you can hook up a DVD player to the indash screen. It also gives you footwell light sockets.
The biggest problem you will have if you get the turbo is trying to wipe the smile off your face.

Geea.
Geea
Thanks. As I am only new to the T's, what the hell is driveline hunt, heard heaps about it, but don't know anything about it. I am probably going to do no mods as the car will predominatley driven by the wife.
Cheers
NB
Old 05-23-2004, 07:49   #10 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy blue
Geea
Thanks. As I am only new to the T's, what the hell is driveline hunt, heard heaps about it, but don't know anything about it. I am probably going to do no mods as the car will predominatley driven by the wife.
Cheers
NB
Hey sorry to butt in but I mentioned it above....driveline shunt is only in manuals because the auto has a torque converter which absorbs it - so if it is for your wife, and she wants auto, it wont be an issue for you.

It is basically when the driveline sort of jolts around and makes the car jump backwards and forwards (lurching is the closest thing to explain it) at low revs when on and off throttle in the manuals across all ranges. Usually caused by slackness somewhere along the driveline which is transferred along it from the engine to the diff or the other way around - you put your foot down and the slackness moves to the front, and the reverse when you take foot off throttle. Can be caused by crappy diff, which is a prob in manual BAs....Ford are aware of the problem and not really fixing it - see it in another thread on FF, cant remember where.

It is made worse if the engine is running a bit rough - rough running aggravates it.

I am sure there are guys on here who know more about it than me, so I will hand it over to them... I'm just a chic! Ha ha.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo