Tremec 6 speed issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 16:52   #1 (permalink)

Tremec 6 speed issues

G'day, I'm trying to find out if anybody alse has had problems with the tremec 6 speed.

Since new 2 gear a been hard to change into from first, have not been able to change down into second from 3rd at all (but this is intermittent) have not been able to select 1st even when at a standstill, 2nd to 3rd feels like its grinding on the way through.
Also when backing off to coast there is a clunk which feels like severe backlash from the box.

And to top it off evry time I press the clutch in there is an annoying click.

It is going in for its first service this week and they know about the issues but I'm looking for some info if this is a common problem or I just scored a dodgy box.

Any feedback on this would be great

Thx Jason
Velocity XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 20:38   #2 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Re: Tremec 6 speed issues

Dosen't sound good. The F6 I have driven was a dream without any of the issues you have mentioned. Get it sorted out with the service. These gearbox's were well sorted by FPV & are known for being very user friendly..
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 20:58   #3 (permalink)
walking power

Sounds like mine.............let us know how you go.
Old 01-01-2006, 23:01   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity XR6T
G'day, I'm trying to find out if anybody alse has had problems with the tremec 6 speed.

Since new 2 gear a been hard to change into from first, have not been able to change down into second from 3rd at all (but this is intermittent) have not been able to select 1st even when at a standstill, 2nd to 3rd feels like its grinding on the way through.
Also when backing off to coast there is a clunk which feels like severe backlash from the box.

It is going in for its first service this week and they know about the issues but I'm looking for some info if this is a common problem or I just scored a dodgy box.

Thx Jason
Jason,

My 6spd is very smooth. The only time I notice it hard to change gears (1-2) is usually first thing in a cold Canberra winter’s morning. Once the gear box warms up, no problems.

I have the same annoying click when you press the clutch in

Cheers
Old 01-02-2006, 01:30   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

Thx Jason
Could have somethng to do with the throwout bearing etc (possible collapsed bearing) not disengaging the clutch properly as I have the same problem. Am getting it looked at in the next week will fill you in on the result.
Remeber the only problems you can have with your box is either crunching gears (syncros) most proberly only in one gear or bearing failure constant whineing noise in box. I suspected it had something to do with the throwout because how hard it is to get all gears compared to when it was good, have spoken to someone in the know he suspects this could be the problem but needs to suss it in the flesh to be sure had to wait to see him due to holidays.
Also another possibility is the slave cylinders are made of plastic, I have been told the cylinder bores can swell (extreme contitions) and cause similar symptions.
Keep you posted!
Lowride260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:56   #6 (permalink)

Hey Guys,

Had my Ute back into the dealer to get box sorted this was what they told me,

The rubber floor mat (3mm thick) is not allowing the clutch to be depressed fully they removed the mat and magically the problem disapeared. I laughed at the service guy and told him the the mat had been in the car for 2 days and I had reported the issue with the salesman about 2 weeks after delivery of the car, his response was its just tight. I like being treated like a clown.

I then went to another dealer that was recomended and got one of their techs to take the car for a drive while I was in it (with the floor mat removed ) and he definately thinks that there is an issue so its back in on monday to be sussed out.

Will keep you posted

Jason
Old 01-06-2006, 12:05   #7 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

[QUOTE=Velocity XR6T]Hey Guys,

The rubber floor mat (3mm thick) is not allowing the clutch to be depressed fully they removed the mat and magically the problem disapeared. I laughed at the service guy and told him the the mat had been in the car for 2 days and I had reported the issue with the salesman about 2 weeks after delivery of the car, his response was its just tight. I like being treated like a clown.

I then went to another dealer that was recomended and got one of their techs to take the car for a drive while I was in it (with the floor mat removed ) and he definately thinks that there is an issue so its back in on monday to be sussed out.

Will keep you posted

Welcome to the Ford service world. You can expect this sort of treatment every time you go to a dealer for warranty work.
This is how it works..
1: Bullsh!t the owner if possable.
2: If that dosen't work, stuff him around as much as poss, hoping he'll get sick of it and not worry about the fault..
3: If that dont work, get car in & take as long as poss to find out whats wrong, hoping it'll run out of warranty.
4: If that fails, refer to back to item "1" & start again.
5: If that fails You might have to fix the fault. [but I doubt it]

Jason the best thing to do now that someone agree's there is something wrong is stick with that dealer. If that dealer is meeting your needs stick with him, there are the odd good one out there, we just have to find them.
Good luck mate.
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 19:10   #8 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Noboss]
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Will keep you posted

Welcome to the Ford service world. You can expect this sort of treatment every time you go to a dealer for warranty work.
This is how it works..
1: Bullsh!t the owner if possable.
2: If that dosen't work, stuff him around as much as poss, hoping he'll get sick of it and not worry about the fault..
3: If that dont work, get car in & take as long as poss to find out whats wrong, hoping it'll run out of warranty.
4: If that fails, refer to back to item "1" & start again.
5: If that fails You might have to fix the fault. [but I doubt it]

Jason the best thing to do now that someone agree's there is something wrong is stick with that dealer. If that dealer is meeting your needs stick with him, there are the odd good one out there, we just have to find them.
Good luck mate.
Well got car back from 2nd dealer aparrently they checked everything out and found all to be within spec eg backlash tolerance etc, but the suprising thing was that when I drove the car home I straight away noticed something different.

Gear shift had smoothed out and the backlash like symptoms have reduced in severity by about 70% which I can live with, the foreman from the workshop actually rang me while it was in to discuss the box which was better than the previous dealer.

So whatever they didn't do seems to have worked

Cheers Jason
Old 01-11-2006, 05:26   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Well got car back from 2nd dealer aparrently they checked everything out and found all to be within spec eg backlash tolerance etc, but the suprising thing was that when I drove the car home I straight away noticed something different.

Gear shift had smoothed out and the backlash like symptoms have reduced in severity by about 70% which I can live with, the foreman from the workshop actually rang me while it was in to discuss the box which was better than the previous dealer.

So whatever they didn't do seems to have worked

Cheers Jason
I am pretty much have the same problem with my typhoon and my gearbox is being replaced under warranty. I told them the problem similar to yours and they agreed after they test drove it and now it is getting replaced under warranty. I guess it depends on the dealer and who at the dealer you deal with
marth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo