Ford Forums banner

tubo- idle down

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Grizzly 
#1 ·
hi,i have an xr6 t on order and am wondering-i drive a truck for a living and it is accepted practice to let the engine idle down for several minutes before tuning it off to allow the turbo to cool down-not doing this is frowned upon!!!
do you guys think this should be the case for a tubo car

#2 ·
most ppl would say not to worry about it ... but I leave her rest a minute before switching her off, especially if I've just thrashed her ... :)

that sounded a bit rude eh?

#4 ·
Although it is good practice to let car idle down with the ball bearing water cooled turbo on the xr it is not totally ness.
The water cooling also thermo sypons after motor is stop on the xr6t to also combate this problem this why the heater hoses shake after motor is turned off

#6 ·
Speaking from Jap car experiance, I've owned 6 turbocharged cars and believe me, you will run into trouble eventually if you don't let them idle down, a trip to the shops etc is no problem but if you have been running for extended periods, especially on boost, you should always let it idle down, temps drop dramatically even after only about a min at idle, and heat is the killer, even with a ball bearing turbo, the bearing will coke up with cooked oil no matter how good the oil is you are using, always let them idle down and use a damn good quality oil and change it often.

G
#7 ·
Dakweed said:
Speaking from Jap car experiance, I've owned 6 turbocharged cars and believe me, you will run into trouble eventually if you don't let them idle down, a trip to the shops etc is no problem but if you have been running for extended periods, especially on boost, you should always let it idle down, temps drop dramatically even after only about a min at idle, and heat is the killer, even with a ball bearing turbo, the bearing will coke up with cooked oil no matter how good the oil is you are using, always let them idle down and use a damn good quality oil and change it often.
Agree 100%. You should let the snail cool off after say 20km's of driving if you want to look after her. Proberbly will not give any probs during the first few years even if driven hard but it will further down. Has anyone with the XR6T fitted a Turbo timer? is it still warrented if you did? and has Ford got a option to fit one from factory?

G
#8 ·
I don't think that fitting a timer would be possible due to the smartlock immobiliser requiring an appropriately coded key to be in the ignition for the engine to run. Bypassing this would require major electronic changes that would render the smartlock useless, unless there is a factory fitted or genuine option available.

#9 ·
turbo timers are illeagal well sort of you can have one but you must stay with the car untill it switches off turbo timers also make a car eaiser to steal as the wiring is hooked up to the alarm and immobiliser just follow the wires from the timer and presto

with the issue of cooling the turbos down it all depends on how hard you have driven the car if it was just a drive to the corner shop and back with out much use of the turbo it would be ok to turn it off straight away but if it was a long winding country road and the turbo was singing its sweet song for most of the trip it would need time to cool down before you turned the engine off

G
#10 ·
Apart from the foreign body blade disintegration, I’ve only seen a handful of bb turbo failures. Mainly was due to oil supply issues. And no issues from the GT40, Garrett cartridge part number 723157-0001.

If I drive my car hard, I just take it easy for a few km before I reach my destination. By them the turbo temp has lowered and I can turn it off and walk away.

zoomer

G
#13 ·
I have a turbo timer in my XR6T no probs the only thing that is that while the engine is running without the keys you have to lock the door with the key and the smartsheild kicks in after the engine shuts down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.