turbo v v8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 23:47   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb turbo v v8

any idears on what is the better option v8 or turbo because im on a budget is the sohc v8 a good option every 8 i have seen is aboss version
bruiser 302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 00:30   #2 (permalink)
Zoomer

The SOHC V8 is a nice motor. Comes packed with VCT unlike the Boss and only suffers in power delivery once the revs get going.

The Barra240 is great down low and only gets better up top.

If your looking for more power and better delivery get the turbo. If you want to save a few bob, get the V8 and spend that on some mods or optional extras.

Keep in mind the turbo motor finds it's way in a better packaged car, where as the SOHC lives with base suspension/rims.....and so on..

zoomer
Old 05-05-2003, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Persactly Zoomer.. If it was a choice between the XR6T or the SOHC 200 I'd take the I6T every time. A much better motor IMO.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 19:39   #4 (permalink)

Hard choice. The 220kw 5.4 goes good but probably not quite as well as the T. Insurance would probably be a bit cheaper if you bought an XT instead of XR. Fuel costs would be a little higher with the V8.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:16   #5 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Did anyone read the Wheels SV8 vs XT 220 test?

XT 220 was a slug, doing something like a 15.5 0-400, hardly any quicker than a NA 6 pot XT.

The XR6T will slaughter a 220 in acceleration + handling and resale will be a no brainer.

Initial purchase and insurance should swing the XT 220 way though, pretty sure you have to specify the bigger wheel/tyre combo and the tricked suspension with the 220 XT.

So without a doubt, go the XR6T.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 03:53   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieron
XT 220 was a slug, doing something like a 15.5 0-400, hardly any quicker than a NA 6 pot XT.
Nah, that's gotta be crap. Wheels always publish dodgy times. When they did teh first Calais vs. Fairmont review, the lard assed Fairmont ran a 15.3 vs. 15.2 for the Calais. Now we all know that teh Calais is actually mid-high 14's so I'd imagine at most high 14's for a manual XT.
Old 05-06-2003, 15:26   #7 (permalink)

Has anyone else happened to notice that before on-road costs there is only $1,000 difference between the XR8 & XR6T utes?? I've read people commenting that the glorious sound of the v8 was worth the extra few grand in the sedans, but in the utes there really isn't any difference in the price, making the v8 very attractive. I know the xr6t is the one with all the aftermarket potential but when I buy my BA (hopefully next year) I'll be absolutely to the wall financially so I'm not going to be able to modify for a long time anyway. Plus I heard the Boss engine in the VB cars at Eastern Creek on the weekend & it sounded unbef*@$#nlievable. Was there anyone else there that day who would agree????
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 23:51   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

What about this option then -

5.4 XT with some mild mods (air intake, exhaust, chip)

Would there be much $ difference and inturn would there be much difference in the go factor?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:05   #9 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

I'd say your going to have to pull a good second out of an XT V8 to match the XR6T, exhaust/intake and chip MAY do it, but i'd still put my folding on the T.
The couple of K you spend on the V8 mods will be ultimately money down the drain come resale time too - very hard to beat the XR6T in BFYB.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 16:13   #10 (permalink)
Pinky!

I had this exact same problem with the utes. Do I go for an XLS 220 V8, XR6T or XR8?

In the end I went for an XLS with the V8. I save a heap on insurance and I get a V8 with that oh so lovely sound. Plan on a Herrod exhaust and a few other mods in time.

Sure it won't be as quick as the other options but it's a big step up from where I am now and I reckon it's good enough for me.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo