Ford Forums banner

The Typhoon Clutch Fix

13K views 94 replies 26 participants last post by  beaver429 
#1 ·
As some of you may have read my recent bleaty post re the Typhoon clutch. Well firstly to Aussie Geo, don't worry about the EB wa@kers mate, its only jelousy.
I sent Mr Flint another bleat the other day suggesting that FPV buy me a Mal Wood clutch and fit it, and this is part of the email response I got this morning.

Quote.
"Thank you for your email. I am pleased that eventually we were able to satisfy you but its a pity that you had to give us a nudge first.
I am confident that we are close to releasing a clutch with the issues solved and rather than fit what I am convinced is a totally unsatisfactory application of a single plate clutch you described, I would like to offer you a small part to play in our development program.
We have four cars currently running with the re-developed clutch in and it would be most useful if you would agree to have such a clutch fitted to your car to give us some more real world experience.
If you are agreeable to this, please call me and we will make arrangements just as soon as we can. I can be contacted on 04** *** *** :shh: . Unquote.

Well I rang David and we had a chat, he knows how bleaty and anal I can be about my FPVs and I don't think he would tell me something just to fob me off, or make this offer it it wasn't 99.9% real :hy: . It appears to me that the fix is indeed very very close, done in fact, except they want to be sure it is right. I have a Dr of Engineering ringing me to organise getting the new set up fitted :driver:
Ahhhhh the fix, the fix, the fix is on the horizon.
Thanks David :hy:

See less See more
#3 ·
Hypnodoc said:
As some of you may have read my recent bleaty post re the Typhoon clutch. Well firstly to Aussie Geo, don't worry about the EB wa@kers mate, its only jelousy.
I sent Mr Flint another bleat the other day suggesting that FPV buy me a Mal Wood clutch and fit it, and this is part of the email response I got this morning.

Quote.
"Thank you for your email. I am pleased that eventually we were able to satisfy you but its a pity that you had to give us a nudge first.
I am confident that we are close to releasing a clutch with the issues solved and rather than fit what I am convinced is a totally unsatisfactory application of a single plate clutch you described, I would like to offer you a small part to play in our development program.
We have four cars currently running with the re-developed clutch in and it would be most useful if you would agree to have such a clutch fitted to your car to give us some more real world experience.
If you are agreeable to this, please call me and we will make arrangements just as soon as we can. I can be contacted on 04** *** *** :shh: . Unquote.

Well I rang David and we had a chat, he knows how bleaty and anal I can be about my FPVs and I don't think he would tell me something just to fob me off, or make this offer it it wasn't 99.9% real :hy: . It appears to me that the fix is indeed very very close, done in fact, except they want to be sure it is right. I have a Dr of Engineering ringing me to organise getting the new set up fitted :driver:

Make sure you give it all you got Hypno. With the power you got if you cant break it no standard Typhoon will break it. :driver:

#4 ·
mcdennis1 said:
Must be sort of a good feeling noing you are apart of the R&D for FPV
Ahhh mate someones got to do it. Maybe they might give me a discount when they release the series 2 Typhoon, cause I'll tell ya what, with an edit etc up their bum there ain't nothing will catch one. :driver: :hy:

G
#5 ·
I told them I was super keen to get the new clutch and test it for them. They gave me another temp fix yesterday. Looks like Jarrod at the CRC will be getting a call in the morning!!

Just sent Flinty an email offering my F6 as a test bed also. Lets hope!

#6 ·
Hypnodoc said:

Quote.

Well Doc I am sure you will be a good work out for that new permanent fix. And boy am I am glad to see there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I did not mean too sound too whinny about the P76 crack.... but hell after paying out so many hard earned $'s you expect to get something better than just the fleet hack car.

Anyway I have been watching with great interest the great job Simon has been doing on the Ghost, the only thing that has stopped me from calling him up for the same is this bloody clutch worry so mate... give her heaps and if she is still sweet after about a month I will be joining the Q outside Simon's place :).

I am happy with her as she is now...... but like all great females you always want more :priest:

Peter

#7 ·
I must admit Flinty's pulled a nice furry bunny out of the good old PR hat. 'Provide us with more real world experience...'. Yeah whatever... I suppose this friendly gesture is supposed to make a few Typhoon owners warm and fuzzy so they can forget that their standard Typhoon is slower than the neighbours $15K cheaper xr6 turbo.

#8 ·
chich said:
I must admit Flinty's pulled a nice furry bunny out of the good old PR hat. 'Provide us with more real world experience...'. Yeah whatever... I suppose this friendly gesture is supposed to make a few Typhoon owners warm and fuzzy so they can forget that their standard Typhoon is slower than the neighbours $15K cheaper xr6 turbo.
Ah!!! Maybe the delay has been not only to validate the clutch fix but also adjust the ECU. Perhaps the stinging critisicm has prompted them to tinker with the computer just a little? We'll soon find out. Perhaps the boys at Motor will re-test the F6? :hy: :priest: :driver:

#9 ·
chich said:
PRECISELY!!!!! Thats my biggest complaint about the thing - even if it HAS a clutch it's still NOT A FAST CAR! Yeah you can get great performance out of it for very little money - SO WHY THE HELL HAVENT FPV DONE IT?

#10 ·
R33GTR said:
PRECISELY!!!!! Thats my biggest complaint about the thing - even if it HAS a clutch it's still NOT A FAST CAR! Yeah you can get great performance out of it for very little money - SO WHY THE HELL HAVENT FPV DONE IT?
In gear- it's a decent car to punt around in.. but it can't top the GT power wise, and lets not go there eh..

#11 ·
chich said:
So go buy the xr6T. No-one is forcing you to waste $15k of ur money.

It's all about choice.

#12 ·
Headache said:
In gear- it's a decent car to punt around in.. but it can't top the GT power wise, and lets not go there eh..
I've got a Blueprint one of them to, edit the Typhoon, even without bigger injectors, then, GT no chance, the V8 sounds a hell of a lot better though. :hy:

#14 ·
Headache said:
So go buy the xr6T. No-one is forcing you to waste $15k of ur money.

It's all about choice.
That misses the point. The Typhoon is supposed to be the hotted up version of the XR6T, like the GT is to the XR8. Sure it has lots of good bits on it and it is probably good value for those bits, but it is SLOWER than the XR6T and that is simply inexcusable. What makes it even worse is how easily and cheaply people are getting good performance out of both the XR6T and the Typhoon. So what the hell is wrong with FPV? Surely they have a bigger budget than APS or Nizpro. Surely, after spending f#<k knows how much money on developing the thing they could at least have made it perform as well as the car it is based on? Sadly it seems that FPV are as good at making fast road cars as FPR are on the racetrack :booty:

#15 ·
R33GTR said:
That misses the point. The Typhoon is supposed to be the hotted up version of the XR6T, like the GT is to the XR8. Sure it has lots of good bits on it and it is probably good value for those bits, but it is SLOWER than the XR6T and that is simply inexcusable. What makes it even worse is how easily and cheaply people are getting good performance out of both the XR6T and the Typhoon. So what the hell is wrong with FPV? Surely they have a bigger budget than APS or Nizpro. Surely, after spending f#<k knows how much money on developing the thing they could at least have made it perform as well as the car it is based on? Sadly it seems that FPV are as good at making fast road cars as FPR are on the racetrack :booty:
IMHO the Typhoon eats the T in 3 areas.

1. It isn't speed limited to 220
2. It has better brakes and handling
3. If both cars are stock the Typhoon leaves the T beyond 100kph.

Also the reports coming back now from cars with a few klm's on them suggest that after they do a few klms they pick up about 20rwkw, so they get quicker as they loosen up, all we have had to go on for standard cars are motoring journo reports with new or extremely low klm cars.
Had a T, got a Typhoon, definately worth the extra dough, pity about the clutch but! :driver: :hy:

#16 ·
R33GTR said:

If we only measured straight line performance from the 1/4 mile, then yeah, the T might just be as quick or quicker, hey, I was severly un-impressed by the straight line speed of the Typhoon.. And I think it's as laggy as buggery..
But as a package, it's more than 1/4. In gear, it's FASTER than a T. 80-120 etc. 4th gear from 20kph is a doddle, take off from 2nd if you feel the need to.. top end aswell..
As a drivers car, the Typhoon is a better package, eg brakes, suspension etc..

I don't disagree with you... but it's a different driving experience, and who buys a heavy Typhoon for dragging down the 1/4 mile??

#17 ·
I`ll bite on this one ,like it or not it`s all about the quarter.
Anyone that says otherwise is fooling themselves.The HSV boys know what its about and how to give their loyal customers results.

How often is the average joe gonna take their car to a race track to test the handling/brakinng etc.

Shame on Ford and anyone else that things it`s not about the quarter.Shit if it`s doing laps why edit it you will get up to your top end eventually.

#18 ·
Hypnodoc said:
IMHO the Typhoon eats the T in 3 areas.

1. It isn't speed limited to 220
2. It has better brakes and handling
3. If both cars are stock the Typhoon leaves the T beyond 100kph.

Also the reports coming back now from cars with a few klm's on them suggest that after they do a few klms they pick up about 20rwkw, so they get quicker as they loosen up, all we have had to go on for standard cars are motoring journo reports with new or extremely low klm cars.
Had a T, got a Typhoon, definately worth the extra dough, pity about the clutch but! :driver: :hy:

Hyp,
Don`t take this personally, but i am a little dissapointed in you(not that it really matter coz i only know you over the net.)but
1)The T isn`t speed limited with the edit.

2)You can put better brakes and handling on the T

3)The quarter is what matters otherwise why do we grab Modern,wheel and every other car magazine to see what these cars do down the quarter.

At the end of the day what Ford was supposed to deliver was a ball tearer that should have been faster than the T and the GT it didn`t and even though I don`t own a Typhoon I am dissappointed in Ford.Ford should reflash the Typhoon and give it the power to be undisputably quicker than the T. I am talking high 13`s down the quarter anything less is an insult.

#19 ·
stang65 said:
Hyp,
Don`t take this personally, but i am a little dissapointed in you(not that it really matter coz i only know you over the net.)but
1)The T isn`t speed limited with the edit.

2)You can put better brakes and handling on the T

3)The quarter is what matters otherwise why do we grab Modern,wheel and every other car magazine to see what these cars do down the quarter.

At the end of the day what Ford was supposed to deliver was a ball tearer that should have been faster than the T and the GT it didn`t and even though I don`t own a Typhoon I am dissappointed in Ford.Ford should reflash the Typhoon and give it the power to be undisputably quicker than the T. I am talking high 13`s down the quarter anything less is an insult.
Hi Stang.
Mate horses for course, I reckon theres more to driving than hurtling down the 400 metre strip, not that I disagree that the quarter mile is definately a benchmark and as I said in the post I think with a few klms on them the Typhoons do loosen up.
As far as the speed limiters go I do disagree. The T will start to surge at 220, whereas the Typhoon will run to 250, until you remove the limiter, to verify this you only have to look at the programmes in the software and up hill down dale my T would begin to surge at 220, the GT gets the same surge at 250 and I've been that speed in both of the cars. Having siad that I do agree that FPV could have put some more grunt into the Typhoon, but I'm guessing the series 2 Typhoon is gonna be a killer :driver: :hy:

#20 ·
Actually i would agree on what Stang65 has to say and the reason for that would be cause when you buy a car of this stature ''performance'' you would expect it to have a mighty punch especially when it has 550nm of torque to play with which something FPV is using as a marketing tool to sell there product to us. If a vehicle of this calibre only seems to pull a best time of 14 flat which JUST makes it faster then the T and maybe on par with the GT why label it a PERFORMANCE car which it doesnt seem to do that!

Obviously when the aftermarket boys fiddle with it they will produce some awesome figures but there is people who would want to buy a fast car stock from factory without doing any sort of mods to it. I agree its not all about the straight line that plays a role but its the overall package which counts and ford have always had a pretty good overall package, though ford have been lacking in the straight line department which they need to improve and that we all know is something were suffering in. The typhoon will be better vehicle over the T when it comes to better features such as brakes, suspension and driveline which is why your paying the 60g tag.

The typhoon is a fantastic looking vehicle with a few touches to lift the power war in the 6 department and indeed a real head turner for any car enthuasist but when hsv are achieving times like flat 13's and were just or maybe dipping in that bracket i do believe that PERFORMANCE is some what a slight worry. As for the clutch it is a shame that this has occured and exposed to the public which FPV is copping some negative criticism about but mechanical mistakes do happen in the automotive industry which sometimes arent picked up earlier.

#21 ·
stang65 said:
How often is the average joe gonna take their car to a race track to test the handling/brakinng etc.
For me, it's once every month or two... and 'top end' in these events aren't 200kph+, more like 120kph.

it'll be edited for better response down low, and more midrange punch.

I did say they were too slow....

I don't disagree-they are not what they should be, just sayin they aint worth the bagging they are recieving..

#22 ·
What a load of Frog sh!t..
The F6 will blow any Manual T away down the 1/4 and you all know it ....**** me there has only been 80 sold to date and most of them are parked up with dud Clutches and that will soon be in the past.
I agree that there are some reports that vary in performance and as such reports are that some go like Hell and some need to be shot.... This also applied to the T's

WTf is wrong with people now days ???? BAG BAG BAG BAG I'd swear I was on the LS1 site ..but then again the LS1 boys show more respect for the F6 than the Ford boyz here.

Let me say this:
Ford was never going to release some 370kw ...Why? Cos there would be too many do gooders (and GT owners) up in arms and the government may well of considered setting restrictions so why would they tempt fate?

Consider these facts:
Why up the Con rod when the STD T can run 270FWkw no problem?
Why Add an engine Oil Cooler when the STD T and many Modded T’s don’t have a problem @ 270FWkw?
Why is the Auto not strong enough when a T with 270+ FWkw is ok and it’s only when you get to about 265RWkw’s the Auto plays up?

Why make a Bigger after cooler when the T’s are getting 300FWkw’s with a STD cooler?
Why run with 2 CIA’s when you can pull 270FWkw’s with a STD T?

Need I go on any more?

Ford ****ing knew they were building a Vehicle to allow the masses to “play” with and as such handed it to the Public with all the running gear to Blow any T, GT or HSV away with nothing but an edit………………………………And still keep the Do Gooders at arms length with the Government as Ford have no control on what we the public do………………..

Tell me what Vehicle out in the market place will come close to these F6’s now and even more so when the Auto is fitted?

What does it cost to strip a T down and add the running gear to math the F6?
What does it cost to get a GT into the low 12’s?
What will you spend on a HSV to get it to match the F6.

Wake up and smell the Roses …Ford have handed us a monster and kept the public and the Government happy (even the GT owners for that matter) But there is no way any GT will match the F6 $ for $ to get 300+RWkw’s without you spending at least another $10k on top of what it cost to get the same from a F6….. FACT

Even now with the edit the GT can’t catch the Turbos in STD dress so Game Over!!!!!

1/4 mile, handling, looks, BANG FOR BUCK, I don’t believe anyone could or would find anything better.

Finally the Clutch……Well ****kkkkkk me the Circlip in mention is no bigger than your fingernail and was an ADDED extra that FPV decided they would add to the same Clutch that is in the GT40 and a few other High powered vehicles.
The Clutch itself is rated well over the 550nm the F6 has been advertised to produce and way above what Ford needed to fit to meet the spec and again this was for us rev heads to handle the power they knew we would run through it.
Rear my lips… NO CLUTCH HAS FAILED due to Power related slippage.

Bloody David Flint Knows Hypnodoc has an Edit and he can read post knowing Doc is adding injectors so stuff me gently he even knows that doc will be punching above the 300rwkw belt so he asks him to do some Clutch testing for Ford…….HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! David wants the F6 to become the Aussie Cult car and it will.
I’m just as Pissed off as the next bloke about the Clutch delays and have even considered cancelling my order due to lack of communication from FPV but when you sit back and think about it ……WTF can you buy to match it?????????????????

For those who care I believe the Clutch issue has been fixed and I say this as the Build date of My Tornado has been shifted twice this month and each time to a earlier date indicating full production is due to start very soon.
In fact I would suggest the First F6 Tornados will leave the Plant in the first week of May.
:priest:

#24 ·
Tornado said:

For those who care I believe the Clutch issue has been fixed and I say this as the Build date of My Tornado has been shifted twice this month and each time to a earlier date indicating full production is due to start very soon.
In fact I would suggest the First F6 Tornados will leave the Plant in the first week of May.
:priest:
:sb:

yep, wot he said...

Tornado, how in begeezus did u get a delivery date??? hell, mine better be on the same boat............................. :hy:

#25 ·
Tornado said:
The F6 will blow any Manual T away down the 1/4 and you all know it ....

Let me say this:
Ford was never going to release some 370kw ...Why? Cos there would be too many do gooders (and GT owners) up in arms and the government may well of considered setting restrictions so why would they tempt fate?

What does it cost to strip a T down and add the running gear to math the F6?
What does it cost to get a GT into the low 12’s?
What will you spend on a HSV to get it to match the F6.
I dont know it will beat a T. I have never seen any figures to prove it. I dont expect FPV to release the car with 370 kW. But 300 - 310 ....why not? What does it cost to match the F6 down the 1/4 with a T? er nothing at all, in fact you have to SPEND MONEY AND MODIFY the F6 to match the T! Same goes for the HSV in SPADES! I dont want to HAVE to modify a brand new car to get it to go. If I'm going to modify then I'll buy second hand. What do you think Ford are going to say when something breaks on your modded F6? MAYBE they will fix it under warranty, but they sure as hell dont have to. Frankly i am not keen on spending the best part of 60K for a "perfomance car" then having to spend even more on it to actually make it perform, and void my warranty in the process. I probably sound bitter here, but I am a Ford fan, and I expected great things from the F6. I have a turbo six and I know how much potential the F6 has, being a 4 litre (as opposed to my 2.6) but ,well i am extremely dissapointed. I really want to buy a QUICK Ford STANDARD, but to be honest I have started looking at R34 GT-R's on the net.

#26 ·
R33GTR said:
I dont know it will beat a T. I have never seen any figures to prove it. I dont expect FPV to release the car with 370 kW. But 300 - 310 ....why not? What does it cost to match the F6 down the 1/4 with a T? er nothing at all, in fact you have to SPEND MONEY AND MODIFY the F6 to match the T! Same goes for the HSV in SPADES! I dont want to HAVE to modify a brand new car to get it to go. If I'm going to modify then I'll buy second hand. What do you think Ford are going to say when something breaks on your modded F6? MAYBE they will fix it under warranty, but they sure as hell dont have to. Frankly i am not keen on spending the best part of 60K for a "perfomance car" then having to spend even more on it to actually make it perform, and void my warranty in the process. I probably sound bitter here, but I am a Ford fan, and I expected great things from the F6. I have a turbo six and I know how much potential the F6 has, being a 4 litre (as opposed to my 2.6) but ,well i am extremely dissapointed. I really want to buy a QUICK Ford STANDARD, but to be honest I have started looking at R34 GT-R's on the net.
If you think the T is quicker than an F6 well Buy one simple .............
Im a bit tired of Ill informed people making claims that are just crap maybe the R34 GT is for you so Good luck.

Then while your busy listenging to all the carp and making claims that the T is quicker than the F6 try asking someone "Who" might know like Simon GTP-330...... then while your at it take a look at the latest Motor mag!!!!
1st F6
2nd GT
3rd HSV
If you dont like it? great everyone to their own but for crist sake give it a rest on the F6.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.