Typhoon V's XR6T - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:24   #1 (permalink)

Typhoon V's XR6T

Ok we can all gather the Typhoon is an awesome bit of machinery (minus little hiccups which should be overcome soon) but how does the Typhoon make so much more torque than over the Standard T (550nm v 450nm but only 30fwkw more).

Apart from the obvious differences (performance differences) being a bigger intercooler, valve springs, air box and more boost. What other changes make this car the monster that it is? Especially the torque figures, would these things alone give it an extra 100nm's of torque?
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 09:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Typhoon V's XR6T

you answered the question yourself

boost, and different ecu mapping would help..
Headache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 23:22   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache
you answered the question yourself

boost, and different ecu mapping would help..
So if you add these things to a standard T you would get an extra 100nm of torque. It has only 30fwkw more power but its the torque figures I'm interested in.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:02   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
So if you add these things to a standard T you would get an extra 100nm of torque. It has only 30fwkw more power but its the torque figures I'm interested in.
The reason the difference in torque is so much bigger than the difference in power is because the ECU is programmed to cut back on boost (and thus torque) somewhere above 4500rpm, and power is just torque x RPM. The XR6T also has a boost reduction at high RPM to protect the transmission, (in the series 2 it would only be the auto that needs it) nobody (outside of FPV)seems to know why its there in the Typhoon though.
R33GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:10   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R33GTR
The reason the difference in torque is so much bigger than the difference in power is because the ECU is programmed to cut back on boost (and thus torque) somewhere above 4500rpm, and power is just torque x RPM. The XR6T also has a boost reduction at high RPM to protect the transmission, (in the series 2 it would only be the auto that needs it) nobody (outside of FPV)seems to know why its there in the Typhoon though.
I think i know..........Its a combination of of a few very real reasons

Being emissions, politicians and GT owners egos

I didnt say that honost :D
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:43   #6 (permalink)

GT owner egos and emissions are only half the story. Lets not forget this is only the first generation turbo 6.. Ford have to leave some space to improve and expand on in the future. Just like Holden does with its SS and HSV variants - every time the model year changes the output magically increases by 5 kw.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 20:58   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
I think i know..........Its a combination of of a few very real reasons

Being emissions, politicians and GT owners egos

I didnt say that honost :D
Very likely the truth, GTP. The only VALID reason being the emissions. I tend to believe it's been done to protect GT sales, which to me is just stupid. The XR6T is usually faster than the XR8, but the XR8 still sells. OK maybe if the Typhoon was heaps quicker (stock) than the GT then some potential GT buyers would switch, but hey they are still buying an FPV arent they? FPV might also gain some potential HSV buyers into the bargain, and that would have to be a plus wouldnt it?
Old 04-15-2005, 21:03   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
GT owner egos and emissions are only half the story. Lets not forget this is only the first generation turbo 6.. Ford have to leave some space to improve and expand on in the future. Just like Holden does with its SS and HSV variants - every time the model year changes the output magically increases by 5 kw.
Chich, getting more power from a turbo engine is easy. The only limit is the strength of the bottom end, and the driveline. Ford have even fitted a turbo as standard which has miles to go in its potential power output. (unlike Nissan on the Skylines which have bullet-proof engines and drivelines, but pretty soon need bigger turbo's on them for more power) There is also such a thing as progress, which is also why engines get more powerful in later models.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:51   #9 (permalink)

i dont care who says what, but a xr6T mkII is a much better buy then the fpv's shocking version....my money is on the T, u can make the things go blooodyyyy damn hardddd and i believe its a second to none mate!!!!! go the XR6T!!!!!!

(but hay go the gt-p) lolllll
mr_xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:33   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_xlr8
i dont care who says what, but a xr6T mkII is a much better buy then the fpv's shocking version....my money is on the T, u can make the things go blooodyyyy damn hardddd and i believe its a second to none mate!!!!! go the XR6T!!!!!!

(but hay go the gt-p) lolllll
go the gtp hey??? so your laughing at ppl who would preffer to purchase a GTP with there money instead of an XR6T? Interesting...
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo