Underbody noise deadening - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2004, 03:59   #1 (permalink)

Underbody noise deadening

Has anyone had this treatment done?

I'm affraid that after having a Statesman previously I find the XR6T road noise a little excessive. I knew that going from 15" to 17" wheels would increase the road noise.

After speaking to a couple of places they pointed out the large amount of bare metal in the boot area and under that back seat area (only covered by the flimsy excuse for carpet). Suggestions were to insert something like carpet underlay under the carpet in these areas. I thought that would look cheap. The treatment I am looking at ranges between $290-$590 (for the same thing) which applies a 4-5mm layer of a rubber based material to the wheel arches and the underbody. This should give up to 40% reducion in noise so it is claimed.
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 06:58   #2 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Re: Underbody noise deadening

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthor57
Has anyone had this treatment done?

I'm affraid that after having a Statesman previously I find the XR6T road noise a little excessive. I knew that going from 15" to 17" wheels would increase the road noise.

After speaking to a couple of places they pointed out the large amount of bare metal in the boot area and under that back seat area (only covered by the flimsy excuse for carpet). Suggestions were to insert something like carpet underlay under the carpet in these areas. I thought that would look cheap. The treatment I am looking at ranges between $290-$590 (for the same thing) which applies a 4-5mm layer of a rubber based material to the wheel arches and the underbody. This should give up to 40% reducion in noise so it is claimed.
I don't have the T, but I don't have any excess road noise - however I have premium audio so I probably wouldn't notice if I did! LOL!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 17:11   #3 (permalink)

I think all XR's would have the same amount of road noise with the 17" tyres. It's not something specific to the T. I guess the Statesman I had was built to be a quiet car and therfore any car after that would seem noisier.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:06   #4 (permalink)

Hi,

The tyre are quite noisy have heard be complain about how noisy the dunlop tyres are, not only that but once I have worn them out will definitely be changingt falkens whichwill be a lot quieter and as per a review on ff have better stoping power.
regards
Stang
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:51   #5 (permalink)

I got the "underbody road noise insulator" whatever applied to my car and I must say that my T is pretty quiet as far as road noise goes. So quiet that even if the premo sound is on 1 you can easily hear the music over the "road noise".
Blood Orange XR6T - 5 spd manual - Premium Brakes - Premium Sound - Leather Interior - Herrod Suspension Kit - Momo Gear Knob - Alarm Kit - Auxilliary Audio Plug-in - Mud Spats - Window Tinting - XR Mats ---
KrasH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:58   #6 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Hi,

The tyre are quite noisy have heard be complain about how noisy the dunlop tyres are, not only that but once I have worn them out will definitely be changingt falkens whichwill be a lot quieter and as per a review on ff have better stoping power.
regards
Stang

Your spot on there Stang,
It's the 17" tyres that should be your first concern IMO as they are very noisy. I have the 18" package and the car is very quiet inside ...except for the V8 noise under load

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 13:37   #7 (permalink)

Thanks KrasH,

I hoped someone who had the treatment done replied. I also have prem sound but don't want to have it loud enough to drown out the road noise.

My car goes in on Tues when the underbody is washed (have 3000 klm on the clock) then dried overnight. On Wed the underbody is sprayed then after 4-5 hours it's cured enough to drive home.
Old 04-30-2004, 15:03   #8 (permalink)

Smile Re: Underbody noise deadening

The noise deadening has been completed and the car is now 5.5 kgs heavier. There is a noticable improvement but it's hard to tell exactly how much. I should have took some noise figures before and after. The one thing I can notice is the road/tyre noise seems to be coming from the front. So the noises from the back must be surpressed.

It was pointed out prior to the spaying that due to the plastic liners in all gaurds there is not much to spray in those areas. If the plastic was sprayed it would eventually fall off and in doing so look patchy.

The guys at VIP Car Care (Warrigul Rd Melb) were great. They showed me the great amounts of bare metal under the car that has no deadening. Also they take the time to mask areas that are required for maintenence. I took my camera and asked for some before and after photo's. They offered to take all the photo's with their own camera and put them on a CD for me which they did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc07746a_2.jpg (97.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-10-2004, 21:13   #9 (permalink)

probably just as easy to fit a dynamat roadkill kit that can be purchased through most leading car audio stores.. I had this in my last car, will be putting it back in when my audio system goes in the coming weeks!
mattson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo