What to buy: XR6T or XR8??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2003, 22:46   #1 (permalink)
BAS

confused What to buy: XR6T or XR8???

Hi Guys.

I'm new to the forum and have been getting heaps of info from the various threads on all sorts of issues. A great & informative site!

My current ride is an ED XR6 auto, and I'm now looking forward to upgrading. In short, Ford dealers seem willing to offer me a fleet discount on the XR8, but are giving nothing away for the XR6 Turbo. This means that I can get either car for practically the same price.

Is there a general consensus that the 8 would be a slightly better buy for the same price as the Turbo? I love the sound of the V8, and as I tend to hang onto my cars for a few years, reliability comes into the equation too. Then again, the V8 has copped a caning for being nose-heavy through the twisty bits. Is it really that bad, and would a few hundred $ for a set of heavier Herrod front springs fix this problem???

Any feedback would be appreciated.
BAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2003, 22:50   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: What to buy: XR6T or XR8???

If you are getting them both at the same price, i'd go the XR8... Especially if reliability is an issue. You never know how the turbo will stand up after a few years.

Then again I reckon the weight difference between the two is definitely noticeable. Such a hard decision! :O
He|mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 22:58   #3 (permalink)
walking power

Have a look here mate might get a few more thoughts. BA XR8 or XR6T? which to buy??

Personally go the XR8.
Old 07-06-2003, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
Beastmaster

Oh boy are you going to get some replies to this one...

IMHO If you want to modify the car cheaply and be a drag strip king the the 6T is the go, if not the XR8 looks better, sounds better, has better torque charateristics and better gearbox (if manual).
As far as handling, well that is a bit subjective, lots of journos have thier own ideas on what a car should be. In next years PCOTY I am sure the XR8 and GT will get a run. See how that stack up the 6T run from last year.
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 23:05   #5 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Which to buy? That's easy. Test drive them both and make your mind up after that!
Old 07-06-2003, 23:57   #6 (permalink)
goooone

If they are costing you the same I'd go the 8 without a second thought
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 03:56   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Definately the 8. Looks better, sounds better and kills the turbo in low down torque. Turbos seem to need 2500rpm before they start moving.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 06:06   #8 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Simple its all about the bulge go the xr8.
XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:10   #9 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Get the GT!!!

As for XR8 vs Turbo, I left one with broken ego at lights few days ago,auto vs auto. Nothing beats a 5.4 from idle start.
Old 07-07-2003, 13:15   #10 (permalink)

I had to make the XR8 and XR6t decision last Saturday. I had driven both at release (both manuals) and was unimpressed with the gear shift in the turbo and underwhelmed with the turbo performance feel - for me.

After reading all the Motor and Wheels tests since release - assuming that these motoring writers know more than I - its clear (to me) that the XR6t is the better value for your "performance" dollar, probably the better resale proposition and the better handling car.

I then drove last Saturday an auto XR8 then a manual turbo, back to back. The shift in the manual turbo seemed as least usable this time - far better than my initial recollection at release and the performance well - wow how could anyone not love it.

BUT after driving the 8 again albeit an auto this time, I ordered the 8. I wouldn't have altered my decision but I can also have my 8 built a lot quicker than a turbo and besides - I might have the turbo next time. The car is to be the family hack so a GT was extra silly money for our household budget and I would worry too much when parking it.

I suspect more baby boomers will go the 8 and generation X's the turbo. I'm the former. Its a generation thing and the bulge and the 8 grunt rather than the turbo rush. It has been stated many times on these forums, horses for courses.

What did I order?

XR8 auto, Venom, Leather, premium sound, sunroof, 18's, airbags. I've already recieved my SIDO and cannot wait.
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo