Why the slow times?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2005, 14:50   #1 (permalink)

Why the slow times??

I saw the new Wheels or Motor (forget which one) yesterday, and they were comparing the HSV LS2, Lancer evo 8? (I think) and the F6 Typhoon.

Overall the HSV won, the Lancer came second and the F6 was last. When they did the 1/4 mile times the F6 got something like 14.26?

I wanna know why the times for the F6 are so bad? aren't the XR6T's doing low 14's or better?

What does everyone think?
Jake_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 15:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Why the slow times??

They got 6.4s for 0-100km/h and I think 14.6 for the 1/4 mile.

One of the factors would be that they tested the 3 cars on a hot and humid day. 38 degrees(Although they said they ran the 0-100 test in the morning when it was 25 degrees and 50% humidity). Therefore the EVO and Typhoon had a disadvantage on the HSV. But then again they said that when they tested the XR6T in 2002 where they achieved 5.91 seconds, it was 40 degrees. MOTOR magazine does not do any justice for the cars and their readers by doing these tests in extreme weather conditions.
Other possible reason is that the car came straight from the Ford factory so I'm assuming that it had low km's. Don't cars get faster once km's have been clocked up?
Other possible reason is that they are journalists and they write whatever they like to increase sales.
At this stage, the latter seems to make the most sense to me.
Phoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 15:27   #3 (permalink)
FF Moderator

If you do some searching there has been a lot of discussion on this topic already. In a nutshell the F6 is an over promise, under deliver performer. It has been designed for the aftermarket industry to take advantage of IMO. In isolation it's a great car and definetly a step up on the XR6T in terms of the overall package. It also has stronger internals so it's better suited to the modify easily reaching over 370 kw of realiable power with little investment (less than $5k).

In stock form it's really no faster than an XR6T, but will 'feel' it due to the 550Nm of torque. It is better set up and has more power than a XR6T but is also heavier so similar performance results are the outcome.

You buy an F6 over the XR6T if you like turbo 6's, want to be more unique an a XR, want more features, want a better looking car, want an FPV and want to modify to obtain some serious grunt. For $58k it's still good value and for around $63k modified its a power monster!!

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 15:53   #4 (permalink)

Yeah thats true, I have to agree with you,

I would still prefer having one over a HSV any day, knowing how much more potential the car has. I can't wait until people on this forum start modding their F6's and taking them for a run on the 1/4 mile.

As for the magazines, you will probably find the F6 will eventually get quicker times.
Old 01-16-2005, 20:30   #5 (permalink)

Just on the MOTOR article, you'll also notice that APS have been dyno testing F6s and have found large variations in output 185rwk to 200rwk (XR6T are around the185rwk) not to mention the AP twin plate clutch has a serious problem. With all this in the mix I'm not suprised the times aren't good.
coupe_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 13:21   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe_man
Just on the MOTOR article, you'll also notice that APS have been dyno testing F6s and have found large variations in output 185rwk to 200rwk (XR6T are around the185rwk) not to mention the AP twin plate clutch has a serious problem. With all this in the mix I'm not suprised the times aren't good.

Good point, I just wrap my head around it. I cant wait till we see a modded F6 that can produce low 13's or even high 12's!
Old 01-21-2005, 15:19   #7 (permalink)

I have to say I think Motor has done poor 1/4 mile times deliberately. I can see NO WAY the Typhoon can be slower than a stock XR6T. It weighs a little more, but it has much more power and torque, closer gear ratios, and bigger rubber. It may not beat a Clubsport, but it sure as hell should be at least as quick as a stock XR6T.
R33GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 17:29   #8 (permalink)

My opinion is FPV have seriously stuffed up the tuning on Typhoon, whether it be unintentional or not they've created a car that cost more, weighs more, takes longer to cross the 1/4 and is less reliable then an XR6T.

There is no way on earth I would buy a Typhoon, not after all the hype, magazine reviews etc...and a claimed power output of 270kw and not to mention FPV bragging about "its the most torque produced by an australian vehicle" blablablabla its just pathetic. Its a wonder why us Ford Fans persevere and stay loyal to the blue oval through all this crap, and all we want is a car thats faster then a HSV. Is that to much to ask.

If anything under the extreme conditions MOTOR and WHEELS tested the Typhoon, it should have matched the times of the XR6T and under normal conditions run a 13.7 or there abouts, the F6 is just seriously underpowered and slow for its claimed power and torque simple as that.

Once again Ford / FPV f@#$ up by no fault but thier own!!!
When will they learn????????

Power - 190rwkw
1/4 Mile - Coming Soon

I JUST MUNCHED A 14.2SEC TWIN TURBO SUPRA.....TWICE. GO THE BOSS.
XR8GN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 18:03   #9 (permalink)

This article that was written in the Motor mag will certainly have a big impact on sales.
I ordered a F6 but have since gone and cancelled it after reading the article.
I go by, where there is smoke there is fire and i for one wouldnt like to be spending that amount of money and finding this problem actually exists and i know who would be outa pocket.
They certainly wouldnt replace it and wouldnt give you a lone car the same, let alone time taking it to the dealer and picking it up again. I can imagine it would happen more than once.
Go to sell it and hate to think what you will get for it.
1 yr old pursuits are only bringing 35K with 20k on the clocks thats, 27k in 12 months now thats what i call bloody expensive motoring.
It is going to be very difficult to regain a good name for the car as it has been tarnished and as they say its easy to get a bad name but by hell its hard to get a good name!!!!!!!!
The old saying goes the Sh** always starts at the top as thats where the final decissions are made.
red250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 20:49   #10 (permalink)
Australian XB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R33GTR
I have to say I think Motor has done poor 1/4 mile times deliberately. .
before this comparo, MOTOR went on record as saying the F6 Typhoon was the new king of Aussie muscle cars. Seriously, ask yourself, what on earth would be in it for MOTOR to deliberately run slow acceleration times?
Right. Nothing.
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo

Related Reading: Why the slow times??