Xr 6 Or Xr8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2005, 00:51   #1 (permalink)

Xr 6 Or Xr8

Guys,
This Subject Has Probably Been Done To Death. But I Am New To The Forum And Dont Know How To Drive It Yet.

I Currently Have A S2 Vx Ss Which I Have Done A Few Mods To, Which Resulted In 300kw's.

I Love The Ba Shape And Want To Buy A Ba In Either Xr6t Or Xr8. The Problem Is I Want To Have Similar Power To What I Have Now.

The Car Is A Daily Driver, And As Such I Want The Car To Be Driveable. Which One Is Cheaper To Get The Sort Of Power I Currenlty Have (300kw's). I Have Been Leaning Towards The Xr6t. But I Am Alos A Bit Partial To The V8 Sound. Any Help Would Be Great.

The Budget Would Be About $5000.

Is It True The Auto Xr6t Are Quicker As The The Boost Stays On Longer?
GAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 01:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Xr 6 Or Xr8

Don't type every word starting in capital letters.. it's ****ing annoying.
Falcon-DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:48   #3 (permalink)

Give him a break! it's his first post. The XR6T is 240KW and easy to modify as it is a turbo. The XR8 is 260KW and cannot be modified quite as easy in comparison.
The turbo kicks in at 3000rpm
The V8 is nearly always available for a squirt
The Turbo has a 6 cyl exhaust note. Although, not bad for a six
The V8 has that sweet sweet rumble
The Turbo has the ordinary bonnet
The V8 has the agressive chiseled bulge (to show everyone it has balls)
They a both available in 6 speed manual

I personally find the 8 to be consistant power but very heavy front end. The 6T has a delayed power but a lighter feel to help improve stability and drivability.

It's a tough choice. I faced it at one stage myself. i chose the XR8.

My two cents
BDAZLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:52   #4 (permalink)

Oh, i forgot. But i didn't buy the XR8 because i decided to pursue the F6 Typhoon. And when it finally gets back into production this century i might be able to pick one up. Cmon Tyza
BDAZLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:05   #5 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Welcome to the forum Gavo.

As estimated figures only, for around $5k in mods the XR6T can achieve around 280-300 Rear wheel kW's (not engine kW's) with an edit, injector kit, exhaust and some professional tuning by Simon at Xtreme. 12 second passes would be comfortably easy in auto form and the car would still make a very happy daily driver. Keep in mind however that the auto may need strengthening at after a while. Personally I would be happy with just the edit, exhaust & tune for around 260rwkW with a much happier life for the standard auto in longer term. You'll still way over the 300kw mark your VX SS currently has. The new 6 speed manual option however would be up for bigger horsepower, but the clutch will need to be replaced for a stronger unit.

As for the XR8, it's my favourite in both looks, sound and appeal, but will be slower for the same money. Again the edit is a must, a CAI and exhaust should be covered for your $5k which should result in between 240 & 260rwkW's, again way over what your VX currently has. In manual form very low 13's are the norm, but I'm unsure of what the auto will do. I would imagine the auto would be faster is set up correctly.
The XR8 will feel a lot more stable and a much nicer thing to drive than the VXSS, but will feel more nose heavy when punting hard through the corners. This is where you’ll love the XR6T, it’s quite a amazingly well balanced car and extremely chuckable.

Hope that helps!

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =

Last edited by CDAA; 04-04-2005 at 05:09.
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 15:54   #6 (permalink)
Conan

I agree with the above, the XR6T is the better of the two, that's why I bought one over the SS dunnydoor
Old 04-04-2005, 16:01   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVO
Guys,
This Subject Has Probably Been Done To Death. But I Am New To The Forum And Dont Know How To Drive It Yet.

I Currently Have A S2 Vx Ss Which I Have Done A Few Mods To, Which Resulted In 300kw's.

I Love The Ba Shape And Want To Buy A Ba In Either Xr6t Or Xr8. The Problem Is I Want To Have Similar Power To What I Have Now.

The Car Is A Daily Driver, And As Such I Want The Car To Be Driveable. Which One Is Cheaper To Get The Sort Of Power I Currenlty Have (300kw's). I Have Been Leaning Towards The Xr6t. But I Am Alos A Bit Partial To The V8 Sound. Any Help Would Be Great.

The Budget Would Be About $5000.

Is It True The Auto Xr6t Are Quicker As The The Boost Stays On Longer?
Welcome to the forum mate
I think a few of us had the same problem but after a fair amount of reading about the 2 i bought the turbo it's my first 6 i have ever bought as i have drivin V8's since i was 17 and now a respectable 37 and with a few mods 300KW without any drama's and it does'nt have the note of a 8 or that beautiful bonnet but the turbo leaves the 8 for dead in the handling department and once that boost comes on well lets just say you will be smiling but at the end of the day mate each to there own and if your heart is set on a 8 then go get it the same for the 6T but make sure you go for a run in both cars gavo just to make sure.

I have the 6T auto as it does'nt have the diff drama's as with the 5-6 speeds boxes
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 17:27   #8 (permalink)
6 Speed Cruiser

G'day mate and welcome to the forums.

For about $5,000 you are going to get some good results no matter if you go for the XR8 or the XR6T but 5 large on a T will probably get better results than on an 8.

In the end it will all come down to personal choice....I have an XR8 and the sound is great plus they look great imo with the buldge.

Can't speak for the T but for the 8 my choice of mods would be:

* Exhaust ( inc headers and cats)
* CAI
* Edit

and if money permits:

* Underdrive Pullies

This is what I have on my car however I have unichip rather than edit and I am getting 240rwkw however by the looks of things cars with edits are getting up to 250rwkw.

The XR8 is a heavy car ( as CDAA eluded to) but with those mods you should be getting low to mid 13's easily.

Good luck

Cheers

Brad

Morpowa Custom Cold Air / Mal Wood Clutch / Underdrives / Dual 3" DiFillipo Exhaust / Xtreme/Bluepower Custom Tune
XR8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 19:02   #9 (permalink)

Hi GAVO,

Good choice on the fords, back from the dark side!!!

Everything I read above works for me, but if you are comming out of a V8, you might miss it. I can get enough of my XR6T can would say that its a great drive with plenty of potential, but its not a V8 and you wont get the exhaust note your familiar with.

The other thing is if you go the XR6 its cheaper, so maybe you'll have more cash for options and mods.
Old 04-04-2005, 19:14   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys for your help. The response is great. The information you guys provided helps quite a lot. I will miss the sound of the V8, but i think I may be leaning towards the XR6 even more after your comments. Once again thanks
TONY
GAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo