XR6 Dunlop 3000 Tyres - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 22:27   #1 (permalink)
XR6

XR6 Dunlop 3000 Tyres

Hi all, I am new to this forum.
I have had from new a XR6, now done 7,200 kms. Since 1,000 kms, I have encountered wheel vibrations at between 80 and 100 kms per hour.
RIMs and tyres are standard 17 inch.
Car has been back 5 times with Wheel alignment, balancing, on car balancing, tail shaft balancing and finally, respotting of tyres. Vibrations still evident.
Tyre weights on RIMs are currently 56gms FR [Front Right], 36gms FL, NIL gms RR [Rear Right] and 68gms RL. This indicates to me that the tyres may be a problem.
The dealer has been great and looks like they will replace the tyres.
Has anyone else experienced the same problem? as I could not find any reference on the forum?
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2004, 22:41   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: XR6 Dunlop 3000 Tyres

I have Brand new Dunlop SP 3000a's on my AU XR6 and have found them to be exceptional. I too have a small vibration (nothing worth worrying about but slightly noticable) between 90kph and 110kph. Of course I've NEVER gone any faster than 110kph (eat vomit Batcholar) however I suspect that it gets a little more noticable up to around 160kph After that I'm sure I'd be too bust to concentrate on the vibration.

Anyhow, that said I know it's not my 3000's as the exact vibration was there (even worse) with the older tyres which were yoko's rear and goodyears front.

I'm not saying it isnt the tyres, it's just that I have experianced something similar on more than one set of tyres.

On my car I suspect the need for a wheel alignment and/or replacing the front shocks.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 19:13   #3 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

I've had high speed vibrations in my manual XR6 and its had similar things done as yours, mine appears to me driveline related but I do have a fair amount of weights on some of the rims.

Mines in today for a new right hand rear driveshaft so i'll report back later on that.

I noticed your in Perth too, so if you want we can compare vibrations!
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 22:44   #4 (permalink)

I havent had a problem with the tyres after 23,000kms. I find them exceptional in grip, no vibrations & they are wearing well too. However I know a XR6 n/a owner who found significant stress cracks on the casing of join of sidewall & tread on the inside of all 4 Dunlop tyres at about 12,000k. Rather unusual & worthwhile checking next time you wash it.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 16:22   #5 (permalink)

The vibration that you talk of is the only thing that I can complain about on my car. It is not always noticable but it does come in at the same speeds that you mention. The noise seems to go away at higher speeds or maybe I start concerntrating on other things.

I have found that the tyres are pretty noisy on some road surfaces (this was noticed on a recent trip up to Syd and back. The Hume has many different surfaces and gave me many different noises). An easy fix for the problem is to turn up the stereo.

DEMO
demo king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:28   #6 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Hi DK107401,

This problem of a vibration between 80 and 100 km/h sounds very familiar. A few months ago, after taking our XR6 in for a service, I noticed a vibration occurring around these speeds (that had never occurred before). I posted a topic about it at the time, which is located here - Interesting Driveline Problem

Basically in our case, the problem turned out to be the driveline, and, not the tyres. Though initially the tyres were suspected to be the culprit. However the tyres were ruled out as the dealer took all 4 tyres off and replaced them with a set of 16" steel wheels (of an XT), took the car for a run, and the problem still existed.

However, in your case, it sounds like it is a tyre issue, as everything else has been balanced.

Hopefully changing the tyres will fix the problem on your car.
Old 01-26-2004, 19:55   #7 (permalink)

I have also heard from a few people that the pressure recommendation for these tyres (235/45 R17 Dunlop SP3000) in the Ford manual are incorrect.

I have heard that the inner tread begins to wear prematurely at low pressures if the Ford manual minimum recommendation (ie..min 30psi) is used.

The recommendation from Dunlop is to have them at a minimum of 35psi, and if possible have them at around 36-37psi. This gives a slightly firmer ride, but the tyres will last for 40-50,000km

In terms of replacing the tyres, Ford is responsible for replacing the tyres if premature wear occurs. Not many people know about this ....
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 21:42   #8 (permalink)
BA at last

I have a vibration between 80-100 km/h. First noticed after the 15K service when the tyres were rotated. Subsequent balancing and alignments got me nowhere and my dealer has finally decided the cause of the problem is the tyres flat spotting. I know I have done nothing driving wise to cause this problem and I check the pressures on a weekly basis - 38psi. I have been offered no explanation as to how this could eventuate.

Waiting for the dealer to deliver the good news - 2 new tyres.
Superoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 16:54   #9 (permalink)
XR6

Hi all, been offline for a while. At my last visit with the dealer, they also tried to swap a set of tyres off another XR6 that had done 12,000kms. The vibration was not there.

I also contacted several tyre retailers, on average, the weights should not exceed 50 at the worst, hoever, I had 2 tyres at over 55gms on the RIM.

As per the other messages, they balanced the driveline twice, but that did not remove the problem.

Finally, Ford agreed to credit the tyres, but rather than put dunlops back on, I choose to have Pirelli P6000, which is comparable or better. The end result was to pay the difference of $20AUD per tyre to have Pirelli's which was great given the Pirelli's are much more expensive. Initially is was going to be around $100 per tyre, but I decided to get some of my own quotes and got this reduced, which they matched.

Since then, NOOOOOOOOO vibrations. Only comment I have with Pirelli's is that there seams to be a little sideways movement in the tyre, maybe they need more pressure and slightly more noisy than the Dunlops, but drive smoother.
Old 02-06-2004, 17:18   #10 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Good stuff DK107401. Good to see you have now got rid of those vibrations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo