XR6 Turbo tested by CSV - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2002, 17:34   #1 (permalink)

XR6 Turbo tested by CSV

On the 27th of last month I got to drive all the cars at the "Speed Guns II" day to be printed in next months wheels magazine. One of the cars was the XR6 turbo and I have to say it was a fast car considering it's a 6. But we found later in the day when the temp was getting up the SS and SV8 starting producing better test results. So have a look at wheels magazine the month (comes out on the 24th of this month) as it will be a very interesting read. Our CSV Mondo GT killed most cars and we recorded a new high speed record of 281KMH (For an Aussie car that is). The Top speed of the SV8 was higher than the GTS300 (264 Vs 256). The XR6 clocked 230 (Speed limited).
CSVAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2002, 17:44   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Thanks CSV
Driven an XR8 or GT yet??? No heat problem there I would imagine. Sounds good for the XR6T, dispite the temp slowing things down a tad. I guess it is to be expeceted from most turbo's.

When are you going to start building some CSV Fords instead of Holdens (use your knowhow for good and not evil!!) only kidding mate

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 17:44   #3 (permalink)
T/Control for sheilas

Just as well you did not test an Xr8 cause that is speed limited to 230km/h. I am bleeding cause i would love to wind an xr6t or and xr8 to about 281 km/h on the eastern freeway!! I am more interested in 0-100kmh times. anything after that is of little concern cause I'd like to keep doing it again and not to do my brief. Still i envy your ability to perform such feats in a controlled environment cause i doubt i would ever have the opportunity to do so.
Old 12-17-2002, 18:21   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by CDAA
Thanks CSV
Driven an XR8 or GT yet??? No heat problem there I would imagine. Sounds good for the XR6T, dispite the temp slowing things down a tad. I guess it is to be expeceted from most turbo's.

When are you going to start building some CSV Fords instead of Holdens (use your knowhow for good and not evil!!) only kidding mate

I will get to drive the XR8 and GT but Ford are keeping those under raps for the moment. I don't think CSV will starting building Fords but we do currently do exhaust systems etc for anyone. In Mildura we even do heaps of WRX's. But I have to say I like the new Fords, the look great and handle well but you know the old Holden Vs Ford crap gets a little out of hand, so I just say thumbs up for Fords efforts and lets hope Holden pulls their finger out.
Old 12-17-2002, 18:27   #5 (permalink)
GT(-P?) in the plans

Thanks for the info, and welcome to FordForums :)
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 18:30   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by gadgeman
Just as well you did not test an Xr8 cause that is speed limited to 230km/h. I am bleeding cause i would love to wind an xr6t or and xr8 to about 281 km/h on the eastern freeway!! I am more interested in 0-100kmh times. anything after that is of little concern cause I'd like to keep doing it again and not to do my brief. Still i envy your ability to perform such feats in a controlled environment cause i doubt i would ever have the opportunity to do so.
I'm not allowed to give any other cars times out until the magazine is released (I will get into big trouble). But I can say our Mondo GT did 0-100 in 5.25s and the quarter mile in 13.39. We also did a standing mile run for every car. But one thing to keep in mind is that all cars tested had two people, one being the wheels test driver and me with the Datron(Exact speed,distance and time measurement device) and a laptop. Now having two people in the car will result in a slightly slower time (For all cars).
Old 12-17-2002, 19:03   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

281 kmph is mighty impressive for a Aussie car. Does CSV do much study in aerodynamics with underbody work and lift, downforce and drag etc? It would be nice to see it edge closer to the tripple.

Interesting to see the new VY figures, the squarer rear is obviously more areodynamic than the old VT-VX round end. I guessing these would flow onto CSV Vy products?

It is also unfortunate that a unlimited version of the XR6 was not avalible. Being very aerodynamic and having a flat torque curve and plenty of power could have made it interesting.

Has CSV concidered any overseas markets? Given CSV's extenstive experience with Commodores, and freedom. They would seem to have a large optitunity in the UK, now that the HSV imports have suddenly ceased. With such positive figures surely the cars could sell themselves.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 19:33   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by IPhido
281 kmph is mighty impressive for a Aussie car. Does CSV do much study in aerodynamics with underbody work and lift, downforce and drag etc? It would be nice to see it edge closer to the tripple.

Interesting to see the new VY figures, the squarer rear is obviously more areodynamic than the old VT-VX round end. I guessing these would flow onto CSV Vy products?

It is also unfortunate that a unlimited version of the XR6 was not avalible. Being very aerodynamic and having a flat torque curve and plenty of power could have made it interesting.

Has CSV concidered any overseas markets? Given CSV's extenstive experience with Commodores, and freedom. They would seem to have a large optitunity in the UK, now that the HSV imports have suddenly ceased. With such positive figures surely the cars could sell themselves.

We do study the aerodynamics of all our cars. If you get a chance have a look at the PCOTY video the MOTOR puts out every year and there are repeated comments about excellent high speed handling. Also remember last year our top speed was 278, the year before 274. We are always around 20 to 30KMH faster than HSV.

We have considered overseas markets but the cost involved is way over the top, we have been in a few USA car mags as they wanted to show the potential Pontiac GTO customers what can be done with the our so to be rebadged Monaro.
Old 12-17-2002, 20:02   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Yes excellent work, I did recall last time you did quite well with only the 911 beating you in top speed.

So CSV doesn't have plans to follow Holdens expansion overseas? Arrrh well I suppose we will have to live with just having a excellent local operation! I didn't know you did exausts for all makes. Very interesting..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 20:37   #10 (permalink)
T/Control for sheilas

thanx again for the info and welcome to FF. Now being the engineering guru that you are, do you see any potential in the 4 valve v8 being a great foundation for some serious performance?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo