XR6T - How long can it last? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2004, 20:53   #1 (permalink)
Tony Montana - Scarface

XR6T - How long can it last?

Hey guys,

Now this appears like an odd question but I can't help thinking about the trusted VL Commodore Turbo. For years they were the biggest thing on the turbo scene (in Australia anyway) since sliced bread.
Will the XR6T go the same way? Will interest die in the ass eventually, like the VL?
Not now obviously, but in the next 5 yrs? 10yrs?

Your thoughts please.
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2004, 21:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: XR6T - How long can it last?

VL turbo's are still sort after....
damn "P" platers....
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 21:09   #3 (permalink)
Mid-life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8_forever
Hey guys,

Now this appears like an odd question but I can't help thinking about the trusted VL Commodore Turbo. For years they were the biggest thing on the turbo scene (in Australia anyway) since sliced bread.
Will the XR6T go the same way? Will interest die in the ass eventually, like the VL?
Not now obviously, but in the next 5 yrs? 10yrs?

Your thoughts please.

I don't think theres immeadiate danger of an XR-T death. The market has been strong since its release (remember the waiting time after release??) and it continues to sell. The entire package is extremely good value and affordable to many and while that remains obviously so will the car.

But 5 years ...... 10 years .... thats a long time. I don't think anyone can predict that accurately. Motoring trends have a habit of changing.

Ford obviously believe in the future of a turbo 6 in Australia otherwise we wouldn't be now seeing the F6. While the company believe in this technology and the public buy it they'll continue to sink money into it and the future will be assured.

Let's hope so anyway.
fpv f6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 21:10   #4 (permalink)

i agree theres still alot of vl turbos around. the ba's will be the next P plater thing
Old 11-05-2004, 01:34   #5 (permalink)
Classic Capri Member

Why the VL turbo stopped was the stopped making that car. That is all. The VN was supposed to get the Nissan 6 and probably would have got the turbo model also but it was to expensive so Holden changed the engine and put the buick 6 in instead. I gues there was no developed turbo version of the buick hence it was not done but there wazs the supercharged version which Aus ended up getting.
IRPACAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:21   #6 (permalink)
BLUEPRINT

I believe that it's not a matter of how long will the BA turbo trend last, i think it's a matter of how long will the BA turbo last!? By this i mean, in the cars life, it will be bought, thrashed, sold, bought, thrashed, sold, etc etc.This doesn't make for a very big life span. Ford's going to make a lot in spare parts.
Every time it gets passed on the price will drop, making it appealing to a younger(less well off) hooner. I think the rice scene of jap imports is getting bigger and stronger by the second, no chance of the turbo's dying out, typhoon and tornado to. Especially seeing as petrol is never going to get cheaper, who knows where the V8 is headed!?
xr6 ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:12   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRPACAUS
Why the VL turbo stopped was the stopped making that car. That is all. The VN was supposed to get the Nissan 6 and probably would have got the turbo model also but it was to expensive so Holden changed the engine and put the buick 6 in instead. I gues there was no developed turbo version of the buick hence it was not done but there wazs the supercharged version which Aus ended up getting.
Exactly right mate. Holden only used a Turbo over one model, unlike Ford that will most likely still produce XR6 Turbos 10 years from now.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:44   #8 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

The XR6T and the F6 (so far yet to be proven) are possibly the start of an entirely new phase in the Aussie car industry IMO. It has changed the way both sides (Holden and Ford - and their derivatives) have approached the aussie car market place only over the last few years.

The XR6T has, along with the BA as whole, rejuvenated Ford over the last few years, especially in light of its previous dismal failures in the performance and market place contexts. It has been descibed as a cult car and perhaps it is the cult car of the 21st Century, who knows? Perhaps the turbo 6 will become an aussie icon much like the V8 has been...

It is hard to predict its long term popularity (and durability but thats another issue) in the aussie market place, but I have to say, it doesnt look to damned bad for the XR6T and its relative, for the future. I think the V8 loving aussies have embraced the turbo 6 rather well and I think society may further have an impact on the decisions of aussie car buyers. I think petrol prices will have some effect as the petrol/oil issue is never really going to improve from here on.

I think there has been a massive aftermarket response to the XR6T since its release and I think this is only going to increase at technology develops this quickly. The F6 is begging for mods IMO, it can be as easy as plugging a chip into it. This is relatively cheap and easy to do and with massive gains, potentially, relative to the cost of such mods. And many of these mods improve more than the performance of the XR6T/F6, often there is a resulting improvement in fuel economy. There are many ways to play with boost that perhaps a V8 does not have the advantage of. The aftermarket will ensure that this trend continues for at least some time.

Essentially, for a reasonable price, you can get either an XR6T or even F6 which are both pretty awesome even in stock form. They are reasonably economical and pretty damned good to drive (I assume this re the F6) for the money and they are rather cheap to get going a whole lot faster with minimal serious messing around with engines. Mod technology is increasing massively to match the demand.

I would like to think, therefore that the XR6T and any other relatives it might have in the Ford/FPV lineup are here to stay for quite a while at least. Nothing will replace the Ford V8s and nor should they be replaced. The V8 will always have a spot in every aussie car lovers heart. But the turbo 6 has started something new and I think and hope it will last.

Bring on the FUN!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo