XR6T - Manual or Auto? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2004, 01:43   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

XR6T - Manual or Auto?

Hey All,

Im in the market for an XR6T. Im always said it will be manual although alot of people tell me the auto box is alot better with the XR6T. Is this true? Whats the differance. I believe manual in this car would make it more enjoyable!
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2004, 01:53   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Re: XR6T - Manual or Auto?

Both are great. As a drivers car the 'new' 6 speed manual is the way to go. As a modded drag strip racer or for excessive city driving go the auto. If your getting a series 1, the auto would also be my choice.

Manual's, both series 1 and 2 maybe prone to driveline shunt. If this is the type of thing that would bother you stay with the auto as well.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:57   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Hey Thomas, havn't seen you for a while mate. So how long till you want an XR6T? You'll have a car straight out of the box thats quite a bit quicker than your XR8 mate! If you're lookig to buy new, I would say go for a manual with the T56 box. if you're looking to go second hand then I would steer clear form the T5 box and get an auto. if you can wait a year or so, get a second hand MKII XR6T manual. It all depends on how much you want to spend or how long you want to wait.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:25   #4 (permalink)
MYF6

G'day Thomas. If your getting a Mk 1 then don't get the manual. A mate I work with has had his XR6T manual back to the dealer 3 times to have work done to the box. I have an XR6T Mk 1 auto and its been a dream. If your looking at the new Mk 2 then I'd go the T56 box.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:34   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: XR6T - Manual or Auto?

Hi Thomas

Well I'm biased, but I've had an 03 XR6T with a T5 manual for 4 weeks and the driving experience just keeps getting better. I too thought I would get an auto after reading T5 criticisms in road tests and whilst autos are undoubtedly smooth and refined (and by all accounts nearly as quick in standard form - quicker with mods), I took one drive of a manual and bought it. It clunks less as I learn to drive it more smoothly and I love the control of choosing gears. Like any car - you get used to things and flaws which bother one-off road testers are soon forgotten when you own a car.

I believe APS has a manual T which they have a Phase 3 kit on which is handling it OK.

Interestingly a number of friends who have driven my car and are not car enthusiasts (and hence have never read a road test) actually said the manual shift was easy and smooth (dunno about 5th to 3rd on that!) and really enjoyed it.

Drive both - then decide. There's nothing unpleasant about driving a T5 manual and if you go auto you'll love that too. Fact is, there's so much torque you won't need to change gears much anyway!

Enjoy

Mark
xr6turbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:52   #6 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Mines only an NA but I love the manual. The T5 in mine is not that bad, and I have no problem changing. I have driven both the manual and auto turbo and I depsised the auto. In fact it put me off it for quite a while. But then I was convinced to have a go in the manual and it was a totally different animal. I loved it.

Each to their own. If youre an auto person, then youll probably like the auto. If you like manuals then you'd probably like the manual too, especially with the 6 speed.... I would definitely recommend trying both before you buy it because at the end of the day it is a matter of preference.
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 17:58   #7 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Depends on what you like really. I'm more of an auto person myself, so of course I'm biased towards the auto. Each to their own really.
Old 11-07-2004, 21:19   #8 (permalink)

Hey Thomas, personal choice I suppose, I have a 03 T with a T5 and no probs at all. 260rwkw, and she handles it fine.
Personally getting a car like this you have to go the manual as it's a drivers car. However if you do alot of city driving (i.e sitting in traffic) give it alot of consideration
Old 11-08-2004, 00:22   #9 (permalink)
wasting money on cars

mines a dec 02 and i drive mine pretty hard and no probs with my manual.id say its how you use it you can drive hard without the need to slam gears and pop seconds
dicast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 17:27   #10 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Hey Thomas, havn't seen you for a while mate. So how long till you want an XR6T? You'll have a car straight out of the box thats quite a bit quicker than your XR8 mate! If you're lookig to buy new, I would say go for a manual with the T56 box. if you're looking to go second hand then I would steer clear form the T5 box and get an auto. if you can wait a year or so, get a second hand MKII XR6T manual. It all depends on how much you want to spend or how long you want to wait.
Hey Cobra,

Im good mate. Now lookin at an XR6T. I'll go for the series I as i cant hold on till next yr. The XR8's gone! Some scumbags knocked it off! I do know what the driveline clunks are all about as i regularly drive in a BA XR8 5spd whic suffers from it. I can live with it i guess. Plus id say a manual in any of these cars is alot more fun than the auto box! Hows that AU XR goin?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo