Is the XR6T Mk.2 slower than the Mk.1? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2005, 05:59   #1 (permalink)
MADABOUTFORDS

Is the XR6T Mk.2 slower than the Mk.1?

Does any one here know if the XR6T Mk2 6 speed is slower than the Mk1 5 speed? I know I've seen it mentioned in other threads previously that the original (Mk1) times measured by motor may have been unusually quick.

It just seems to me that the journos are having difficulty getting into the low 14's. I must say that my Mk2 6speed feels quick but the times in Motor are a little disappointing. Did they test in the heat with the WRP10 comparo? I'm curious! :-)
Blueblud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 15:46   #2 (permalink)
Conan

Re: Is the XR6T Mk.2 slower than the Mk.1?

I think that maybe the six speed wastes time changing gears, whereas the five speed uses the torque to make up for the lack of the extra gear. This happened with some of the Porshe turbos - the later model 6 speed were slower due to the time it took to change gears. That's my theory anyhow.
Old 05-12-2005, 20:04   #3 (permalink)
FF Moderator

I think you will find that MOTOR simply used XR6T Mk2 performance figures from the previous muscle car test in the April issue. The XR6T at the time was suffering greatly from heat (it was 39 degrees on the track I think). Other cars that were also suffering were the all the Holdens. Only two cars were happy, the GT and XR8.

In cooler conditions the Xr6T will shine once again.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:40   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if conan is spot on. It depends a lot on where the peak torque and torque range happens - and remember that it's a very flat torque curve on the XR6T. 450nm from 2000rpm to 4500rpm from memory.

So, you should be able to get away with changing gears in a 5 speed in those bands. The 6 speed will just have another change in there resulting in extra time off the loud pedal for a 6 speed vs a 5 speed.

Six speeds (and 5 for that matter) are mostly useful where you need to keep things wound right up at the hi rev range.

Of course, 'faster' depends on where we're talking. 0 to 60, 0 to 100, qtr mile, top speed run as to how many gear changes you'd need. Or if we're talking about around a track, it can depend on which track. That's why race cars modify all their gearing to suit each circuit...
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 15:42   #5 (permalink)
MADABOUTFORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
I think you will find that MOTOR simply used XR6T Mk2 performance figures from the previous muscle car test in the April issue. The XR6T at the time was suffering greatly from heat (it was 39 degrees on the track I think). Other cars that were also suffering were the all the Holdens. Only two cars were happy, the GT and XR8.

In cooler conditions the Xr6T will shine once again.
Thanks CDAA. It makes sense. The two times quoted are identical. That's a little odd isn't!? I must say though the 6 speeder is sensational!!! Never once missed a gear change!!! So far bullet proof.
Blueblud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 18:27   #6 (permalink)
BA Turbo

I wouldnt be too sure about the gear ratio difference. You'll find that the diff. ratio in the 6 SP equates to an almost exactly the same final gear ratio in the first 4 or 5 gears of the 6 sp as the 5 gears of the 5 SP.

There was a comparison done somewhere on the forum. Theyre almost the same except for the extra gear on the 6 speed.

If your referring to the times, yes, the MKII testing that motor did was on an EXTREMELY hot day. And under-bonet temps on the Turbo's are stupidly high. It needs a hole in the bonet real bad.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:46   #7 (permalink)

the heat had nothing to do with it....considering it was 40 degrees when motor pulled a 5.9 and 14.14 in a BA1 (the quickest of all journo testing). having spoken with Jesse Taylor (Motor Mag editor), he told me that this particular XR6T Mk2 (the one that ran 14.8) was just a dud....slow in all areas. he said that they have driven Mk2s that are just as quick as BA1s if not quicker with improved gear shift
Old 05-20-2005, 00:56   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan
I think that maybe the six speed wastes time changing gears, whereas the five speed uses the torque to make up for the lack of the extra gear. This happened with some of the Porshe turbos - the later model 6 speed were slower due to the time it took to change gears. That's my theory anyhow.

Ha??? the shorter diff ratio should make it a tad quicker down low if anything else
jetute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:09   #9 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetute
Ha??? the shorter diff ratio should make it a tad quicker down low if anything else
Hey jet, (its Rednut) The shorter diff is only there to bring the much taller T56 gear ratios back in line with were the T5 operates. In other words its no different. Only a heavier car with 20kg more in the strong T56.

The final drive ration of the first 4 gears are identical (or close enough to) and fifth was shorter on the T56 and sixth was waaaay longer than the T5 fifth.

Hope that helps.

1 week to go till edit...
Old 05-23-2005, 22:36   #10 (permalink)

It may not mean much, but I recon you'd struggle to find a MKII which has got more than 10k on the dial. I've got turned over 9000 and its just starting to free up, feels much quicker than what it did at 5000ks. Food for thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo