XR6T Modifying - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2002, 17:44   #1 (permalink)

Question XR6T Modifying

I know that this has been covered pretty extensively in this forum but I just want to voice a few opinions:

I've read here that the gearboxes of the new XR range are right on their limits and that the XR6-T's ECU etc doesnt take well or is nigh impossible to modify without causing major dramas.

I think this is a good thing....

Before you go shout me down listen up.

I believe that this car will be a X gen cult car. Like the WRX, it's a giant killing, spooled, sick moit looking beast. The WRX is HUGE on the mod scene and this, i reckon, will eventually kill its legendary status, say 10 years down the track. Its wont be a cult car forever like, lets say the GTHO/GT. By making the XR6T difficult to modify, then we will be seeing almost mint conditon examples running around in years to come.

Who wants to own a pre modified used car? eww. Hello boosted resale prices that, IMO should filter down the model range which will lead to increased popularity, increased sales and ultimately Ford on top.

How many original GTs are still running around?

**** i speak some incomprehensible shit..
subsbligh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2002, 18:05   #2 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

I believe one of the reasons why the WRX and Skylines, etc, are cult-cars is because of the easierly accessible aftermarket scene.
Do you really think that they would have sold just as good if they couldn't be moddied up at all? With restrictions to the box, ECU, etc? I'm sorry but I disagree.... But i can see where you are coming from.

Just kind-of off topic here, but does anyone know what happened with the modified xr6 turbos that Herrod was surposed to be displaying(?) at the Bob Jane 1000 event. (He said this in a thread about a week before Bathurst)
Old 10-29-2002, 18:15   #3 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Quote from the new Ford Performance magazine

Quote:
With the release of the Turbo XR6 upon us, we know of at least two potential buyers that want to crack the 300Kw mark.
Old 10-29-2002, 18:55   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuBBz
Just kind-of off topic here, but does anyone know what happened with the modified xr6 turbos that Herrod was surposed to be displaying(?) at the Bob Jane 1000 event. (He said this in a thread about a week before Basturst)
yeah i read that too dont know what happened there?
but im waiting desperately for herrods to release upgrades for the BA range.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 19:55   #5 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Eh, they were displayed!! What do you think the safety car and course cars were??? Herrod modified XR6Ts. Not engine modified - but the suspension, brakes and wheels were Herrod.

As for gearboxes worries with the new turbo, go check performance forums and see what happens when you modify SXs, etc - dead diffs, gearboxes, clutches etc. This is exactly what some of the Jap car owners said about the XR6T - it's really no different to the situation they have.
Old 10-29-2002, 20:19   #6 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

ok, thanks for clearing that up Venom XR!

Geee, i can't wait for these things to get moddied up...
these fellas at www.exvitermini.com have a number of modified cars including a 1,350 BHP R33 GTR (ET: 9.75s) here in Australia and have ordered 2 XR6T's...

"I have also ordered a number of the new Ford XR6 turbo cars as a new project. With an advanced (for a Ford) 4.0 litre, in-line 6 cylinder, turbo charged engine - it was asking for it. :) "

Very anxious to see the results!!

ChuBBz
Old 10-30-2002, 00:55   #7 (permalink)

Question anyone got kleenex??

waiting with baited breath for the aftermarket to start producing bolt -ons. would anyone like to take pot shots at how much peak torque the 6's would have without the limits in place?? also i was at my local dealership getting a few bits for my car and i asked when they would be expecting delivery of a turbo. i was told not untill january as they had been delayed... i then said no not the 8 the 6 and the reply was the same ... "early next year" is this BS ???
tx3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 01:59   #8 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

No, that is not BS tx3dude, you are in for a wait.
On the topic of the hotted up XR6T, perhaps it would have been better if they decide to offer a hotter-upper-friendly version as wel, if you know what I mean. That way, the guys that want to spend 20k on mods can do it, and then for the guys that don't, they buy the normal car.
But perhaps it will keep a better reputation or maybe a not so good reputation if it stays like this.
oh I don't know, I can't think, I am going to bed.
Oh yeah...I don't think you can touch the engine as it is, since the Gearbox will cark it if you do...I'm going to bed
Old 10-30-2002, 20:17   #9 (permalink)

On Performance Forums someone got 289rwkw on 15psi with a cold air intake, bigger intercooler & 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust. No more details were given but that works out to be approx 350kw at the engine.
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 15:11   #10 (permalink)

with all talk about the XR6T ECU being very hard to override, why not just intall a unichip or something?
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo