xr6t owners?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2002, 03:59   #1 (permalink)

xr6t owners??

i would just like to know if anyone can tell me how they should go!?

i have ordered an xr6t ute, AUTO (which i am not sure was a good move?wanted it for boat towing)

i took an turbo auto ute for a test drive on tuesday, and was not really that impressed with it! i maybe just expecting to much!
definately not staight line wheel spin was possible and through it into a couple of corners and it would not let go!(i know that says alot about how good it is) but under power i would expect it to step out.
this car was a demo that has obviously been thrashed, over 11 000 klm on it! and bad bang coming from the right rear. definatley didnt feel like 450nm of torque pushing me along.

and one had experience with the auto's??
GIANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2002, 04:24   #2 (permalink)
FF Moderator

For $1500 ish more, go the BOSS 260kW XR8 ute if your not happy. You will definitly feel that 500Nm!! Something doen't sound right however with the XR6T. It was a Turbo version wasn't it?? (not suggesting your stupid or anything, just covering that base).
My Brother in-law works for FMC and has driven a Turbo Ute. Your description of its performance definitely does NOT match his and he is a hard man to please. Maybe the auto isn't the box for you??

What are you comparing the ute to? (e.g. an SS ute, previous XR8 or 6 etc..)

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:33   #3 (permalink)
Spoolin' GT40

Re: xr6t owners??

Quote:
Originally posted by GIANT
i would just like to know if anyone can tell me how they should go!?

i have ordered an xr6t ute, AUTO (which i am not sure was a good move?wanted it for boat towing)

i took an turbo auto ute for a test drive on tuesday, and was not really that impressed with it! i maybe just expecting to much!
definately not staight line wheel spin was possible and through it into a couple of corners and it would not let go!(i know that says alot about how good it is) but under power i would expect it to step out.
this car was a demo that has obviously been thrashed, over 11 000 klm on it! and bad bang coming from the right rear. definatley didnt feel like 450nm of torque pushing me along.

and one had experience with the auto's??
You sure you tested a T U R B O ute?

I drove the auto turbo ute press car. I was smoken them going into 3rd gear. That beast stepped out so bad i could still be now in circle work heaven. One the bad side, understeers like a WRX.

Anyway, if you must have the ute, leaf springs and all, then itís a good car. Nothing like the spam you test drove. That being said, canít you tow your boat with a sedan?

What the hell are you doing buying a car and not really knowing if youíve done the right thing??

Moral of the story is test cars are ment to be driven like theyíre stolen!!
esky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:53   #4 (permalink)

biggrin

yes it was definately a turbocharged ute!

i was comparing it to wrx's and evo's i have driven.

i bought it because i have been looking for a new ute for a while and loved the idea of 4litres turdocharged!!

esky was i t an auto you drove?? did you have to use the brake pedal to get the tyres started?? because this ute would not have spun them in a straight line with out some serious abuse!!

it could put the speed on, no wheel spin though!

seems like this thing must have been a dud!
GIANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:13   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by GIANT
yes it was definately a turbocharged ute!

i was comparing it to wrx's and evo's i have driven.

i bought it because i have been looking for a new ute for a while and loved the idea of 4litres turdocharged!!

esky was i t an auto you drove?? did you have to use the brake pedal to get the tyres started?? because this ute would not have spun them in a straight line with out some serious abuse!!

it could put the speed on, no wheel spin though!

seems like this thing must have been a dud!
Traction Control was on perhaps?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:43   #6 (permalink)

I'm driving a manual... probably can't help you much sorry. All I know is mine goes like absolute clappers.
grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 14:08   #7 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

I'd say the traction control was definately on. The Turbo manual my mate has has no probs frying the tyres in 2nd mid corner at about 3000rpm in the dry.

I doubt the auto would lose that much power... my Fairmont bags em up no worries!! And its only got 148kw and 348nm.
Old 12-19-2002, 15:01   #8 (permalink)

I think you got a dud there mate. I drove both a manual and an auto (sedans) before i ordered my ute and they both went like the clappers.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 15:05   #9 (permalink)

my xr6t auto sedan has no problem stepping out around a corner (with trac cont. OFF). The right pedal under the dash asks to be pressed often in that regard.
Old 12-19-2002, 15:09   #10 (permalink)

I have a manual Turbo Ute fitted with the optional 18" wheels and 245/40R18 SP9000 which is the grippiest street tyre out there. I only have 200 kays on mine but can tell you my thing will power oversteer ( Wheel spin ) in second and third. As for straight line wheel spin in first its a matter of 2,500 - 3,000 rpm on the clock and let the clutch out progressively and the thing spins up so quick till it bounces off the limiter you can grab second and keep it going by balancing a little bit of brake until you got steel belts polishing the rear gaurd if you want to that is.
Race Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo