XR6T problem after problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 17:55   #1 (permalink)

frown XR6T problem after problem

I've got a XR6T: (new Apr 2003), and I have had nothing but problems. Besides the "teething problems you'd expect (power window issues, bonnet release broken, exhaust rattles, brakes machined etc), in the 15 months I've had my XR6T since new I've had these major show stoppers:
* @300km: coolant leaking
* @1,000km: turbo replaced (I believe it was never working to begin with)
* @6,800km : brake shudder: discs machined
* @7,000km: brake failure light comes on pulling onto freeway - brake hose has ruptured....and that's only 200km after they machined the discs
* @14,900km : brake shudder: discs machined
* @19,000km: Heater core goes...leaks into cabin....had reported smell (which turned out to be slowly leaking coolant for last 10,000km, but Ford could never "fault")
* @21,000km: Car had no power, stalls 3 times at lights....barely pulls away, takes 2 seconds to windup to 3k rpm....fix, was to reflash ECM..

I am at my wits end here. When it goes, its a great drive, but I am stuck catching a bus every two months while the car's in for "major" work.... (no courtesy car etc)..
Ford doesn't want to hear about the problems...."There just the wholesaler". My dealer only cares about their most recent fix....
I am slowly left to believe that there is something "CITRUSy" about my XR6T, even though it is Mercury Silver.

If this keeps up, I am going to have to sell it.....its costing me to much down time in terms of work and time in general.

Anyone got any ideas what I can do about it??? What are my rights?? I think I have been very tolerant so far....but enough is enough....and all this from taking delivery.

Very Angry...
gull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2004, 03:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: XR6T problem after problem

Sorry to hear mate have u tried changing dealers.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:42   #3 (permalink)
.au member

Unfortunate to hear of yet another problem car - it seems a few members have them now and that's not a good thing.

First off I'd be changing dealers, or at the VERY least giving them a good kick up the arse - a sternly written letter to the DP, and a few visits demanding something be done about the car as well as a courtesy car at the very least.

If that doesnt work (and to be honest it probably wont), change your dealer, get it to the new one with a written list in as much detail as you can of what is wrong, get them to go through it one by one, and prove to you once the work is completed that it is fixed - ask them to physically show you EVERYTHING they have done to the car.

And if still nothing happens - the mention of the Department of Fair Trading usually has a pretty quick effect.

Best of luck.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:49   #4 (permalink)

Check : coolant leaking > Had this, replaced radiator

Check : brake shudder: discs machined > I think everyone has had this, .. i'm dreading whats going to happen after warranty.

Check : Car had no power, stalls 3 times at lights....barely pulls away, > had this.. flashed ecu and cleaned throttle body

Noisy exhaust : had this fixed twice... my EF still had less exhaust noise.

Idle problems.. They fixed idle pulley.

Steering noisy.. fixed that.

fog lights both fallen loose. and what ever other things the previous owner fixed.
i've had it for 5 montths!!! and ... its actually citric!
lemon acid?
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:50   #5 (permalink)

dealers ask 40 bucks plus petrol for courtesy cars!
nice warranty. after paying almost 50 grand for a car!
Old 07-30-2004, 03:26   #6 (permalink)

It sucks when this happens, I got a friend in Melbourne which had pretty much the same problem than you had. He has resigned him self that the car will be as new by the time hes has done 60k as most parts will be replaced by then, even the passanger seat which gets no use had to be replaced. As far he is concerned he will never by a Asutralia Car, this was his first and last.
Old 07-30-2004, 20:17   #7 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

I've done 4500km and had zero problems. Not even diff clunk or brake shudder. Maybe the later 2004 BA's are better? Who knows. SO far so good
Old 08-01-2004, 06:54   #8 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
I've done 4500km and had zero problems. Not even diff clunk or brake shudder. Maybe the later 2004 BA's are better? Who knows. SO far so good
Mine is ok. Done 3000Km. The diff does clunk, but i got the car knowing that there would be a 90% chance that it would.

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:19   #9 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Mine's not a T, but anyway, got it June 2003. Just about to have 2nd clutch rebuilt.

The dealers (I have changed dealers) give me a loan car when I INSIST and when they try and charge me for it, I INSIST on not paying for it. Last time got a brand new Focus for 3 days, with a full tank, all for free. And got flowers when I came back to get it - he he! Throw a tantrum - works for me! Not giving you a loan car for warranty work is NOT acceptable, regardless of what they say.

As for the rest, that is just shoddy - a GOOD dealer should have picked up a lot of that stuff, ie turbo not working, coolant leaks!!!!

Tip: Take it to a reputable NON FORD bunch of guys in your area, like your local performance dudes or whatever. I took mine for a check, back to the guys who did my chip. They went over it with a fine tooth comb when it went there for its service (never get it serviced at Ford) and gave me a VERY comprehensive report of what was wrong with it (they didnt attempt to fix anything) which included various leaks, verification of the clutch issues, oil and coolant usage, etc. I took this report with me to the dealer (who knew my guys) and the dealer did not argue one bit about fixing it all up...the reason I do that is coz being a chic with complaints, they tend to ignore me on the basis that I dont know what I'm talking about. They tend to take a report from an independent mob a lot more seriously.

My guys also checked it afterwards to make sure it was all fixed properly. Some of it wasnt, and back it went to the dealer.

And the non Ford guys tend to be a LOT more thorough when they are looking for faults than Ford service depts. Funny that.

Write letters, really nasty/emotional ones...to extremely senior people. That works.

Havent had brake shudder though. Yet...

Good luck!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 08:08   #10 (permalink)

Ford honoured you warranty even with a chip and other mods???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo