XR6T v FPV GT-P - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo Turbo Talks start here.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 03:35   #1 (permalink)

XR6T v FPV GT-P

Hi all,

I currently drive a BA Fairmont Ghia but am giving that up for a choice between two cars. As a Ford owner all my life I am currently intoxicated with both the XR6T and the FPV GT-P. A couple of test drives has not helped me make my mind up so I would be delighted if you could share some reasons why the FPV GT-P may be a better choice than the XR6T or vice versa. Since I do not want to "flip a coin", any advice you could share from your own experiences would be sincerely appreciated. I am keenly interested in safety, performance and a driving experience that will leave a permanent smile on my face.

Safe and happy driving...Dr Z.
Dr Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 04:12   #2 (permalink)
APS Phase 3 Ute

Re: XR6T v FPV GT-P

Wait for the FPV Turbo, you can see it at Melb motor show in a couple of weeks I think.
Old 02-19-2004, 15:12   #3 (permalink)
Movin!

re: xr6T's and GT's.... it's interesting to see on the "other" xr6 forums how many people are trading in their T's on GT/GT-P's after a while!
Old 02-19-2004, 17:11   #4 (permalink)

cool Re: XR6T v FPV GT-P

Hey Dr Z

I think I read somewhere esle on this site that ford will introduce the luxo pac on the xr models, so why not get one of those (A ghia xr6 turbo) then spend another 5-6k at a performance shop?

I think the GT needs some work :)

Warra
Warrawump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:39   #5 (permalink)

After driving an XR6T as my everyday car for the last 6 months and driving a whole heap of GT & GT-P's (I work for John Bowe Institute of Driving and drive the cars on the FPV drive days) I can give a fairly accurate comparison. I do not want to sound biased with my opinions but the XR6T is a top performer with a huge $$$ saving on the GT/GT-P.

The handling is a little more nimble, the standard brakes are good (both of these issues relate to the lighter weight of the XR6T) and the performance feels similar. As you know, the XR6T has plenty of aftermarket options to up the power but I have not done any of that. The only change that I have made is that I have changed the brakes to an aftermarket AP Racing Caliper and Disk set up.

This brake change is great as the car will now stop every time from the high speeds that I drive at on the track unlike the standard brakes that do stop the car well but fade quickly when stopping from 200kmh+ time after time. The AP Racing brakes are way better than the XR6T option brakes (standard FPV brakes) and due to the better (separate) hub/rotor set up (dissipates heat much better) they are better than the FPV option Brembos and only cost $3500, not $6900 or whatever those things cost.

I have had the situation where I have been running the FPV drive day, racing around in GT/GT-P's all afternoon and then when I have driven out to collect the witches hats I have surpirsed myself at how fast I am reaching the corners and then how well the car stops and then how well the car turns in and then how well it puts the power down in the exit of the corner.

I really do believe that the XR6T is better but each to there own. The only down side is that there is no roar of a V8 and the GT/GT-P's do sound great. With the XR6T you feel the power/torque but there is not roar and then you look at the speedo and you are flying, it is a little weird without the noise (I am used to racing cars that are totally roar and you can hear and feel everything). I hope that I have not offended any GT/GT-P owners and I hope you will guys still let me drive your car at the next FPV drive day.

Sorry to ramble on but I wanted to let you know (you asked for it) about my experience of the XR6T vs GT/GT-P's.

Demo King
demo king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > F6 Typhoon | XR6 Turbo