Model A as a daily driver - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Antique Fords > Model A & Model T
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 07:03   #1 (permalink)

Model A as a daily driver

Hi folks, I'm in discussion with some friends re the idea of using a Model A as a daily driver. Some comments have related to the heads being prone to cracking near the headbolts. Any comments? I can't see that as being a prob considering the zillions of model A's that were in constant use in their day; strikes me that a Model A would be ideal as a round town car, very simple and reliable, not even a fuel pump to worry about. All comments appreciated.

cheers,
maxjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 08:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: Model A as a daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjaguar
Hi folks, I'm in discussion with some friends re the idea of using a Model A as a daily driver. Some comments have related to the heads being prone to cracking near the headbolts. Any comments? I can't see that as being a prob considering the zillions of model A's that were in constant use in their day; strikes me that a Model A would be ideal as a round town car, very simple and reliable, not even a fuel pump to worry about. All comments appreciated.

cheers,
I have to ask why ?
I drove one to high school 35 years ago with success then bought a 39 , the std motor etc is not going to handle a lot of use these days , gonna rod it ?
winding it up with the starter is out is hard work :)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:02   #3 (permalink)

Well, reason is that value for money, a well restored a sedan can be got for about 11k or less sometimes, parts supply no problem, what can you buy these days for 11k (restored) that doesn't have auto/power everything, auto trans, power windows, booster, tilt wheel, power steering, ie, endless systems that can go wrong, not to mention fuel injection with fuel distributors, finicky jets, two fuel pumps, air volume sensors, etc etc, then the computer controllers and all the sensors that need to be all working right, then the smog control systems with carbon cannisters, air pumps, more sensors, clogging cat converters etc etc. What a nightmare, especially once these rockets get to 100k miles (the throw- em- away mileage). Even the earlier (60's) cars were a nightmare, I can remember spending whole weekends fixing the window electrics in my imperials; what a waste of time! As for cranking them over, after hand-crank starting a 6.3 liter 1926 Minerva, I can handle an a. Well that's my rant.
Cheers
maxjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:37   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjaguar
Well, reason is that value for money, a well restored a sedan can be got for about 11k or less sometimes, parts supply no problem, what can you buy these days for 11k (restored) that doesn't have auto/power everything, auto trans, power windows, booster, tilt wheel, power steering, ie, endless systems that can go wrong, not to mention fuel injection with fuel distributors, finicky jets, two fuel pumps, air volume sensors, etc etc, then the computer controllers and all the sensors that need to be all working right, then the smog control systems with carbon cannisters, air pumps, more sensors, clogging cat converters etc etc. What a nightmare, especially once these rockets get to 100k miles (the throw- em- away mileage). Even the earlier (60's) cars were a nightmare, I can remember spending whole weekends fixing the window electrics in my imperials; what a waste of time! As for cranking them over, after hand-crank starting a 6.3 liter 1926 Minerva, I can handle an a. Well that's my rant.
Cheers
Yes...just do it!! Less things to go wrong in an old Model A.Never mind the down sides...you will enjoy driving everyday!!
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Antique Fords > Model A & Model T