1963 Fairlane FrontEnd rebuild - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2004, 12:35   #1 (permalink)

1963 Fairlane FrontEnd rebuild

I need to rebuild the frontend on my Fairlane, one of the greasefittings around the driverside upper balljoint is 3/4ths gone, at this point I am hoping I haven't permantly ruined anything that is hard to replace.

What parts do I need to buy? What company has the better Value parts? I am not looking for the most expensive, just those that will keep my car in good shape for years to come.

What all should I replace while I am replacing the upper ball joints? I am presuming I should replace both uppers and Lowers at the same time...Any other parts I should be aware of?

Will I need any special tools for the repair? I am probably going to put the frontend on myself, and then have Dscount Tire take care of adjusting the alignment when I buy new tires...

Which brings me to rims, I need 1-3 new 13" five hole rims...anybody have some good ones lying around from when they went to customs?

Are there any tutorials/guides/walkthroughs that I can look at, either online or in magazines that will be of aide in this rebuild? I have the 1963 supplement manual, and the 1962 manual is in the mail.

Heres a little history of the car:

I bought the car through Ebay in Dallas Texas, took the train form Tucson AZ to Texas, then drove the car back to Tucson including an extra 1000 miles of visiting my family during my vacation leave. The car needed nothing more then a new battery and new cables, though it is now known that only the cables were bad. It made it to Arizona on the tires that were on it, I had to replace on in Springerville AZ as it was going low, but it made it to the shop no problem...two layers of radials were shoing on the tire...thinnest rubber I have ever felt. I then had to replace a second tire once I got to by dad's near prescottValley, and when I asked the tire shop to fix the tire, they took it off and asked me exactly what it was I wanted them to do with it....the tire had lost an inch width of tread 3/4 around the tire. it unfortunately has had the odometer removed, so I only know I have driven it roughly 2500 miles since purchasing it.

It is a four door,m Straight Six 200 CID, doesn't burn oil, Very good mileage for a 41 year old 3500 lb boat (20mpg or so). Someone was obviously very busy rebuilding it before they donated it to the service that Iauctioned it off, as the floorboards have all been replaced, nevermind the new ones were put in with pop rivets. the seats have new seatcovers, the headliner has been redone, the engine perhaps rebuilt...unfortunately someone painted it Chevy orange, THE NERVE!!!

The engine does have a problem in that the rear two bolts on the manifold are missing, and the brackets on the block for the rear is also broken...If I keep the block, I will have to find a welder to build a new bracket, which doesn't sound cheap...The manifold itself has hairline fractures, mostly due to the missing bolts not supporting the back end of the exhaust manifold. I will also have to replace the manifold gaskets.

So far, I am rather pleased with my car...it made it this far!
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 00:26   #2 (permalink)
eon
Grumpy Old Fart

Re: 1963 Fairlane FrontEnd rebuild

Have you considered replacing the front suspension with new stuff? This enables you to update the front suspension, get better brakes and fit bigger wheels.
eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 14:05   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon
Have you considered replacing the front suspension with new stuff? This enables you to update the front suspension, get better brakes and fit bigger wheels.
I find that if everything works well as it is, and if I do wish to upgrade, it is always easier to start if nothing has been done then it is to undo a bad upgrade further down the road...

By the way, what parts should I be looking if I ever want to do a frontend upgrade? I probably will want to do the disk brake job in the future someday, but right now, that is a litle more expensive and time consuming then I have right now..as if replacing ball joints is not time consuming!
Old 07-08-2004, 16:34   #4 (permalink)

Bought new tires and rimes...all the troubles in the front end went away!
Old 07-08-2004, 20:41   #5 (permalink)
eon
Grumpy Old Fart

Hey Benny
Post of pictures of your beast
Old 07-09-2004, 12:28   #6 (permalink)

[IMG][/IMG]

Heres a picture of it when it was still in Dallas...It is a beast that gets better mileage then todays pickups and SUVs...mwhahaha!

I need to find someone with an outdoor camera...those new rims make it feel real good!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 17:34   #7 (permalink)
eon
Grumpy Old Fart

You've got a bit of work to do there Benny.
But that's what it is all about isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino