1963 Ford Fairlane - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04   #1 (permalink)

1963 Ford Fairlane

Hi, I have an engine question for the experts. I have a 63 Fairlane with a V8 and no way to tell what size it is if any one could help I would greatly appreciate it!
nano817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007, 05:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane

In 1963 it would be rare if you had an engine other than the 221 V8. This was the first L-Head sbf. The 260s, 289s, and 302s all came from this engineering.

There are casting numbers behind the starter and on the top of the heads that will help you make certain. Also, the 221 did not have the positive crankcase vent system yet. Your oil fill tube doubles as the vent for the crankcase and you won't find a hole in your valve cover on the driver side for oil fill.

I hope this helps.
Bkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 18:22   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano817
Hi, I have an engine question for the experts. I have a 63 Fairlane with a V8 and no way to tell what size it is if any one could help I would greatly appreciate it!
Depends if it is original or not.

V8 on the fender is a 221 has yellow valve covers

260 on the fender is a 260 (very common) has red valve covers

289 HIPO on the fender and gold valve covers

Serial number 5th digit is engine

L is 221
F is 260
K is 289 HIPO

all will be 5 bolt bellhousings

If the engine is not original, then checking casting numbers on the block by the starter is a beginning.

Also look at the driver's side engine front where the head deck mills off the top of the water pump boss. There is an engine assembly code stamped there which can indicate the assembly date, which combined with the block casting number can get you into the direction of what you have.

I need a windshield for a hard top.
Nottooold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino