1974 Mercury Montego :) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 17:43   #1 (permalink)

Question 1974 Mercury Montego :)

Hey guys, im new to this site. Im wanting to know a few things about my fathers car, i was not sure where to post this as its a mercury but it shares some of the same components as the torino. Anywey, we bought it 2 years ago and the guy who we bought it off has fitted a holley 4160 to its 351w. Now i know our montego was not meant to be a muscle car as it is the 4 door mx brougham, but it is pretty fast for the size of the car. It has been in a race against an import (evo 8) and the montego smoked it. Anywey, im just wondering if you guys could have a guess at what power output it might have, we're looking at another carb, possibly an edelbrock. What would you guys say? We use the car on the street, its not really kitted out for the strip. We do have some video's of the car on youtube. Feel free to ask for the link. Hope you blue oval lovers can help :) By the way, we live in the UK so we dont exactly have as many speed shops as you guys :(
muscle_richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 19:08   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1974 Mercury Montego :)

From what little I've gotten from it, probably about 260-300 horses.
Old 09-12-2012, 15:14   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
From what little I've gotten from it, probably about 260-300 horses.
sorry about that, we haven't put it on dyno. I would love to though, just to see what its putting out.
Old 09-12-2012, 15:26   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Well, there's variables that you might not know, either, such as if there was any valve work done on the heads, is the cam still stock, etc.

A stock 351 from that era in the Montego only pushed about 162 HP, the CJ version ran up to about 265.So with a few mods, the car can easily top 300.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:20   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, there's variables that you might not know, either, such as if there was any valve work done on the heads, is the cam still stock, etc.

A stock 351 from that era in the Montego only pushed about 162 HP, the CJ version ran up to about 265.So with a few mods, the car can easily top 300.
as far as i know mate, the cams are original, its just the carb and twin exhausts that are custom. It can easily get from 0-60 in 5 seconds
Old 09-13-2012, 18:47   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Impressive for that heavy of a car.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:09   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Impressive for that heavy of a car.
yea, i was surprised, i think your right to be honest, am sure there's some other things been done to that engine, ive just had a look and ive found that it has an edelbrock manifold. Not sure if that has changed the engine but people have said that it sounds a lot more powerful than 162bhp. The owner before us said its like a wolf rapped in sheep's clothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino