390 Torino rebuilt engine overheating--Help!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 08:18   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 390 Torino rebuilt engine overheating--Help!!!

Hi all, I posted this in the FE engine forum as well, but I thought you guys with the Torino's and Fairlanes might be able to relate well too.

Ok, Long story here, so I'll try not to bore you, but I have a friend who I've been helping with rebuilding a 390 to put into his 68 Torino.

Quick specs:
390 bored 0.030", 9.5:1 compression
Edelbrock Performer rpm heads
Weiand stealth intake
Holley 750 vac sec
Comp XE274 hydraulic flat tappet cam
Hooker super comp headers
Milodon water pump
new 4 core copper/brass radiator
180 degree thermostat
Flexalite dual electric fan setup with shroud-2500cfm, puller, and wired correctly

The car originally had a 302/c4, we found a donor car with a 390/c6. He had the 390 rebuilt by a place in St. Louis who screwed him over and never installed one of the oil galley plugs, so it sounded like sh1t for a long time before we finally pulled it back out and had a local guy (Columbia, MO) rebuild it. He found the missing plug spot, we changed cams, and had it dyno'd to make sure that it ran ok since putting it in and taking it out of the torino is a major chore. It made 365hp/400lbft and seemed to run fine on the dyno although we never ran it for a long period of time. Once in the car, it is overheating consistantly. Sitting and idling, it does fine, with load applied and cruising it overheats. We've replaced the thermostats and radiator cap which did not help anything. We measured the inlet and outlet temps of his radiator through the fins and a temperature probe, and the inlet was 175 degrees, and the outlet was 135 degrees. This test was done at idle once the car was fully heated up and cycling the cooling system normally.

The car also seems to get up to temperature very quickly, which could be me, just a thought if it helps.

So, my question is what would make this thing overheat when cruising, not when sitting still.

Have any of you run into this?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. This has been a very trying and time consuming project.

Thanks,
Scott
heckeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 15:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: 390 Torino rebuilt engine overheating--Help!!!

Check your timing, at idle you have lots of vacume so the timing is advanced.
he moto could be running a bit retarded.

Other thing is all the 390 over here in Aust. run 160 deg thermastats.
ronhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino