'76 ZH Fairlane Marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 16:20   #1 (permalink)

cool '76 ZH Fairlane Marquis

Hey everyone ,

I have a "76 ZH Marquis running a 351c stock with FMX and standard 9"...Ok i want to midly improve performance and increase fuel efficiency if possible. What are the best exhaust and extractors combo, ignition/coil setup, mild engine mods & tweaks that i should use on a budget..like around $5000??

Please help, i cant find much on these beautiful beasts!

Aaron
Marquis_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 16:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: '76 ZH Fairlane Marquis

Getting economy increase as well as power increase is not easy. It can be done to a certain extent. To start with, get a nice exhaust system, get the carb rebuilt and serviced, nice air cleaner setup, maybe get the heads ripped off and rebuit, ported etc. These things will make your car more efficient and economical with some noticable power gain.

If you start changing things like cams etc then your fuel consumption will staqrt going up.

All depends on the condition of the motor. If it's tired it might pay to get it rebuilt which will help all round.

I Had a 78 P6 LTD which was completly stock. Changed to pacemaker exhaust and ramflow air cleaner which produced very noticable power increase. but was still getting up to 18-20 mpg.
Old 12-17-2005, 16:44   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: '76 ZH Fairlane Marquis

OK i forgot to mention that the engine is being rebuilt after about 198,000 KM...

Thanks for the advice but now to go a bit deeper:

What type of ram air setup (brands etc), extractors etc should i use? Anything else?

Cheers :)
Old 12-17-2005, 16:57   #4 (permalink)

Like I said, I used a pacemaker header, 2 1/4 inch independant split system and I was very happy with it. Any performance air cleaner will do the trick. I use a ramflo 1000 which bnis supposed to be rated to 1000 cfm.

You mention air ram which suggests a shaker style scoop which will help out but may look odd on such a big bonnet.
Old 12-17-2005, 20:19   #5 (permalink)

Thanks you heaps, i will take you advice on this mild setup. Thanks for the help!

Aaron
Old 12-17-2005, 20:27   #6 (permalink)

Even just changing your air fliter to a more efficent type like a K&N will make a difference. Also if the engine is being rebuilt, a mild cam such as something in the 200/205 duration at 0.050" lift would give an increase in torque but still good economy and work with stock convertor/diff gears.

With the heads, a good basic rebuild, new guides and teflon seals, hardened exhaust valve seats so you can run unleaded fuel. Also it would be wise, while the heads are being done, to get a 3 angle valve job and blend of the bowl area. This is the best value for money improvement on a set of cleveland heads.

If not already fitted, an electronic distributor and ignition system is a must. If you're still running a points distributor, definitely change it. Either a later model Bosch set up or any reputable aftermarket system will make a big improvement on the starting and efficent running of the engine.

I agree with Dmax, a set of Pacemaker interfernce type extractors and a dual 2.25" exhaust system with a H pipe will also make a noticeable improvement.

Just my 2c, but hope it helps.
ToddZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 17:01   #7 (permalink)

Thanks ToddZC,

Your information has been a big help, especially about the head reco tips. Soon i will be putting it all into practice.

What you said about the heads..do i need any more detail or will the reco guys know what im talking about exacctly?

Thanks once again!

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino