Changing dash on P6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 15:44   #1 (permalink)

Changing dash on P6

While sitting in my car contemplating a rebuild i realised the instrument cluster was about as exciting as watching an opera so ive been thinking about putting in the instrument cluster from an XC GS/GXL etc has anybody ener tried this?
mattlea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 19:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: Changing dash on P6

From memory it will fit and screw straight in,but you need to modify your Wiring Loom or get the Loom from under the Dash of an XC GXL,GS or Rally Pack or whatever they are called?
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:14   #3 (permalink)

The XC dash seems to have rounded corners as opposed to the P6 dash which has square corners. I think you will spoil the P6 Feel if you do it. If you don't like it , maybe the ZH is more your style.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:29   #4 (permalink)

Yeah,on closer inspection...You would have to unbolt the whole Dash and replace it with a XC or ZH unit for this to do it properly.ZH is better as it has the simulated woodgrain on the Glovebox Lid.
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 14:49   #5 (permalink)

That sounds like a lot of work as the Fairlane and Facon dash had the heater control in the centre and the LTD has them in the console looks like its back to the drawing board
Old 04-09-2005, 16:12   #6 (permalink)

As stated above, the only difference netween the XC and ZH is that of the Oil pressure. This can be covered by purchasing a 0 - 700 Kpa sender, as compared to the make/break set up for the ZH idiot light. Other than that, the ZH is very similar, except cosmetics.

As Dmax has stated, the LTD cluster, crash pad, dash etc is completely different. Yes, it can be a bit boring but it all depends on what you like. It would be interesting to see if this would work as the loom will need to be changed (XC/ZH's never had the volmeter where as the P6's do). You may well have to go for a complete GXL dash or Fairlane dash with GXL cluster.

Paul
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 16:29   #7 (permalink)

If i can buy a GXL dash at the right price i might be able to muck around with it and see how i go i wish Ford would have stuck to a similar dash to the P5 as im pretty sure that they came with a tacho.
Old 04-09-2005, 18:20   #8 (permalink)

P5's did not have a tacho. They had a large clock on the left side of the dash.

I would say that as far as ford would have been concerned, why would a grandpa want a tacho, more need for clock so so not to be late for bowls!
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:52   #9 (permalink)
in his big ZH

I have had two ZH's but never been inside a P6. I have seen a couple of pics and noticed some basic dash differences between the P6 an ZH, does anyone have some nice close-ups of the P6 instruments?
Big_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 15:07   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Matt
I have had two ZH's but never been inside a P6. I have seen a couple of pics and noticed some basic dash differences between the P6 an ZH, does anyone have some nice close-ups of the P6 instruments?
Basically the entire setupn would have to be be swapped out, even the crash pad is different, the vent controls are in the centre console, etc. would be a huge job. Might be easier to put the P6 tail and nose cone on a ZH.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino