Fairlane Owners - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2003, 21:33   #1 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Fairlane/Torino Owners

I have set this new area up for members that were requesting a Fairlane/Torino Enthusiasts area. If you are interested in getting this area larger or have some general questions please do not hesitate to post in here. Of course we are looking for a few good moderators to help build this area up to be one of the premier Ford Fairlane/Torino discussion area on the web.

Contact us if you would like to have a role in this area.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 12:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fairlane/Torino Owners

Found this site inadvertantly, but since I owned a 63 Fairlane with some unusual characteristics, I thought I'd post and see if anyone knew anything about this type of car. In 1968 I bought a 1963 4 door Fairlane 500 with a 260 V-8 and 3 speed. Not too unusual until you opened the hood and found two things, first a factory stock 4-barrel and second, fiberglass fenders. It also had oversize by one size tires, but they could easily have been put on after market. I bought the car from Worthington Ford, Worthington Minn. a dealership owned by my wife's uncle. He had sold the car originally for use by a salesman for a cookie company (Sathers) in Round Lake, Iowa. It was a high mileage car with 110,000 on it when I got it, but ran like it was barely broken in, all highway miles. Once when in for service (blow back through the PCV valve, common in 63's), I talked to one of the mechanics that had worked on the car since it was new. He swore that both the carb and fenders were 63 options and had always been on the car, he showed me some tags glued to the inside of the fender near the front, with Ford ID's on them. I can understand the carb, since the 260 was the same engine as a 289, and lots of 289's had 4 barrels, but the fiberglass fenders surprise me. I understand that late in the model run you could special order 2 door post Fairlanes (like the ones used in the 64 Thunderbolts), with fiberglass fenders and lots of deletes, but it really surprises me to have had them on a 4-door. In 63 2 and 4 door models supposedly used the same front fenders. Maybe they did it for gas mileage, it got 24 mpg on the highway, and the faster you drove the better the mileage. We used to crusie across South Dakota at 85 and got even better mileage. My wifes uncle did not remember anything about the 63's, nor were there any records at the dealership, so we couldn't find the original order. Since it was a company car, and the company didn't keep any records on "old" cars that they traded in, they were of no help. They had lots of info on current cars and trucks (all from Worthington Ford), including original purchase orders, but threw it all away when the traded them in. It was 1970 when I got really curious and tried to find out some things.
Unfortuneately in 1969 we traded it in on a 69 Mercury Montego MX Wagon (again with some wierd performance options) with a 351 Windsor, bad move in 69, we should have kept the Fairlane. It was purchased by the mechanic who had worked on it, and 4 years later when the dealership was sold and closed he was still driving it.
If anyone has ever heard of this kind of strange stuff on the early Fairlanes it would sure satisfy my curiosity.
azviking3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 14:02   #3 (permalink)

Re: Fairlane Owners

Actually that is not strange at all. All automakers made what they call an end of the year car which was made up of whatever was left over. Sounds like you got a car with a bunch of the thunderbolt bolt left overs on it. Happens alot when they want to get more cars out that year but dont have all the correct parts they scrounge up everthing they have and built these rare yet not really documented cars. I had a cutlass one time that had a ton of hurst olds stuff on it from the factory and yet it wasnt the hurst olds.
easyrid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino