Got Me First Car Yesterday - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2003, 15:44   #1 (permalink)
XY UTE 351C 4spd 9"

Smile Got Me First Car Yesterday

hey, I got me first car yesterday arvo, its a FC LTD with a 351c It needa a little work on the engine (me bro said the rings may be gone cause puffs out a little smoke under a lot of accelerator. While i'm at it can anyone tell me how hard it is to convert it to unleaded and what sorta cost would be involved in doing it ?

thx all
j_o_e_l_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2003, 01:52   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Got Me First Car Yesterday

stainless steel valves or something similar is what you need to run unleaded...as of cost ask your local mechanic
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 13:15   #3 (permalink)

nice job with your first car there man, ive had my 302C XD since i was 14
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 15:15   #4 (permalink)
aka Moby

could just be your valve stem oil seals that are a bit gone, if its just little bits of smoke, you will notice it when you decelerate going downhill or accelerate going uphill. If she is pushing out smoke all the time then its probably rings. I think [and note I say think] that light grey smoke means valve stem oil seals, dark grey means rings.
congrats on the car.
Repeating "I think"again, that 351c's are okay with unleaded, but double check on that, we still have leaded petrol but are changing over to unleaded only in 2006 and I did a bit of research on it awhile ago [got 3 351c's] and from what I can remember that was the general consensus.

Last edited by Rustyfords; 12-25-2003 at 15:19.
Rustyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 04:02   #5 (permalink)
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_o_e_l_05
hey, I got me first car yesterday arvo, its a FC LTD with a 351c It needa a little work on the engine (me bro said the rings may be gone cause puffs out a little smoke under a lot of accelerator. While i'm at it can anyone tell me how hard it is to convert it to unleaded and what sorta cost would be involved in doing it ?

thx all
i had the heads done for my 351 windsor for $800. not sure what he did but whatever was needed.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 23:06   #6 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

If you're worried about valve life, not terribly concerned about environment, I saw 'real lead' additive at parts store the other day...tetraethyl lead over the counter- dont get any on you!
a dab in the tank occasionally could be alternative to putting stainless seats in your motor. you could probably replace 'umbrella' valve stem seals easily by yourself for minimal cost- wont help worn guides, but should slow oil consumption.
might also suggest looking at spark plugs- one oily plug might point to a vacuum leak under intake port, or possibly worn out camshaft- I had a 396 chevy i got for cheep, had 3 wet cylinders- found those three cyls had near perfectly round cam lobes on intakes,I think high vacuum/no burning was sucking oil in bad...extreme case maybe, as it would barely run until repaired, but if only one cyl on a bigger v-8, the power loss might not be felt. If you do find a wet plug, pull that valve cover, unhook coil, bump starter over to see if rockers moving roughly same amounts.
Old 01-05-2004, 19:55   #7 (permalink)

What was the name of the shop that sold lead additive? Would it be avaliable in WA?

Thanks

azraelder
azraelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 20:48   #8 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

as stated it could be the valve seals worn, do them first, if the problem persist... well at least you have a set of reco head to put on ur fresh bottom end.

to convert to unleaded running... you will need hardned valve seats installed on the heads, as lead has a lubricating quality to it, the unleaded fuels do not.

other then that... thats all you need for unleaded running.

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 22:07   #9 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Re: real lead octane booster

I saw this stuff at either Autozone or Advance(I think...been buying way too many car parts this year...)

Heres a link to a place that sells it over the web- I'm sure theres more: http://www.batterystuff.com/fuel/lea...supreme130.htm
If you try this stuff, be careful with it! I'm pretty sure they'd have to dilute it to sell it, but I remember reading long ago how bad this stuff was.

Can give old pre emissions iron a big octane boost and lubes the exhaust seats...Cant help but wonder how many people have dumped this into a car under 30 years old and and damaged the exhaust/engine...would ruin a O2 sensor or catalytic converter (at least) right away.
Old 01-07-2004, 18:06   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the link. If I manage to get hold of any I'd be putting it in my 75 LTD towncar and my XB falcon. Both of which are designed for leaded petrol. The LTD has never been quite the same since the introduction of LRP. BP 98 is ok but I would like to see how they run with proper leaded petrol

azraelder
azraelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino