Just bought an LTD, any advice? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2004, 22:30   #1 (permalink)

Question Just bought an LTD, any advice?

Hey guys, im new to FORDFORUMS, and i am now the proud owner of a 1995 model dark burgandy LTD with all the goodies (except for sunroof). I havent actually picked the car up yet as its in the workshop in the caryard, to be totally roadworthy. I paid $13,990 with a $3,000 trade in on my old venereble EBII fairmont. Its done 188k, but its in fantastic condition inside and out. I was just wanting to know if any of you guys can give me some advice on a couple of things. When the guy started it, it seemed to struggle to start. Its a 5L V8, and once it started idling, it sounded fine. The guy said that it hadnt been started for a few days and that was why. Does that sound right? Or could the battery be a little down? Also, it drove very smoothly, and had a bit of power but the steering seemed as heavy as my fairmont, maybe heavier. Is that supposed to be like that? Unfortunately i didnt test drive any other LTD's or Fairlanes cause there wasnt any around.
Other than that im really happy with my purchase and i think i got a good deal, considering my fairmont was falling apart and was pushing 300k on the clock. What do you guys think? any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.
sauron_017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2004, 22:38   #2 (permalink)
tony

Re: Just bought an LTD, any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron_017
as heavy as my fairmont, maybe heavier
is your fairmont a 5 litre V8? they do make the steering a touch heavier.. or the power steering pump needs to be looked at..

the starting hiccup could be just the battery. the trip computer and stuff drains em

good luck with the new purchase though, sounds like a nice one :)
Old 12-04-2004, 01:40   #3 (permalink)

nah the fairmont is a standard 4 litre six. Is there a way to make the steering lighter? or is it just how it is?
I am gonna put a new exhaust on it as well to give it a nice V8 sound, is it worth putting extractors on it too? I dont know much about prices
Old 12-04-2004, 16:09   #4 (permalink)
- Fairlane By Tickford -

Nice pickup mate, go the LWB!
My fbt is heavier in steering than my sportsman, and its due to not having SSS (Speed Sensitive Steering) as it was a delete feature on the FBT and didnt come in the ef/nf/df's..
So basically im guessing its meant to be that heavy, you will get used to it fast, i did where as at first i thought the PS pump was dead. LOL

As far as mods, zorst/extractors/underdrive puleys they are your first easiest and have good power to be made.
Then look into maf/heads/roller rockers/camshaft...

Again nice car and hope you enjoy it, pics would be nice
Fairlane By Tickford #4 of 106 - FOR SALE
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:12   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice mate, dont worry, ill get pics as soon as i pick it up!
Going down on wednesday to say goodbye to the trusty fairmont and say HELLO!!! to the big LTD hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino