thinking...zh...rebuild? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2004, 08:40   #1 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

thinking...zh...rebuild?

hey guys, im thinking about re-building the zh.. am i gonna get in too deep!?
I wouldent mind putting a 351 in it or just working the 302c a lil.. and possibly air bagging it!

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Re: thinking...zh...rebuild?

I don't think it's any more crazy than syaing "I want to re-build an XA/XB/XC/Citroen 2CV", and there are plenty of people out there doing that!

If you're talking engines, there's no sense in spending big on a 302 when for around the same sort of costs you can throw a 351 crank and rods in there. I run a 302 that's been around the block a few times, so I'm rebuilding a 351 in my spare time and that'll get dropped in early next year.

In terms of "rebuilding" my ZH, I plan to attack it bit by bit. By the end of it, I expect to have spent a shedload of money on it (over 10 years or so) but I hope I'll be happy with the result and I expect there to be few "better" ZHs than mine around. My long term plans include (in this order, unless something goes wrong):

1. Respray #1.
2. Insert fresh 351.
3. Sort out suspension and steering gear.
4. Do up interior.
5. Gearbox/diff recondition or replacement.
6. Back to bare metal to cut out rust professionally and respray #2.
7. Anything else.

Parts 1-4 should take me up to the middle of next year. Part 5 will be as and when needed (not yet). Part 6 is a few years down the track, I hope.

So I suppose you could say I'm rebuilding my ZH. Just very slowly, and I'm going to enjoy and drive the car while it gets rebuilt...

PS - you only need to go as deep as you want to. When I bought my car, I didn't think I'd end up doing too much to it. I have adjusted my previously poor attitude, and I guess that will define how "deep" you want to go. Just remember to keep a tab on the costs so you don't go nuts. And do as much of the work yourself as you can - that'll save you heaps and then you can spend more money on something else. Not sure about airbags, though!

Last edited by Neeek; 12-02-2004 at 14:08. Reason: Added PS
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 16:56   #3 (permalink)

Maybe I should question restoring 3 x P6 LTD's and 1 x ZH Marquis (on top of Cobra, Landau and GT?????????).
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 18:54   #4 (permalink)

If you are going to bother working the engine I would go at least a 351.Decent suspension definately makes a difference, air bags would make it stand out heaps though.
micksmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino