Upgrading 302 to 349 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 23:41   #1 (permalink)

confused Upgrading 302 to 349

Hi everyone, I have a 1971 For Torino 500 and i was wondering what do i need to do to make my 302 to a 349, Piston size, crank, etc....

And the other question is:

How rare is my Torino? Its a 500 FOUR DOOR, i've been looking online for one like mine, but i can't find one. Not too long ago I was putting gas on it and a guy walked up to me and told me it was rare to see one like that in a an excellent shape like mine, I blushed

Anyways, thank you for stopping by
71torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 16:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Upgrading 302 to 349

I think you mean 347? its easy as nearly everyone make stroker kits for them now I used the scat packadge with new crank rods and pistons for about 1200 bux australian. but this is for a winsdor do you have a windsor or a cleveland block?
ZCFairlaneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 19:35   #3 (permalink)

Its a windsor, and yeah i ment a 347, i had a type-o there
71torino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:40   #4 (permalink)

i have a 71 four door. personally i like the four door better. because you better have some good lines to get a ladyfriend to jump over a seat.
Trumpy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 18:33   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71torino
Hi everyone, I have a 1971 For Torino 500 and i was wondering what do i need to do to make my 302 to a 349, Piston size, crank, etc....

And the other question is:

How rare is my Torino? Its a 500 FOUR DOOR, i've been looking online for one like mine, but i can't find one. Not too long ago I was putting gas on it and a guy walked up to me and told me it was rare to see one like that in a an excellent shape like mine, I blushed

Anyways, thank you for stopping by

Personally I wouldn't go bigger than the "327" with a 3.25 crankshaft. I've yet to see 3.4 stroke engine last longer than 10,000 miles.

If I wanted bigger I'd start with a 351 W.

Just my opinion from experience.
Nottooold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 16:23   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottooold
Personally I wouldn't go bigger than the "327" with a 3.25 crankshaft. I've yet to see 3.4 stroke engine last longer than 10,000 miles.

If I wanted bigger I'd start with a 351 W. .
That may have been true with some of the early cheap kits, but these days the 347 is common. Stick with quality pistons and there are no real issues....

The real issue is the weight of the 71 Torino. Even with 347 or 351 cubes, you are at a handicap. Since they came factory with a 429, that is one of the easiest 460 conversion platforms out there. Low 12s/high 11s is fairly easy NA with a mild build. Hooker headers are reasonable and performance parts are plentiful. If you want to stick to a smallblock, them stroking a 351 is a better performance choice. It isn't going to cost much more to build a 392(3)(6) vs a 347 and you will get a pile more of the torque that you need.

You don't see many of that body on the road any more and less people are building 4 doors. 4 doors get attention because most people don't think performance when they see 4 doors.
Mercracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino