What makes a Fairlane? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Fairlane | Torino Discussion area for Fanatics of the Classic Ford Fairlane and Torino Lines.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 04:57   #1 (permalink)
New to the Ford Game

What makes a Fairlane?

Hi guys,
I'm not too flash on my Ford knowledge at the moment. I would just like to know, apart from the obvious shape and panel differences, what makes a Fairlane different from a Falcon or Fairmont? Is it all the extra options? Is it the same sort of way Holden has Commodores / Berlinas / Vacationers /SLEs / Calais etc? I am mainly interested in the comparisons between the early Falcons, XR/XT etc, and the early Fairlanes, ZA/ZB etc.

Cheers
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2004, 17:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: What makes a Fairlane?

The Falcon is the base model although avaliable in various options. The Fairmont is the optioned up falcon but uses the same body shell. The Fairlane has a longer body shell plus extras. The LTD was originally even longer than the Fairlane but now I think it shares the same platform now. I hope this helps.

azraelder
azraelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 22:14   #3 (permalink)
eon
Grumpy Old Fart

The longer wheelbase of the Fairlane is noticeable by the distance from the rear door opening to the rear wheel arch as they have Falcon doors. Earlier Fairlanes still had bench seats.
The current models are very hard to pick as they utilise the Falcon headlights and tail lights, although the rear number plate has been moved to the bumper bar.
Some web sites are:
http://mang02.freeyellow.com/Fairlane/ozZH.htm
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/%7Efult...e_heritage.htm
http://ltd.4mg.com/index.htm
http://www.grandtourer.com.au/public...asp?EntityID=6
eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:15   #4 (permalink)
New to the Ford Game

Thanks for the response guys, I'm now a bit wiser. I must say I prefer the early fairlanes up to the ZC/ZD, but those equivalents to the XCs (ZHs I believe),look like they're out of a Dirty Harry movie!

Thanks EON for the links, in particular the last one as I stumbled upon a parts page which I'm sure will prove very useful. I just wish we had your resources over here in NZ.

Thanks again,
Old 01-09-2004, 04:19   #5 (permalink)
eon
Grumpy Old Fart

So, you don't like the ZH?
Then as Dirty Harry might say, this will make your day.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZH Sportsman.jpg (38.6 KB, 35 views)
eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:58   #6 (permalink)
New to the Ford Game

They're not what I'm into EON, but I can appreciate a mint car when I see one. Very nice example. I think I've only ever seen one or two ZHs on my travels.

Wish my car looked that good,
Old 01-29-2004, 04:45   #7 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

When the Australian Fairlane was released in 1967, the major difference between it and the Fairmont it was based on was 4" extra into the wheelbase, stretching it from 111" to 116". This extra length was incoperated into the car behind the rear doors, adding extra room into the cabin.

There was also a few major stying differences. These included quad 5 1/2" headlights and grille ILO twin 7", unique rear quarter panels with a thicker dog leg to accomodate the extra length. The rear of the quarter panels were also changed to incude a unique set of tail lights with a matching boot lid.

The interior was also different with unique seat covering (still vinyl) and a different instrument cluster which had a strip speedo instead of the Falcon / Fairmont round dials.

The Fairlane was released in two models, the Fairlane 500, which was aimed at the private buyer with bucket seats and V8 engine and automatic transmission standard, and the budget Fairlane Custom with TQE (tm) power, 3 speed manual (column shift) and a bench seat. The Fairlane Custom was aimed at the fleet / taxi market.

One of the standout models of the early Fairlane (ZA - ZD) was the early ZC Fairlane 500 with the optional 290 HP Windsor 351 (straight from the XW Falcon GT). This model was also available with a 4 speed Manual (Top Loader) transmission from the factory. A very rare car if you can find an original one today. Once the Cleveland landed in the later ZC Fairlanes (1970), they were the less powerful 351 2 barrel with only 250 HP.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****

Last edited by smciner1; 01-29-2004 at 04:47.
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Fairlane | Torino