Little or no spark - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Maverick | Comet
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Maverick | Comet Ford Maverick / Mercury Comet discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2007, 02:58   #1 (permalink)

Little or no spark

I just completed a complete 289 engine rebuild on a 1967 comet capri. I did some modifications, .030 bore, crank ground, rebuilt heads, 4 barrel intake, headers, and an MDS coil. When I first turned the engine over for the first time I had lots of spark. The timming was out 180 so I disconectes the coil wires, and pulled the distributor to corrected it. When I turned the engine over there was no spark. Since then I have replaced the coil with a stock coil, points and condenser. Still no spark. I tested my ignition wire, it is at 12 volts on the positive side of the coil. I also have 12 volts at the negative post of the coil. There is also 12 volts at the wire that connects to the points. I have checked the grounds to the block and firewall, they are fine. Now I seem to have a very weak spark sometimes and no spark other times. I have started to pull what little hair I have left so any help would be greatly appreciated. One other thing I'm worried about is I've turned the engine over for a total of about 4 or 5 minutes trying to fix this problem, my concern is my cam and lifter break in, am I still ok? HELP!!!
67comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 14:55   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Little or no spark

As far as spark goes, you've checked everything I would have. I would probably double check everything again. Are you positive the points are adjusted correctly? Is the spark weak coming from the coil to the dist? Or is it good there and weak at the plugs? It's possible to get bad parts even though they are new.
I wouldn't think just cranking the car would hurt the break in, especially if everything was pre lubed before assembly.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 19:47   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Fonz, I did as you said. I was so frustrated I removed every wire in the engine cavity and emeried each connection, plug and ground then cleaned them with carb cleaner, reconnected them all. Still no spark. So then I took your advise and started testing everything starting with the ignition wire to the coil, had 12 before??? So I ran a wire from the battery, turned it over and purred like a kitten ( more like a lion, open headers :D ). So now I will trace the ignition wire and find the fault. Thanks again for the help. PS Next week Exhaust the following week paint. Yahoo!!
Old 01-02-2007, 19:48   #4 (permalink)

Whoops missed telling you after cleaning everthing I had 6 volts at the coil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Maverick | Comet