1960 Galaxie - Ranchero? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 20:07   #1 (permalink)

1960 Galaxie - Ranchero?

Hi My name is Paul
I am a Ranchero owner and a memeber of The National Falcon club as well as the editor of my local chapter. I am researching a story and it has crossed paths with the Galaxie. So I am posting here in hopes some Galaxie owners have heard about it.

Here is the quote I read from the book "Ford Ranchero: 1957-1979 A Photo History"
Author James C. Mays
Chapter 2: 1960-1965 specifically under the heading 1960
With no sedan pickup of any kind in the stable, Ford's Sedan Delivery was offered on the full sized passenger car body. Canadians could order a Meteor Sedan Delivery. Before the downsized Rancheros were finally available for market, a good sized order for Rancheros was received from a large power company in the Pacific Northwest. Rather than lose out to Chevrolet, Ford reached into the 1959 parts bin and cobbled together a number of fullsized 1960 Rancheros based on the 1960 Galaxie body.

So do any of you guys know of a 1960 Galaxie Body Ranchero? The quote implies a majority were sold to a power company in the Pacific North west (PG&E maybe?) So it possibly came in that really puke tan color they used in the 60's!

Any information would be appreciated..
crazygutgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 10:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1960 Galaxie - Ranchero?

I did see a 60 Galaxie Ranchero at the swap meet in Sept. of this year for sale. The owner was not with the car when I seen it, I thought that some one had built it, but I do not know if this is one of the ones your book is talking about. It was red and was a nice car.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:25   #3 (permalink)

WOW, you are the first one..
and it is in oregon, which makes sense since the order for the cars was for a "pacific northwest" power company...leads me to belive it is an American car and Not canadian, which others are telling me.. any more info? like which swap meet or anything like that?? Was it sold as a "galaxie Ranchero" or did it have another name...
Old 12-06-2006, 12:37   #4 (permalink)

I do not know if it sold, but it was at the High Desert swap meet in Redmond Or. The swap meet is held in Sept. each year. I my know someone in the Bend area that may know about this car, I will try to get a hold of him to see if it is indeed one of these that you are looking for.
Old 12-06-2006, 13:23   #5 (permalink)

I have gotten further information from the president of thr Ranchero Enthusiasts club. He sent me a 10 year old article, that confirms the quote from the book, he hasnt given me permission to repost it yet, but I can say there was aconfirmation of a power worker who had one in Washington State, he claimed most were bare bone models except for a handfull made for the supervisors. The estimate was 500

Here is and image I was sent
Old 12-07-2006, 15:18   #6 (permalink)

Bertha66,
Was the car in the car show section? or was it in the for sale section, I was trying to find contacts for the swap meet and noticed that there were several people...
Old 12-07-2006, 19:14   #7 (permalink)

Bertha66,
I got some feedback from Butch who runs the swap meet, he doesnt have any recollection of the car, I think this is the best lead I have so far, so if you or any one you know who might have a photo of the car, or any info I would appreciate it.

Buy the way What power company does that area? or what power company was in that area in the 60's??

thanks for your help!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:37   #8 (permalink)

The Power co. up here is Pacific Power. The car was not in the show section but in the swap meet area. But after looking at your picture, I'm thinking it myhave been a 61, not sure.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:12   #9 (permalink)

61 Falcon Ranchero

Did it look like this?
Old 12-09-2006, 18:44   #10 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hi, interesting regarding 1960 Full Size Ford Ranchero. I had never heard of one, so no doubt they were not built in Canada. The picture on your post is definitely a 1960 body style of the full size Ford. Now if you were going to find production numbers, these vehicles come under truck production, not cars. So you might find the production numbers in some of the books on Ford trucks. This 60 body style could be quite similiar to the Australian Ute. One suggestion is get hold of the director of the Galaxie club of America, he might have some info on them as he use to live in NW Washington State.
The Ford Galaxie Club of America...Welcomes You! -The Ford Galaxie Club of America is an association of owners dedicated to the restoration, preservation and enjoyment of the Galaxie passenger automobiles built by the Ford Motor Company from the years 1959 through 1974. The main goal of the Ford Galaxie Club of America is to unite 1959 to 1974 Galaxie owners the world over; and to preserve the name Galaxie and its association as one of the first muscle cars of the 60?s in perpetuity.
Note: I didn't write up the last paragraph re galaxie club, I typed in the email address for the director and all this other stuff comes up automatically.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie