1966 Galaxie Chassis Compatabililty ? ? ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2005, 04:15   #1 (permalink)

1966 Galaxie Chassis Compatabililty ? ? ?

I have found a really cheap 66 Australian sedan which I would like to use all the RHD parts for when purchase my Coupe from the USA

My question is...

Are the chassis for the Sedan and Coupe the same ???

(i.e. can i start the resto on the frame and justy import a Coupe shell and doors???)
EFGTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 04:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1966 Galaxie Chassis Compatabililty ? ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGTHO
I have found a really cheap 66 Australian sedan which I would like to use all the RHD parts for when purchase my Coupe from the USA

My question is...

Are the chassis for the Sedan and Coupe the same ???

(i.e. can i start the resto on the frame and justy import a Coupe shell and doors???)
Have you considered leaving your car Left Hand Drive when you get it?? You know you can Register Cars such as a 1966 Galaxie in Victoria that are Left Hand Drive? The American Dash's are much nicer than the Australian ones. The OZ Dashs look similar to a ZA Fairlane Dash or something and they are'nt as nice as the Yanky ones IMO.I believe it would be much cheaper for you to bring a complete car over here than bringing over a Shell and Doors and probably more vulnerable to damage not being on wheels and having to be forked around all the time and everything on the way over.I have heard many people say that Australian Galaxie Chassis are stronger than the American ones and that the Engines sit in them with differant Offsets? I have also heard many people say that the Chassis are the same besides these differances? But I cannot guarantee it? My advice is to seriously consider keeping it Left Hooker as it will save you alot of time and money,therefore getting it on the Road alot quicker with a less common and much nicer Dash. Or if you are compelled to convert it,then bring a complete car over here,then use the OZ Chassis when it gets here.Plus IMO you should try and convert the Yankie Dash if you can afford the Funds...If not,then shortcut and just do what nearly everyone else does and slap the OZ Dash in it !!
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:14   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeh
Have you considered leaving your car Left Hand Drive when you get it??
Not Really... too freaky

Quote:
You know you can Register Cars such as a 1966 Galaxie in Victoria that are Left Hand Drive?
Yep I did know that any car older the 30 yrs I believe...

Quote:
The American Dash's are much nicer than the Australian ones. The OZ Dashs look similar to a ZA Fairlane Dash or something and they are'nt as nice as the Yanky ones IMO.
Dash is irelevant really.... going for the NASCAR LOOK (see Below)

Quote:
I believe it would be much cheaper for you to bring a complete car over here than bringing over a Shell and Doors and probably more vulnerable to damage not being on wheels and having to be forked around all the time and everything on the way over..
I meant a rolling shell something that maybe needed new qtrs...
A few other parts, panels, n stuff ...motors gearboxs....
My wife is from San Fran, CA... the USA is a 2nd home for us

Quote:
I have heard many people say that Australian Galaxie Chassis are stronger than the American ones and that the Engines sit in them with differant Offsets?
I've heard a lot of USA galaxies rust chassis' from the inside - out...
this AUST one looks really good :)

Quote:
I have also heard many people say that the Chassis are the same besides these differances? But I cannot guarantee it?
Who can guarantee it then? C'mon fellas dont be shy!

Quote:
My advice is to seriously consider keeping it Left Hooker as it will save you alot of time and money,therefore getting it on the Road alot quicker with a less common and much nicer Dash.
Duely noted... But this is a Project car... not looking to get it on the road quickly

Quote:
Or if you are compelled to convert it,then bring a complete car over here,then use the OZ Chassis when it gets here.Plus IMO you should try and convert the Yankie Dash if you can afford the Funds...If not,then shortcut and just do what nearly everyone else does and slap the OZ Dash in it !!
like i said before ... irelevant really
(Speedo, Tacho, and warning lights... all in a fabricated dash)
BOTTOM PIC
http://www.galaxieclub.com/internati.../lorenzen.html

Junior Johnson's Highly modified "BANANA CAR"
http://www.racetorations.com/banana.jpg

15degrees drop at the front and 15degrees raised
at the rear... for better aero dynamics 8)

Raced ONCE at the Dixie500, Atlanta Motor Speedway....
then asked by NASCAR not to be raced again.

Undergoing restoration/replication ?
http://okeefe.home.mindspring.com/vi...er_fnt_300.jpg
Old 04-21-2005, 05:38   #4 (permalink)

Dont bother guys

found this on the NET

http://www.lovefords.org/tech/65_frame.htm

THANX
Old 04-21-2005, 06:10   #5 (permalink)

That Site is a good refferance for you.I did'nt know that you were going to build a Nascar inspired Galaxie.If you are going to use Custom Guages...then you will be better off with the OZ Dash then afterall IMO.That Banana Car is hillarious and has had extensive butchering !! Fred Lorenzen's 1965 Galaxie 500 Bowtie Buster is well done and probably a wiser point of refferance for your project?? Goodluck !!
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie