64 Ford Galaxie 500XL Trans Cooler lines - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 10:42   #1 (permalink)

confused 64 Ford Galaxie 500XL Trans Cooler lines

I've been in search of transmission cooler lines for my 1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL Convertible. It has a 4.7L 289CI motor in it and the connections for the radiator are on the lower section of the radiator. I tried DearbornClassics.com however they only have the lines for the big blocks that have a 352 or bigger (that have the connections on the side of the radiator).

Does anyone possibly know where I could find the appropriate lines for my car?

Thanks,
Steve
JimmyJamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 13:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: 64 Ford Galaxie 500XL Trans Cooler lines

Why is there a 289 in a car that NEEDS a 352 ? So get yourself a tubing bender and
bend your own pipe. You will NOT get the appropriate lines for your car. it was not made
for a 289. I'm surprised a 289 will move that car as it should from the factory. that car
weighs close to 4000 lbs. if not more.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 14:04   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Why is there a 289 in a car that NEEDS a 352 ? So get yourself a tubing bender and
bend your own pipe. You will NOT get the appropriate lines for your car. it was not made
for a 289. I'm surprised a 289 will move that car as it should from the factory. that car
The 289 came original to the car and has 27,000 original miles on it. I'm keeping everything original hence why I haven't put a 352 in the car but thanks for your input. I've been trying to avoid bending the lines myself due to available time.

If anyone has any information it's greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2011, 14:22   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
I'm pretty sure the 64XL came with the 289, 352 and 390 options. It is odd they offered a 289.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 19:03   #5 (permalink)

My 1964 Kelly Blue Book shows the 500 XL came with the 289 (195 Gross HP).
I had a 1964 Galaxie 500 4Dr. with the 289 and I was happy with the performance. It seemed adequate.
Shipping weight for an XL Convert was 3787 Lbs.
NoLeaks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 19:44   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJamz View Post
I've been in search of transmission cooler lines for my 1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL Convertible. It has a 4.7L 289CI motor in it and the connections for the radiator are on the lower section of the radiator. I tried DearbornClassics.com however they only have the lines for the big blocks that have a 352 or bigger (that have the connections on the side of the radiator).

Does anyone possibly know where I could find the appropriate lines for my car?

Thanks,
Steve
Hello and good day Steve:

Try these links: transmission line items - Get great deals on Parts Accessories, transmission cooler items on eBay Motors!

The Ford Galaxie Club of America - Member Classified Ads - Find your 1964 Rear Bumper HERE - Galaxie Cars for Sale, Galaxie Parts For Sale, Galaxie Services, Galaxie Show Chrome Bumpers for sale, Refinished Galaxie Anodized Aluminum for Sale

Classic Car Classifieds at rod and custom magazine

1964 Ford Galaxie

The 1964 Galaxie was described by Ford as "a car bred in open competition and built for total performance". For 1964, there were 16 models to choose from to include different varieties of sedans, hardtops, convertibles, and wagons. This Galaxie carried much the same lines as the 1963 with new distinctive styling through new trim moldings, grill and rear panel design, and all new interior trim styling. Ford offered the Galaxie 500 in the sedan, hardtop and convertible body styles. The Galaxie 500XL was offered in the sedan, hardtop, and convertible as well. The 500XL was the deluxe model with standard plush vinyl bucket seats with console, special XL trim moldings and ornamentation and standard equipment V-8 engine., and full wheel covers. 1964 was another year of awesome performance with six different engine choices. The most notable was the Thunderbird 390 V-8 engine at 300 horsepower, and two versions of the all powerful 427 power plant. Both a four barrel and dual carburetor version were offered at 410, and 425 horsepower respectively. For transmissions, Ford offered much the same as 1963. The four speed was standard euipment on 427 engine sizes and optional equipment on 390. Ford discontinued the 406 engine for 1964 which was now replaced by the 427. Ford also built a number of 427 Fiberglass race equipped Galaxies for 1964. Many consider the 1964 the most attractive Galaxie ever built. The 1964 Fords are also legendary for their racing history as many of the factory lightweight cars were used by the Ford Motor Company extensively on the race track. This racing experience gave these cars instant popularity that continues to the current day.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:14   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I think its going to be next to impossible finding new OEM tranny lines. I've looked everywhere I could think of with no luck.

You might try the center link Sterling Six posted above or doing a google search for a Galaxie only forum.

I'm sorry I couldn't be much help.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:08   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Found a 1964 Ford Performance Car brochure if your interested.

1964 Ford Performance Cars
Old 02-01-2011, 16:14   #9 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for the information. I'm currently waiting upon a response from one company that things look hopeful. But if it doesn't prevail I'll be bending them myself.

Thanks again
Old 02-08-2011, 10:06   #10 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hello: If I needed transmission cooler lines replaced, I would try the local auto transmission shops. I'm sure they must replace a lot of lines if there are any good
service people in those shops. If I was in the auto tranny business, I would make sure
I had the tools and tubing for line replacement. Get a quote first and don't let them rip you off. They can use the old lines for a pattern to get the right bends.
If you can take the lines off yourself all the better. Take them in and get the new ones made up. Good luck.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie

« Cookie | Wheel Swap »