64 Galaxie questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 19:42   #1 (permalink)

64 Galaxie questions

I found a 64 Galaxie in New Jersey last month and its in my garage mostly apart and I have a few questions. I pulled what I think is a 390 out of it; at least that's what the fender flags say it is, but while underneath the car inspecting everything I noticed the gas line ran from the tank to the engine bay on the passenger side.

So I checked the door vin and sure enough it shows that it started life as a Six with three on the tree. My questions are as follows. Did all Galaxies come with 9" rear ends? Are there any possible issues with the motor mounts? I see that who ever put the V-8 in redrilled the welded the mounts that are on the cross tube.

Any info you can share would be helpful. I really want to get this baby back up and running by spring.
Ranger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2005, 21:09   #2 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Re: 64 Galaxie questions

As to my knowledge all Full Size Fords of the 1960's had 9" rear ends. Standard rear ends had only two spider gears and 28 spline axels. Station wagons, Convertibles and cars with high performance had 31 spline axels and slightly larger wheel bearings with 4 spider gear rear ends. As to motor mounts, whoever changed it over may have had a pro mechanic do the job so it would be same as factory. Could have taken a pattern off another car. Should be no big deal if you have to replace the motor mounts.
I would not go by the fender flags to say it is a 390. Best way to check is to take out the #1 sparkplug, turn crankshaft so #1 piston is at BDC. take a measuring tape that fits in the sparkpug hole and bottom it on top of the piston, take a reference point on the tape to some point on the block or use a straight edge rested on the outside of the cyl head. Now turn the crankshaft so #1 piston is at TDC, using same reference point, measure distance again. If the difference between TDC and BDC is approximately 3.78 or 3-3/4" you have a 390. If its only 3.5 or 3-1/2" you have a 352 or a 360 cu. in. motor. 360's were used in pickup trucks. Hope this is of some help.
I might also mention if the front end looks a little low or sagging, the front springs were not likely changed, because when you go from a six cyl to a V8 you should change the front springs account those big blocks are heavier. There were several different spring rates too as more options were added, like power steering, power brakes and air conditioning & high performance.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:09   #3 (permalink)

Im going to hijack this thread a little haha.
Im in Australia, and i have a 1966 Galaxie. Now it currently has a 302w in it, but it originally had a 390 in it i assume because of the side badging saying so.
Now it has a 9" in it and i havent checked to see what 9" or anything, but what is it likely to have, a 28 spline or a 31 spline. Also what other goodies could it have?
Thanks
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 18:43   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Butchart. I will go and measure tomorrow when I am working on it with my friends.
Old 01-10-2005, 21:11   #5 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCaRnAgEr
Im going to hijack this thread a little haha.
Im in Australia, and i have a 1966 Galaxie. Now it currently has a 302w in it, but it originally had a 390 in it i assume because of the side badging saying so.
Now it has a 9" in it and i havent checked to see what 9" or anything, but what is it likely to have, a 28 spline or a 31 spline. Also what other goodies could it have?
Thanks
If it was an original run of the mill production galaxie with 390 I would bet it has 28 spline axles. You would have to read the serial plate codes and it might have the type of axle on it. Was the car built in Australia, Canada or the US.
Old 01-11-2005, 14:42   #6 (permalink)

Im guessing it was built in australia, the ID plates are just a bunch of codes and numbers, no idea what is what.
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 15:08   #7 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Auscar-
Ive got a 65 factory service manual- if you can read the numbers off the axle tag I might be able to help- unless Australian built cars used different coding...
Old 01-11-2005, 18:04   #8 (permalink)

Well after measuring it is a 390. Also, the front end was sagging a bit with the engine in. So I guess i will be getting new springs for it as well.
Old 01-12-2005, 22:33   #9 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Glad to hear its a 390 motor you have. As far as new coil springs go, they should not be too difficult to find. I rebuilt the whole front end on my 63 Galaxie, from upper control arms, bushings, upper and lower ball joints, then a couple years later added new coils. The is not too tough of a job if you have some good mechanical skills, shop manual and tools, otherwise take it to someone who knows front ends, preferably an older mechanic or front end man who has worked on these old cars.
See ya later, on holidays for couple weeks.
Old 01-13-2005, 18:12   #10 (permalink)

Ohh I dont think I will have a problem rebuilding the Front End on this thing. :)

Have a good holiday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie