Distributor question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 13:11   #1 (permalink)

Distributor question

I have just put a new distributor in my 66 Galaxie 390 engine. After the engine has been running for a few minutes and I go to set the timing, the distributor is impossible to turn. Have I done something wrong or is that normal for a new distributor? Is there supposed to be a rubber piece on the engine that the distributor fits into to help it turn more easily?

MP
mpatilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 16:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Distributor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatilla
I have just put a new distributor in my 66 Galaxie 390 engine. After the engine has been running for a few minutes and I go to set the timing, the distributor is impossible to turn. Have I done something wrong or is that normal for a new distributor? Is there supposed to be a rubber piece on the engine that the distributor fits into to help it turn more easily?

MP
More information required , does it turn ok when the motor is stopped/cold , did you remember to losen the securing clamp ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 18:13   #3 (permalink)

Re: Distributor question

Thanks for your reply. When I first installed the distributor, it turned just fine, but the round piece that is surrounded by the O-ring is sitting on top of the engine. After it runs a while, the distributor seems to have been pulled down so that the round part that is surrounded by the O-ring is flush with the engine. Then I did loosen the securing clamp and was unable to turn the distributor to set the timing. It was extremely tight and I couldn't move it at all. I used a bar to pry it so that I could turn it, and then I just pulled it out.

Then I seated it back down in there again. It could turn really easily until I ran the engine for several minutes, then was tight again.

The engine did seem to run really well, except for being unable to accurately set the timing.

MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
More information required , does it turn ok when the motor is stopped/cold , did you remember to losen the securing clamp ?
mpatilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie