Drum brake rebuild questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:59   #1 (permalink)

Drum brake rebuild questions

So, I'm needing to redo my brakes entirely. As in, most of the system will need replaced. So, my question is, can somebody give me a parts list for what I need for four-wheel manual drums?
67galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 09:07   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Drum brake rebuild questions

Better to check out first . Check condition of drums , wheel cyls , shoes , springs , cables , pipes and hoses , master cyl .Then you can shop about on prices .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:33   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Better to check out first . Check condition of drums , wheel cyls , shoes , springs , cables , pipes and hoses , master cyl .Then you can shop about on prices .
I would do that, but the brakes are currently gone, no pressure or bite whatsoever. When I bought it, I took a drive in the thing sans brakes with only working the clutch to slow down. Scared the crap out of the guy, nearly gave the guy a heart attack! Plus, I can't jack it up until I get a good frame, hahaha
67galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 15:02   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

It sounds like there is no fluid in the system so it probably has leaking wheel cylinders or/and master cylinder or perhaps a leak in the lines somewhere.

You will need to check the flexible hoses that go to the wheeel cylinders are not leaking and check that the steel lines are not rusted and perhaps have hole in them.

If the lines are ok then chances are to do them up you will need four wheel cylinders and brake shoes and a master cylinder. The wheel cylinders and master cylinder can be re kitted if they are in good enough shape but I guess it depends on your budget. New cylinders would be best.

The drums will need to be checked for excessive wear but the chances are you will be able to re use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie

Related Reading: Drum brake rebuild questions