Engine Advice for 64 Convertible, use stock 352 or 390 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 10:48   #1 (permalink)

Engine Advice for 64 Convertible, use stock 352 or 390

This car has a lot of work done already, was my fathers and he did the interior, not original but he didn't overdo, has nice cloth seats and new carpet, new top, everything is nice quality.

Anyway, my plan is not really to keep all the numbers matching but I'd like to stay period correct with the engine & not butcher up the motor mounts, so I want something that will bolt right in. The original engine needs replaced due to a bore being pitted but I do have all the parts. I really want to just buy a professionally rebuilt engine but 352's are harder to find than 390's. I have found 1 352 from a 58 Edsel that is brand new rebuilt from what appears to be a wrecking outfit that rebuilts a lot of older ford engines, probably around $1400 shipped. If I get a 390 I know it needs to be 67 or older to fit & still be one of the higher HP 390's. I have found a website that sells the LB '65 390 for $1325+shipping & core, but I won't likely be sending the core in for $250 so $1575+freight, this is from a nice looking professional engine rebuilder.

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for ideas on which engine would be best, should I stay w/ a 352? I wouldn't mind having the extra about 80HP I'd get with a '65 390 vs a 64 352.

Anybody have recommendations on where to buy a good 352 or 390 LB or SB. I'm looking for value more than performance.
df0rster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 12:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engine Advice for 64 Convertible, use stock 352 or 390

You can have the 352 built into a 390. Have you thought about looking at a local engine builder in your area? I would go with a 390 anyway, the 352 was a good engine, but a little more HP is allways good. I do think that any 390, even up into the 70's will fit into the 64, it is just that putting a 65 and older into the newer than 65 is a problem.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie