Engine identification help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2005, 13:32   #1 (permalink)
nosoup4u

Engine identification help

I am looking at buying a vintage Ford tractor (farm tractor not semi tractor). It has been converted some years ago from its original six banger to a Ford V8. I have no idea how to begin to identify what engine it is. The owner says that someone once told him it is a 352. Is that a reall Ford engine? Probably from the 1960s. Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.
nosoup4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2005, 23:02   #2 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Re: Engine identification help

The 352 was used in Ford cars and light trucks, never heard of it being used as a tractor motor. Some may have been used for Fork lift, utility vehicles and other industrial uses. It was originally manufactured in 1958 and used up to 1966 in cars and 1967 in light trucks. The original block started out as a 332, then 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427 and 428 cubic in blocks. Different bore and stroke combinations were used to obtain more cube size. Minor casting changes were made for the bigger cubes for high performance & racing etc, but the block retained its basic design. These engine blocks were refered to as the FE block (Ford Engineering) One way to tell if its the FE series the sides of the intake manifold appear as part of the head.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:50   #3 (permalink)
nosoup4u

After thinking about it a little more, it occured to me that the exhaust manifolds have their outlet upward. This leads me to believe that the engine wasn't something taken out of a car but was as you suggest designed for a fork lift or some other industrial or ag application such as running an irrigiation pump. When I'll try to post a photo somewhere that I can show you.
nosoup4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:51   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup4u
After thinking about it a little more, it occured to me that the exhaust manifolds have their outlet upward. This leads me to believe that the engine wasn't something taken out of a car but was as you suggest designed for a fork lift or some other industrial or ag application such as running an irrigiation pump. When I'll try to post a photo somewhere that I can show you.
Being that it's a industrial engine it maybe a FT engine. The FT engines look like a FE with some changes. But as you say the manifolds are turned up, could it be a Y block?
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie