Engine Swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2005, 10:16   #1 (permalink)

Engine Swap

I know this is probably heretical in here, so I apologize in advance, but . . .
Has anyone done/know of a succesful modular engine swap/transplant?
I would think that it would fit without having to fabricate a front end clip, but I really have no clue.
WHY??You ask. No, that's not the reason.
I had a modular 2v motor custom built (forged/custom cams) specifically to power my crownvic for the next 4 years. See my sig. My plan in 4 years was to pull the engine, re-cam the heads for high-rev, and put it into something lightweight for fun. It would have to be a cobra kit-car (nice but expensive) or a gutted new mustang (ugh, but the likely alternative). Re-creating my 67 would be fun, but you got to cut the towers etc etc.

BUT, I saw a couple really really nice Galaxies from a distance the other day . . . and I had an uncles who had a couple . . . and I thought HEY, the modular engine is already set up to power a big heavy brute, so I wouldn't need new cams and a P-51 intake. Plus, the 4R70W tranny and converter are already modified and set up for the big car too . . .the whole wiring harness, PCU, etc etc could probably lift right over from the vic to a galaxie . . . Custom motor mounts, modify a tranny mount, custom driveshaft . . .

I'd have four years to restore and prep the car . . . Feel free to tell me it's idiotic, I can take it.

Current: 2000 Crown Victoria PI
4.6 SOHC, Cobra Crank, Manley Rods, Custom coated CP Pistons 10.5:1 comp w/valve reliefs, PnP npi heads, Crower Cams, 70mm TB, Maurader Intake Assembly w/80mmMAF, FRPP shortys, custom 2.25 dual exh, SCT
BricVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2005, 17:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engine Swap

Sounds like a beautiful idea!! Just something to remember: The Modular 4.6 is physically bigger than a 460.

I'm almost positive it would fit, though. I'd say go with a 1963 Galaxie- those were among the better-built years. Just make sure it has the fastback- they're sessy.

Definitely keep us updated.

You could likely get away with a custom K-member set-up (aftermarket Mustang could likely be modified to fit) and stock 4.6 motor mounts. Custom transmission crossmember is not necessarily required... you might could use the one from the Vic and have it modified to bolt to the Galaxie frame. Custom driveshaft is a guarantee.

Check out www.windsor-fox.com and maybe they have something for you... they mainly do EFI 302 into old Mustangs, though. Hey- what could it hurt?

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 23:04   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, the idea seems good . . . but I can't find any real-world examples, so that bothers me a little.
Other than a reference in a caption in a Mustang&Ford Article that a 4.6 or 5.4 would fit, my searches are coming up empty. Found a picture of a 63 1/2 with a 427 sohc in it . . . MAN that looks tight. I can't figure out how to just post a copy of the picture, so here's the link:
http://mustangandfords.com/featuredv...8_63_galaxies/

4.6 SOHC, Cobra Crank, Manley Rods, Custom coated CP Pistons 10.5:1 comp w/valve reliefs, PnP npi heads, Crower Cams, 70mm TB, Maurader Intake Assembly w/80mmMAF, FRPP shortys, custom 2.25 dual exh, SCT
Old 10-16-2005, 06:45   #4 (permalink)

The SOHC 427 was a stock option and is physically larger than the 4.6. The reason the 4.6 is bigger than the 429/460 is because it's SOHC while the other two are block cams.

That SOHC 427 is a freaking beast- they called it the Cammer for a reason. Find the body you want (I'm partial to 1964 because that's the first car I had as a project) and measure the distance between the framerails where the transmission crossmember would sit. Measure the crossmember on your Vic and I doubt they'll be that different. If anything, when you build the "shelf" for the Xmember, just build it a little wider to take the stock Vic Xmember.

From there, you can either get a Mustang K-member modified or I'm sure you can have someone build a crossmember that runs between your framerails in the engine compartment that will fit a 4.6 and use stock motor mounts. That's what a friend and I are doing to fit an EFI 302 into a 1979 Triumph TR-7.

If you can't find any real-world examples, that means you'll be the first and you get the front page of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. Now, get to it!

My Garage
Old 10-16-2005, 08:34   #5 (permalink)

I was JUST about to try to find external measurements on that 427 SOHC ! Thanks for that heads up. I watched one built by a guy who taught me alot in the late-70s, and I had been thinking that the modular seemed physically similar to how I remembered the ohc motor looking on a stand (re: wide wide wide on top). I was trying to compare it in my mind last night to what the mod motor looked like while I was crateing it up to ship to my builder. I followed you about the mod motor having external dimensions bigger in places than a big-block, but when I saw that 427cammer I started worrying about headers, steering, etc. That mod motor is wider at the outermost valvecover edge as it is tall.
First, huh? Now, I'm not the kind of guy who needs/wants to buy a complete KIT . . . but being the test-mule has it's own level of grunt. OK, let me grab some measurements later today or tomorrow and post back. Hey, maybe I can get those magazine types to fund me

Old 10-16-2005, 09:17   #6 (permalink)

Even if you weren't the first, it's not commonly-enough desired to build a kit. For instance, I'm not the first person installing a T5 (manual) into my Crown Victoria, but they still don't make kits. I know of five in the country. I'll be number six in my range of knowledge. Hmm... maybe *I* should pull together a kit... $$$

Seriously, though- you're basically just looking at an engine/transmission swap, once you get the K-member and transmission Xmember out of the way.

Do you have the body you want to build? Give some details on that.

My Garage
Old 10-22-2005, 13:22   #7 (permalink)

You won't be the first to do a mod motor galaxie; there was one on the power tour this year. I don't know the exact mods needed, but in was in that durned 64 somehow!

p.s: do a 67 if you would, I'm partial!
StuckInThe60's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 13:00   #8 (permalink)

There are alot more mid and late 60's out there than I thought! The stuff from the 60's all appears to be the same size-wise (frame rails and innerfender/st clearance/engine compartment), what about the 70's stuff? I haven't seen one of those in person, it looks the same in pics, but that's misleading. Anyone know if the front clip/engine compartment was changed radically going into the early 70's body style?

The lazy part of me says find something that's already been butchered/hot-rodded and that's missing it's engine and tranny. I figure it would wrong to use somthing that's eligible for, or on its way to a proper restoration when I intend to play Dr. Frankenstein with it. That doesn't apply to, say, a 72. I figure I could buy a few of those and chop them up for fun.

Old 10-23-2005, 14:32   #9 (permalink)

That's very good thinking, BricVic. I don't like taking potentially-true restorations off the market. It shouldn't be too hard to find one someone was planning to restorod. Just keep your eyes on eBay. I'd say figure out what years you liked (keep with the models available with big blocks, to ensure engine fit) and just watch eBay and grab the one you like.

If you get stuck on one year model, it'll be nearly impossible for you to find what you're looking for.

My Garage
Old 10-25-2005, 10:42   #10 (permalink)

OK, I just checked out a '70 (and like an idiot I didn't have a tape measure with me) but it only had a 351 2v and it was tight (not as tight to the innerwalls/st's as a mustang, but still tight looking) Bet they weren't offering a BB anymore at that point. If a BB fits in there it would really be pushing it, and it looks to me like the mod motor wouldn't fit (without eliminating/replacing the front clip entirely which I'm not interested in doing).

I agree Freshmeat, that if I try to pick one specific year I'm overly limiting myself . . . luckily I've never owned one, so I'm not partial to anything. BUT I think I'm eliminating the stuff from the 70's based on engine fitment issues. Gotta find a site that lists when they stopped offering a big-block as a factory option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie