Galaxie Hub Caps... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:26   #1 (permalink)

Galaxie Hub Caps...

Here are my two favourite Ford Galaxie Hub Caps...1966 Model on the top and 1968/69? Model on the bottom...
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2005, 01:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: Galaxie Hub Caps...

You sure that top one is 66? Looks like a 67 XL to me . . . and since I have them, I hope you're wrong.
Blue Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:53   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baron
You sure that top one is 66? Looks like a 67 XL to me . . . and since I have them, I hope you're wrong.
The top one is definately 1966.These Cap's are shown in my American 1966 Ford Galaxie sales Brochure,but not in my Brothers American 1967 Galaxie Sales Brochure.The bottom one is pictured in both my Brothers American 1968 Galaxie and 1969 Galaxie Sales Brochures.I will put Pic's up Tomorrow or something to show you.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:23   #4 (permalink)

Here are some Pic's of these Wheel Covers taken from Genuine Ford Sales Brochures of their time.Here is a 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre Convertible.I also thought these Covers were Standard Equiptment on 1966 Galaxie XL and LTD,but maybe they were Optional or something?.I know they were Standard on 7-Litre Models. Here is a 1966 Galaxie 500 with another type of Wheel Cover for that Year This 1968 Galaxie XL GT Fastback has the other Wheel Cover Type that I have Pictured This 1969 Galaxie XL Convertible also has them... Neither of the Two Wheel Cover Design's that I originally Pictured are shown in a 1967 Ford Galaxie Sales Brochure.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:11   #5 (permalink)

The top one is a 66 cap. :)
Ranger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 22:30   #6 (permalink)

The '69s look great and that fastback … yum!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:31   #7 (permalink)

cool Re: Galaxie Hub Caps...

... [B]FYI That #1 Hubcap at the top of your post is a 66 Ford Galaxie cap but there id a reason for its rarity noone else has addressed as yet.

This special hubcap was only found on 1 car only that being the

1966 Ford Galaxie 7 Litre which is a highly sought after and very collectible car alone

the features of these special 7 Litre cars includes a standard engine of a 428 cu. in in one of 2 configurations either a standard Thunderbird 428 style engine or the other slighty different 428 Thunderbird Special 428 engine...

only one other engine was available in 7 Litre's was special ordered only availability a ultra hot 427 SOHC motor (they called it the cammer, old hot rodder term)

7 Litre's also featured a 7 Litre only grille regardless of badging/emblems ...7 litre emblems were found on trunk lid, glove box door, and front or rear fenders, also 428 cars had 428 emblems on the lower front fender behind front wheels...

front seats on 7 litre cars usually buckets,rear seat bench bucket seat immitation upper back area

both the red convertible and the other darker blue? black car same page of dealer brochure are 7 Litre versions note the grille difference between this 7 Litre car and the light blue standard Galaxie 500 version one on the page below it...

hence the rarer cars arcalled 7 Litre's for short or Galaxie 7 Litre

hope this clears some of the hubcap mystery... BTW hope you got cap cheap...

The go for over $100 each in the USA to restorers

[/B]

Walt
rammed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 21:48   #8 (permalink)

Thanx for your trouble and effort rammed88...But I have a few things to add and wish to correct you on a few things.Firstly,the 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre came Standard with the 7-Litre 428-4V Thunderbird V8 Engine that was rated at 345 Horsepower,Or you could Option for the 7-Litre 427-8V Cobra V8 Engine that was rated at 425 Horsepower.Not all of the 7-Litre 427-8V Galaxies were 'Cammers'.This was a Kit that you purchased from Ford that would fit any 427 Engine wich I believe cost around $2,500 US at the time.All 427-8V Cobra 7-Litre Powered Galaxies were fitted with 4-Speed Top-Loader Manual Gearboxes and none Automatics.The 'Cammer' Engines were rated at 657 Horsepower with Dual Quad Carburettor and 615 Horsepower with Single Quad Carburettor.The Chrome Die-Cast Grille that you mentioned was Standard Equiptment on the 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre Models was not exclusive to them and was also Standard Equiptment on the XL,LTD,and Country Squire Models.The 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre Wheel Cover pictured is not the only one I have and is one of a set of four that cost around $150 US Dollars about 6-Months ago.The 68-9 Cap is also from a set of four Covers that cost about $90 US Dollars to buy around the same time as the others...Thanx !!!
Old 04-09-2005, 13:12   #9 (permalink)

Wink Re: Galaxie Hub Caps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeh
Thanx for your trouble and effort rammed88...But I have a few things to add and wish to correct you on a few things.Firstly,the 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre came Standard with the 7-Litre 428-4V Thunderbird V8 Engine that was rated at 345 Horsepower,Or you could Option for the 7-Litre 427-8V Cobra V8 Engine that was rated at 425 Horsepower.Not all of the 7-Litre 427-8V Galaxies were 'Cammers'.This was a Kit that you purchased from Ford that would fit any 427 Engine wich I believe cost around $2,500 US at the time.All 427-8V Cobra 7-Litre Powered Galaxies were fitted with 4-Speed Top-Loader Manual Gearboxes and none Automatics.The 'Cammer' Engines were rated at 657 Horsepower with Dual Quad Carburettor and 615 Horsepower with Single Quad Carburettor.The Chrome Die-Cast Grille that you mentioned was Standard Equiptment on the 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre Models was not exclusive to them and was also Standard Equiptment on the XL,LTD,and Country Squire Models.The 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre Wheel Cover pictured is not the only one I have and is one of a set of four that cost around $150 US Dollars about 6-Months ago.The 68-9 Cap is also from a set of four Covers that cost about $90 US Dollars to buy around the same time as the others...Thanx !!!
You're wecome for the post however appearantly you miss took what I posted sorry I never said or implied if you reread it carefully you will note I never said all 7 litres were "cammers" or 427 equipped... infact

I have seen more 428 7 litre cars than 427 7 litre both versions do exist... also the engine info I got came from a factory dealer promotional brochure from which customers/buyer selected a car for its features colors and etc..

hence this also stated in the 428 version there was 2 possible 428 engines a standard and higher horesepower available both were designated as t-bird engine but also shown availaable in some ford models...

right the 427 hotter cammer motor was a extra expensee special order option...didn't see cost in the paarticular brochure but your figure sounds about right...

ok, I can conceed the fact that I believed that because the only cars I have seen were 428 equipped that only the cars equipped with the 428 or 427 7 litre engines had the less common grille to go further all those cars of the 66 model year Galaxis which had the 390, aand other smaller engines had the common grille...(I'm a man I can take my lumps when and if they due and admit it)

FYI neither the Squire 4 dr wagon (which was white with original paint etc.) didn't doesn't have 7 litre emblems, the 4 dr with the 428 doesn't have them but it has been repainted etc. but owner said it came with the grille and the 428 as emblems showed... but I didn't ask specifically if it was a 7 litre car which originally had 7 litre emblems...etc.

In the car world I have learned never say never too... Case in point a friend has a ultra rare 69 Mercury Cyclone GT CJ Edition with the 428 Motor...

FYI factory only intended these only to come with 4 speeds in the Cobra Jet, (CJ version) however 50 of these cars were special ordered from factory by customer requests thru their local dealers with automatic transmissions...

So Bruces car is 1 out of only 50... 1969 Mercury Cyclone GT CJ's because it has automatic and 428 instead of the manual in this special car...

anyway enjoy a healthy friendly debate good day Luke

Walt
rammed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 20:44   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammed88
You're wecome for the post however appearantly you miss took what I posted sorry I never said or implied if you reread it carefully you will note I never said all 7 litres were "cammers" or 427 equipped... infact

I have seen more 428 7 litre cars than 427 7 litre both versions do exist... also the engine info I got came from a factory dealer promotional brochure from which customers/buyer selected a car for its features colors and etc..

hence this also stated in the 428 version there was 2 possible 428 engines a standard and higher horesepower available both were designated as t-bird engine but also shown availaable in some ford models...

right the 427 hotter cammer motor was a extra expensee special order option...didn't see cost in the paarticular brochure but your figure sounds about right...

ok, I can conceed the fact that I believed that because the only cars I have seen were 428 equipped that only the cars equipped with the 428 or 427 7 litre engines had the less common grille to go further all those cars of the 66 model year Galaxis which had the 390, aand other smaller engines had the common grille...(I'm a man I can take my lumps when and if they due and admit it)

FYI neither the Squire 4 dr wagon (which was white with original paint etc.) didn't doesn't have 7 litre emblems, the 4 dr with the 428 doesn't have them but it has been repainted etc. but owner said it came with the grille and the 428 as emblems showed... but I didn't ask specifically if it was a 7 litre car which originally had 7 litre emblems...etc.

In the car world I have learned never say never too... Case in point a friend has a ultra rare 69 Mercury Cyclone GT CJ Edition with the 428 Motor...

FYI factory only intended these only to come with 4 speeds in the Cobra Jet, (CJ version) however 50 of these cars were special ordered from factory by customer requests thru their local dealers with automatic transmissions...

So Bruces car is 1 out of only 50... 1969 Mercury Cyclone GT CJ's because it has automatic and 428 instead of the manual in this special car...

anyway enjoy a healthy friendly debate good day Luke

Walt
Thanx Walt...But in your original Post,You said "the features of these special 7 Litre cars includes a standard engine of a 428 cu. in in one of 2 configurations either a standard Thunderbird 428 style engine or the other slighty different 428 Thunderbird Special 428 engine..."
Then you said...
"only one other engine was available in 7 Litre's was special ordered only availability a ultra hot 427 SOHC motor (they called it the cammer, old hot rodder term)". So I was actually correcting you that the 7-Litre Models fitted with the 427 Engine were not "Cammers".Also,I never said that any other Models besides the 7-Litre have the 7-Litre Badges...I just said "The Chrome Die-Cast Grille that you mentioned was Standard Equiptment on the 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre Models was not exclusive to them and was also Standard Equiptment on the XL,LTD,and Country Squire Models".The Badge is'nt part of the Grille obviously...but the Grille was used on other Models.I also have a collection of 1966 Galaxie Literature including several Genuine Dealer Sales or Promotional Brochures for this Model.Due to the High Lift Mechanical Lift Camshaft of the 427-8V Cobra Engine,the Factory listed an Automatic Transmission as 'Not Available' as far as I know...So until I see one or evidence of a Factory Automatic 427-8V Cobra powered 7-Litre 1966 Galaxie,I will believe that none exsist.Are you sure that the 1966 Galaxie '7-Litre' Models had two 428-4V Engines available,My Brochure only mentions one...The 345 Horsepower 428-4V Thunderbird Engine and only has two refferances to a 'Thunderbird Special Engine' inwich one is a 275 Horsepower 390-2V Engine and the other is a 315 Horsepower 390-4V Engine?? The 428-4V Engine had variations in other 1966 Galaxie Models such as Code 'P':428-4V[Police]. Code 'Q':428-4V Code '8':428-4V [Low Compression]. The Code 'Q' Engine is the Standard 7-Litre 428-4V Engine as far as I'm aware,but this Code 'Q' engine was optional on other Models aswell...Thanx again,lukeh !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie