Gas Tank Size - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 07:28   #1 (permalink)

Gas Tank Size

Can anyone tell me the size of the gas tank in my 68 Ford Galaxie XL?
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 09:53   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Gas Tank Size

I'll check my book tonight and post back.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
Always the student

My book didn't specifically say Galaxy, but the best I could figure, it is 20 gal. Then I found this on another forum:

While I'm at it, does anyone know how much the gas tank holds in this car? I am sorry to say I filled it up once from empty and cannot remember if it was 14 or 16 Gal. I do remember it suprised me because I thought a car that size would hold more.

I'm surpized that a long time poster would ask that question, since it has been covered a few times. Out of the mid 60's Galaixies, the '65 has the smallest fuel tank, in 66 and later models the capacity was increased.

Of the 65 through 70-ish Galaxies, the 1965 was only year they used a smaller 20 gallon tank, the 1966 and later tank was definately listed around 25 gallon. Obviously, since the factory tanks are long obsolete, there has been some consolidation of the specific model years into just a few models on the commercial catalogs. As it stands, when you can find one - the 65 tank will fit only one year. The later model tanks with 25 gallon capacity are much easier to find, will fit the 65 (if you change the fuel pickup and use either longer tank straps or in a pinch...might be able to use longer tank mounting bolts.

To get the exact fill to match capacity your tank would have to be completely empty, something that is unlikely to happen if you drove the car to the gas station.

Might be reasonable to accept the fact that there will be a few gallons at the bottom of the tank, even when the guage reads empty.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 22:55   #4 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Many years ago I had a 67 Galaxie XL with 390 cu in and 2bbl carb. This car had a 20 imperial gallon tank, which would be 25 US gallons. If driven properly this car would get 22-23 mpg. It must have been close to empty at one time because I remember bitching about it taking $10. to fill it up. That was half a days pay then.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie