head bolts 260/289 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 08:03   #1 (permalink)

head bolts 260/289

Can you engine guys inform me of the facts, I'm getting mixed info from machine shops?
On 260/289 head bolts, which head bolts pass through water passage if any out of the ten head bolts on each head? I can't find any, but my eyes are not what they were? Plus, mixed info from shop books, so what's the feacts on having to coat any bolts with sealer? My machine shop guy told me he only oils all his bolts? Me too, but I don't want to miss a bolt that could leak either?
Thanks guys!
Paul.
automanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 18:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: head bolts 260/289

I did'nt think that any of them passed through any Water Jackets??It also does'nt make sense that they would as I'd pressume that if they did then the Head Bolts would require a form of gasket or sealing washer...which I don't remember ever seeing on any of them?I have some Windsor Heads I can check out.Plus have a Friend who has built alot of Windsors...I can ask him.
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:32   #3 (permalink)

I checked out some Early 289 Windsor Heads in the Shed...and none of them had the Head Bolt Holes passing through any Water Jackets!! Unless they mean the Thread Holes for the Head Bolts in the Block??Inwich case only the threads on the Headbolts would require some sealant on them.I don't have a Block I can check??
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:15   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeh
I checked out some Early 289 Windsor Heads in the Shed...and none of them had the Head Bolt Holes passing through any Water Jackets!! Unless they mean the Thread Holes for the Head Bolts in the Block??Inwich case only the threads on the Headbolts would require some sealant on them.I don't have a Block I can check??
Hello:
Nice of you to reply and take the time:). Yeah it's in the cylinder block I was concerned about on the 260/289 early FE engines. Your right these's no washers on the head bolts, I've worked on 289 up through 1967 and never saw washers, I guess that is an indicator for water passages situations huh?
I had completed this engine and ended up having to pull the heads back off because the machine shop didn't closely check the guide clearance close enough and one exhause valve seized up in the head and two others were close to doing the same. I just had not thought about this water passage or jacket head bolt factor until I closely read the FelPro head gasket instructions in detail this time. I also have some older shop repair and service manuels and in there they talk about putting sealer on any bolts that pass through water, but don't tell you which ones? Plus, FelPro has what they consider an updated torque pattern and tightness guide, which they tell you will be different than Ford info of the past, but that with the new head gasket technology there info should be followed to the letter, to bad the English professors that write and approve the printing of the information aren't as careful about the details of what else is going on? I just don't want to end up having to pull this again! If you get any new info please let me know, I'm not going to proceed until I have a deffinent answer on this! Have a great day!
Paul
San Francisco.
automanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie