help 1963 galaxie - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Galaxie Galaxie discussion area

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 22:24   #1 (permalink)

confused help 1963 galaxie

my friend has a 1963 galaxie with a 352 2bbl and a c4. the other day he took it out for a spin and the car died on him. we towed it back to his house and changed out the voltoge regulator,we polarized it, checked the battery for full charge and it is good and checked the generator to see if it was charging and it is; changed out the sparkplugs, ignition coil,and sparkplug wires. and we are still having difficulty getting it to start. when we try to start it the engine and it makes a sound like the starter is not getting enough juice to crank the engine over. earlier my friend took the starter off and tested it with the battery and the gear turned but he said it turned a bit slow pleeeeeease help somebody.
bullitt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 03:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: help 1963 galaxie

When you say it died...do you mean the engine cut out while running?or do you mean that it would'nt start again after he turned off with the key last?
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:11   #3 (permalink)

the engine died while he was driving.
bullitt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 20:45   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt2001
the engine died while he was driving.
Well if the engine died while driving...that is'nt caused by the starter motor.There are exception's,but in most cases either there is a problem with the fuel system,or the electrical system.So possibly either fuel is'nt coming from the carburettor...or the spark plugs are not getting the correct spark if any.There are alot of other possibilities...but these are the most common fault's.Sometimes something simple like an old fuel filter can block up,and your engine will just die while you are driving...or a wire can just break off with age somewhere and cut off your ignition system.You have to find out what it's not getting and trace it back through the relevant system...Luke!!
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 22:30   #5 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Hi, some times the condenser in the distributor can fail, suggest you check it out or just replace it, they are cheap to buy. I've had that happen on my old Galaxie, but eventually I put in a pertronix ignition which eliminates points and condenser.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 20:36   #6 (permalink)

I would highly recommend installing pertronix in your car. I used to have problems similar to yours in my '67 Galaxie and the points were usually the culprit. Ive got pertronix in my '66 ford now and no problems.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:02   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt2001
my friend has a 1963 galaxie with a 352 2bbl and a c4. the other day he took it out for a spin and the car died on him. we towed it back to his house and changed out the voltoge regulator,we polarized it, checked the battery for full charge and it is good and checked the generator to see if it was charging and it is; changed out the sparkplugs, ignition coil,and sparkplug wires. and we are still having difficulty getting it to start. when we try to start it the engine and it makes a sound like the starter is not getting enough juice to crank the engine over. earlier my friend took the starter off and tested it with the battery and the gear turned but he said it turned a bit slow pleeeeeease help somebody.
On those things (y block) its usually the capacitor acroos the points , go find a replacement for the points ( you can get kits to replace them ) and forget it (used to be able to buy a transistor kit 20 years ago)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Galaxie